What's new

Harley Quinn is itty bitty committee Asian and purposely not fun now

Al-O-Meter

Harley Quinn has always been a blue-eyed blonde pixie bombshell speaking in a heavy Brooklyn accent with a firecracker ditzy personality that deceptively masked her considerable intellect. Fans immediately took a liking to her, including a huge number of girls who still wear Margo Robbie’s costume on Halloween.

She loves Mista J, and she loves Poison Ivy, and sometimes she even loves Bruce Wayne, but it is always 1,000%. Harley Quinn is so over the top and out front that it is difficult not to have a fondness for the character.

The above clip is from a series on MAX. A new group floated an idea to completely change Harley Quinn and MAX told them to pound sand. Amazon stepped in to rescue the abomination and now we are going to have an Asian American Harley Quinn who is not hot, ditzy, or fun. Instead the showrunners are trying to subvert expectations, or in their words: "Dr. Quinzel was a little bit more serious, and then when she became Harley, she got really goofy and weird. So we thought, what if we reverse that? When she's Dr. Quinzel, she's a little bit more whimsical and fun, and then when she's Harley Quinn, she's scary."

Here is the new Amazon Prime Harley Quinn:
BB1m71Kg.img

Can't they create new diverse characters? It's almost lazy at this point.
It is lazy. There is a huge market for characters, even lead characters, who are women and ethnically Asian.

960x0.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/RinoTheBouncer/status/1783947216412881030

What I don't understand is the need to deliberately set out to vandalize a piece of culture. Harley Quinn has been reimagined many times, and I like most of them. Her portrayal in Batman: White Knight is very different in tone but the character is still recognizable.

I feel like what these showrunners are doing is purposely crashing a car on the freeway so people will stop and gawk. It is beyond lazy.