What's new

2022 NBA Draft Thread: We Going to Have a Pick! (lmao jk)

Jaylin Williams looks a lot like Kelly Olymyk to me. He's a guy who falls to the 2nd round because he has underwhelming length and athletic ability plus the 3pt shot doesn't exist yet. But he's very skilled and the shot is pretty. He seems to be able to move his feet well enough to be a passable defender and he is big enough to be a passable rim protector who can take charges/rebound.

Jake Fischer at B/R draft notes from the Combine -- summary Post from another board...

* There’s little consensus of how the top three choices will unfold between Orlando, Oklahoma City (drafting No. 2) and Houston (No. 3), but most NBA figures believe those picks will be some order of Smith, Holmgren and Duke forward Paolo Banchero. Yet league figures have consistently mentioned the Magic front office’s affinity for length, particularly length on the perimeter, as a clue they’ll target Holmgren—considered to have the most guard-like skill package of the trio and the most superstar potential.

* The idea of incorporating Smith or Holmgren into Orlando’s rebuild has sparked an expectation among league personnel that Bamba, a restricted free agent this summer, is likely to depart the franchise, especially after being considered a trade candidate prior to February’s trade deadline.

* The additional connective tissue between Holmgren and the Magic is the prospect’s close relationship with Orlando point guard Jalen Suggs, the No. 5 pick in the 2021 draft. Holmgren and Suggs both starred at Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis, where the two players overlapped during a dominant stretch of four straight state titles.

* Given that, there’s a strong belief among rival teams that Sacramento will explore trading the fourth selection, either out of the draft entirely for an impact veteran or down later in the lottery to net a contributing rotation player in the process. The expectation of Smith, Holmgren and Banchero representing the top three puts the Kings front office in a strong trade position, where the uncertainty of the fourth selection could prompt eager teams to leap up to secure their prized prospect. The draft, in one sense, could begin in earnest after the perceived top three are off the board.

* All that being said, there’s definitive belief Sharpe’s range begins at No. 4, with several team executives telling B/R he has the talent and athletic profile that could have been worthy of the No. 1 pick if he had played at Kentucky.

* In addition to Sacramento at No. 4, league personnel have pegged the Portland Trail Blazers and New Orleans Pelicans—picking seventh and eighth, respectively—as strong trade candidates.

* This draft is considered deep in talent between Nos. 12 and 40. Multiple agents and league executives at the combine told B/R they expect varying rankings from each team, where players that one front office deemed in the lottery may actually be available in the 20s, and vice versa.

* Oklahoma City, holding the Nos. 12 and 30 picks, Memphis, with picks Nos. 22 and 29, and San Antonio, owners of the ninth, 20th and 25th selections, have all been described as teams to monitor for trade-up scenarios.

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10036