What's new

Offseason Plan + Lauri Thread

Watching the playoffs makes me think if we dont get a true #1 to pair with lauri we just move on from him. Jazz is not gonna build around a #2 who relies on assist. Playoffs have shown us iso is still king. This rebuild is going take a while.

To be precise he said it wasnt plan A, B or C.
I don’t think it is the plan but I also don’t trust anything he says in a public forum to be gospel. I think it was asked with respect to the amount of picks we have but can’t remember.

I just think there are enough buyers that stars won’t be available at bargain prices so he likely doesn’t go that route. I think we end up doing some light pruning of the roster or some mid additions. It will frustrate the hell out of a lot of us that they don’t move hard enough in one direction or the other.

I have no idea what the right thing to do is… I just think next years draft looks pretty ripe through 5-6 and I want in one way or another.

I don't know how to square that with Ainge's statement that he doesn't want to bring in a bunch of 20 year olds again to camp. This to me sounds like he wants us to try to be more competitive this year. It's going to be really interesting off-season.

He said he didn't want to bring six 20 y.o.s. We'll probably have 4 or 5 after trades.

I don’t think it is the plan but I also don’t trust anything he says in a public forum to be gospel. I think it was asked with respect to the amount of picks we have but can’t remember.

I just think there are enough buyers that stars won’t be available at bargain prices so he likely doesn’t go that route. I think we end up doing some light pruning of the roster or some mid additions. It will frustrate the hell out of a lot of us that they don’t move hard enough in one direction or the other.

I have no idea what the right thing to do is… I just think next years draft looks pretty ripe through 5-6 and I want in one way or another.
Here is the question and full answer:

With multiple draft picks and a lot of cap space, what optionality do you have this offseason?

“Yeah lots of good options ... and that’s that’s what we’re trying to keep is our is our flexibility and options open. You know, we don’t ... our plan is not to come to training camp with six kids under 20 years old. That’s not ... that’s not a real good option for anybody ... I can’t say that that won’t happen and say that’s not like option A or option B maybe not option C.”

I personally read that more on the lines that you can only have so many young kids on the roster. I think he thinks its a bad option for development.

With multiple draft picks and a lot of cap space, what optionality do you have this offseason?

I personally read that more on the lines that you can only have so many young kids on the roster. I think he thinks its a bad option for development.
You don't want a ton of projects, especially ones that have significant overlap. It's common sense. It's why these trades were people are returning multiple picks this year along with a bunch of mid tier rookie contract players for Lauri is preposterous

Yeah and I agree. Having that many young guys its hard to get good dev time. I think it hints more towards us moving the later picks in some sort of consolidation or doing the thing where you trade #32 for like 6 second round picks by moving backwards a few times or something.

But I think if there aren't good opportunities they will just draft in those spots and deal with it. I think ideally in a rebuild you are adding two good prospects each year and a speculative add.. like a solid two-way guy.

Yeah and I agree. Having that many young guys its hard to get good dev time. I think it hints more towards us moving the later picks in some sort of consolidation or doing the thing where you trade #32 for like 6 second round picks by moving backwards a few times or something.

But I think if there aren't good opportunities they will just draft in those spots and deal with it. I think ideally in a rebuild you are adding two good prospects each year and a speculative add.. like a solid two-way guy.
My bet is he tries to move up using the no 10, no 29 and no 32 picks (plus maybe adding something/player too). This is easier said than done though.

My bet is he tries to move up using the no 10, no 29 and no 32 picks (plus maybe adding something/player too). This is easier said than done though.
I think 29/32 can get you to the low 20s easily if they have someone they like. Not sure those picks move the needle moving up from 10… but maybe.

I think getting Sarr and another quality player in this draft and trading within reason the experienced non Lauri players for draft assets is the best value move this off-season.

I outlined it as best as I could in this series of tweets but us trading Lauri is more complex than it seems on the surface.

View: https://x.com/ArtTakesNote/status/1795474799621460093

View: https://x.com/ArtTakesNote/status/1795474800581943452

View: https://x.com/ArtTakesNote/status/1795474801798049969

Do teams with cap space have to wait 6 months? I don't see why their ability to R+E would be any different than the Jazz.

EDIT: Eliza is correct. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q95

Conversely, a team cannot extend a player it receives in trade for six months, if the extension exceeds the limits of an extend-and-trade3.

I said it was 95%+ chances of Lauri being R+E. Now I'd say it's 99.5%.

Last edited:
Do teams with cap space have to wait 6 months? I don't see why their ability to R+E would be any different than the Jazz.

EDIT: Eliza is correct. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q95

I said it was 95%+ chances of Lauri being R+E. Now I'd say it's 99.5%.
I think he really wants to be here for a multitude of reasons. The R+E is likely super high (likely number 1). I think its also a reason you can have a direct conversation and say "we aren't bringing in extra vets or help and actually might sell off a couple pieces to help us have a high pick next year... we plan on having space and making some win now moves at some point in the next 18 months or so... you cool?" and he might play along.

Later both parties could revisit the arrangement if it is going poorly but for now get the deal done. And again... I would give him all our space or as much as we are allowed to try and get some years without raises on the backend. Will be more impactful later than it is now with an extra 10-12 million in space.

I do think its key to be direct. I think having the rug pulled was a big part of the issue last year. Trade off one or two vets this offseason. Roll with a lot of the young guys or guys like Lofton. Manage some injuries very conservatively.

I think he really wants to be here for a multitude of reasons. The R+E is likely super high (likely number 1). I think its also a reason you can have a direct conversation and say "we aren't bringing in extra vets or help and actually might sell off a couple pieces to help us have a high pick next year... we plan on having space and making some win now moves at some point in the next 18 months or so... you cool?" and he might play along.

Later both parties could revisit the arrangement if it is going poorly but for now get the deal done. And again... I would give him all our space or as much as we are allowed to try and get some years without raises on the backend. Will be more impactful later than it is now with an extra 10-12 million in space.

I do think its key to be direct. I think having the rug pulled was a big part of the issue last year. Trade off one or two vets this offseason. Roll with a lot of the young guys or guys like Lofton. Manage some injuries very conservatively.

On a human level, it's got to be much easier to deal with upfront. It also feels like you're making progress whereas if you keep quitting half way through it feels like the FO is actively undermining any work you put in. They should probably just not lie to Lauri again. Money talks, Lauri will R+E....but the FO should be honest about what they are doing.

On a human level, it's got to be much easier to deal with upfront. It also feels like you're making progress whereas if you keep quitting half way through it feels like the FO is actively undermining any work you put in. They should probably just not lie to Lauri again. Money talks, Lauri will R+E....but the FO should be honest about what they are doing.
I thought Lauri had a good thought or quote. Can't remember who it was that got it but it was something along the lines of "my job is to be so good we can't tank". Which is the right attitude approach imo. Number 1 having a plan... and number 2 letting him in on the thinking is key.

I think he likes being the man, I think the market fits his personality/family, and the money should line up. Just let him know that you may move 1 or 2 of Collin, John Collins, JC, and Kessler to provide some runway for younger players. Its kinda hard to justify Kessler under that umbrella but I think he is less likely to be moved than the others.

Markkanen for Randle was the hot topic on the internet for a couple minutes. It's nice to see that fizzle out. I've learned something about Knicks fans though. You might be a Knick fan if you believe that trading Randle for Lauri makes the Knicks instant contenders, but you also believe that Randle is the better player.

Here's my off-season plan. I've always maintained that for a team like ours the best path to contention is via the draft and the best way to get a top tier talent in the draft is to tank. And every single player who is not in the long-term plans of the team should be available for a trade. Convert current value that won't be useful when the time comes to contend into future value that might be useful when we actually are fighting for something.

The hardest one to figure out in that frame IMO is Lauri. And he very well might be very useful piece of the next contending Jazz team. I really like Lauri and I think we struck gold with that trade. I think if we get one or two top tier offensive initiators Lauri would be one of the best complementary pieces offensively you can ask for in the league. So...

Step 1. Extend Lauri. Reasoning - I think he can be part of the next contending Jazz team.

Step 2. Trade away everyone who is not in the plans long-term. I do NOT care about whether we field a respectable roster next season... in fact... if we start a couple of rookies, that wouldn't be the worst thing. Sexton, Clarkson, Collins... find the best offers for them and ship them out.

Step 3. Draft. If you really love one of the prospects that would require trade up - trade up. It should be much cheaper to trade up in this draft than in most. (Lets say we trade up a few spots and get Castle - this is my preferred player, but I can buy in a few others and I'm not heavily invested in any of them) . If you love another player who drops in the 20s for some reason, use 29 and 32 to trade up for him(Lets say Zach Edey drops to 21-22 like he did in Vecenie's last mock)

Step 4. Find good, low price(!!!) reclamation projects that might be worth taking a shot on in FA/trade - How cheap would someone like Patrick Williams be?

Do not forget - the best asset you have is your pick in a really highly rated draft! Treat it like it! Do NOT get tempted by the promise of a few more wins. In 5 years nobody will care whether you went 20-62 or 32-50. Everybody will care about whether you have a franchise type player and the 2025 draft seems to be one of those drafts where there might be a few of those.

Projected depth chart for 2024-2025 season:

PG: Stephon Castle(cuz he wants to be a PG :D ), Scotty Pippen Jr(FA acquisition)
SG: Keyonte George, Naji Marshall(FA)
SF: Lauri Markkanen, Brice Sensabaugh, Aaron Wiggins(FA)
PF: Taylor Hendricks, Patrick Williams(via FA/trade), Darius Bazley
C: Zack Edey, Walker Kessler(in case Hardy really don't like him and he can't beat even Edey for the starting spot), Omer Yurtseven

Or...something of the sort. Go for top 5 pick(a lot of load management... a lot of being cautious with minor injuries). This is my plan to try to tank while keeping Lauri. You buy Lauri's patience with a new rich contract... and you hope the draft gods are with you next year.
Good post. But as Danny said, he’ll go big game hunting. He’s been doing it ever since he saw how good Lauri is but hasn’t been able to catch anything yet. If he comes home empty-handed again this offseason, he might look at your plan.