What's new

2018 Annual JazzFanz LEGENDARY Players - Round 1 Match 1 - Thee Jazz Fan vs Rubashov

Who would win in a 7 game matchup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gandalfe

Thee Jazz Fan -

John Stockton/ Penny Hardaway
Manu Ginobili/ Drazen Petrovic
Dominique Wilkins /Grant Hill
Karl Malone/ Ron Artest
Alonzo Mourning/ Yao Míng

Rubashov -

Gary Payton/ Tim Hardaway
Michael Jordan/ Mark Price
James Worthy/ Adrian Dantley
Kevin McHale/ Larry Nance Sr.
David Robinson/ Robert Parish

The Jazz Fan’s argument:
This is a revenge game for Stockton and Malone!!!

As great a competitor Stockton and Malone were, it will be intensified in this revenge matchup, it’s personal for these two. In this matchup, one thing to note is, Jordan said that out of all their finals matchups, which I don’t think the bulls opponent ever had more then two wins, the jazz were his toughest matchup, and Stockton and Malone didn’t play with very good rosters. The best player they played with during their championship contender-ship was a broken down Hornacek with two broken knees. Stockton and Malone routinely elevated the play of their lesser talented teammates, who often thought they could leave the team and play at the same level. That rarely happened. Now!! Now they are playing with other talented players with the same mental makeup as them. Jordan won’t know what hit him!!!

We will be running a lot of Stockton and Malone’s favorite play, the play everyone knew they would run, but couldn’t stop it regardless. We will also run pick and roll with Stockton and Wilkins, once Wilkins gets a full head of steam towards the basket, he can’t be stopped, with his combination athleticism and power. This will be a screening offense with players cutting to the basket for easy dunks and layups the way Stockton and Malone did it for 18 years.

I believe I have the most proficient shot making team in this competition. Stockton, Malone, Mourning, and Wilkins shot over 50% for the majority of their careers, and Manu had one season shooting over 50%. With Stockton being the main playmaker, and racking up easy assists, will only make this team even more proficient from the floor, then add in guys like Yao Míng, Petrovic, and Grant Hill. Hill is a pg playing sf. Petrovic is easily one of the best shooters to ever live, and Míng was an unstoppable force in the paint wielding a soft touch around the rim, and a smooth stroke from the outside

My teams character and make up.

My team is filled with some of the greatest competitors and guys who played with an intense passion for the game. No one worked harder then Malone, his conditioning is unrivaled in the history of the game other then his running mate John Stockton. There is perhaps no one smarter on the court then John Stockton. If there was a guy that you could say played as close to perfect on almost every possession, and made the right play and decision it was Stockton. He was great at taking advantage of every opportunity that came up, and a coach on the court directing traffic.

Mourning’s passion for the game ran deep, a very passionate intense player as a offensive player and a ferocious defensive player. He sacrificed more then most to play a game he loved. Not even a kidney disease could stop him. While the disease limited what he could do, he was a factor off the bench in the heat winning a title, he was still an effective defensive player who still was averaging two blocks while mainly playing only 20 minutes. He gave everything he had to the game.

Ginóbili, what can you say about this guy, such a great player, a great secondary playmaker and finisher at the rim who could play above it and shoot lights out. The only thing he cared about is winning. He rarely played 30 or more min a game yet he stayed a Spur for the duration of his career, because winning was most important to him, he’s a winner in every sense of the word. Dominique was blessed with some of the greatest god given physical attributes, a powerful athletic highlight film. Most players like him tend to rest on what they have and not go full speed ahead, but not Wilkins which is attested to how great a scorer he was. He was often the only scoring option on his hawks teams, and he still couldn’t be stopped.

On my bench I’ve got Penny, Petrovic, Hill, Artest, and Yao.

Petrovic was a supremely confident and intense player who didn’t back down from anyone, an elite shooter who had the total package and he talked a good game and had the ability to get you off of your game, he could score from the outside, post you up and take it to the hoop or set a teammate up for an easy basket, had he not passed away so soon and so young, he would’ve been an all time great. Reggie Miller said himself the Petrovic was the greatest shooter who ever lived.

Hill, before the injuries hit was among the best of of his time, a smart cerebral playmaker who was more athletic then people realize.

https://youtu.be/GVUCve5BOkQ

Artest is the guy that did all of the thankless tasks to help a team win. He was a fierce defender, and with the personalities on this team, I think he can hold it together and not lose complete control and use some of his insanity to be a positive on this team.

https://youtu.be/u1ZyVAHLzAM

Yao is the force on my second unit, no one can stop him in the paint, once he got it there, with his soft touch and length, game over.

Rubashov's argument:

Aside from having the best player in the game, I've focused my starting five around defence and big game players.

Obviously every team in this comp is stacked but i think outside of Thee's big three, my team is deeper at every position. I concede that thee will win at PF position but i reckon Worthy v Wilkins and Stockton v Payton is pretty damn close to line ball, Robinson v Zo and MJ v his spare parts is clearly a huge win to me. Additionally I think my bench is deeper.

Man Thee's write up is huge, (I skipped it) he needs a job or something. i voted for me 1-0 close the voting...

It would take Malone one Elbow to take out the admiral, and when he did it in real life, it was a regular foul, and there was no suspensions handed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubashov.

Who’s taking big shots for idiot? Manu? MJ or Worthybwould blanket him.

That’s a key deciding factor for me here. Rub has MJ and another Finals MVP in Worthy.

If Ruby wins this, it will be plain MJ jock riding/gang votes. Not that I don’t love him too. I have never seen such a lame team gathered around him before. Considering this one was deep af, just smh.

Rubashov.

Who’s taking big shots for idiot? Manu? MJ or Worthybwould blanket him.

That’s a key deciding factor for me here. Rub has MJ and another Finals MVP in Worthy.

Stockton is on a short list of the best elite clutch players in the history of the game. Not only that but he can take over the last 5-10 min of a ball game. Just look at the Houston game six. He not only put the team on his back but hit the shot that sent the jazz to their first finals, idiot!!!

Robinson struggled against power players like Malone and Zo.

In their peak years Robinson outplayed Malone fairly consistently in head to head matchups. Even for their whole careers their stats are pretty close head to head.

Malone 23.6 ppg on 47% shooting, 10.7 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 2.8 TOVs, and 0.9 blocks
Robinson 19.1 ppg on 51 % shooting, 10.4 rebounds, 2.9 TOVs, and 2.9 blocks

Malone Scored 4 more points per game but he also attempted 6 more shots each game and was less efficient. The rest of their numbers are pretty similar except that David was playing some incredible defense and protecting the rim very well. This is also across 54 games so its a pretty good sample size.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...vid+Robinson&player_id2=robinda01&idx=players

In their peak years Robinson outplayed Malone fairly consistently in head to head matchups. Even for their whole careers their stats are pretty close head to head.

Malone 23.6 ppg on 47% shooting, 10.7 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 2.8 TOVs, and 0.9 blocks

Malone Scored 4 more points per game but he also attempted 6 more shots each game and was less efficient. The rest of their numbers are pretty similar except that David was playing some incredible defense and protecting the rim very well. This is also across 54 games so its a pretty good sample size.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...vid+Robinson&player_id2=robinda01&idx=players

Those numbers are meaningless I watched the ****ing games you idiot. Quit quoting ****ing stats, and he routinely got outplayed by Malone and types like Zo routinely. Those stats don’t show what happened in those games.

No substitute for being lazy

As far as I remember, Stockton and Malone never lost a playoff series to Robinson or Robinson and Duncan.

Yep, neither Duncan or Robinson beat Malone and Stockton, and none of the series were even competitive as far as wins and losses go

http://www.landofbasketball.com/head_to_head/jazz_vs_spurs_all_time.htm

Those numbers are meaningless I watched the ****ing games you idiot. Quit quoting ****ing stats, and he routinely got outplayed by Malone and types like Zo routinely. Those stats don’t show what happened in those games.

Nah, you were too young to really remember them properly plus you were obviously blinded by your fandom.

All you need to do is click the link, those are numbers you can take to the bank

Those don't show the players. Those show what the teams did. I already posted the players numbers and disapproved your claim.

Last edited: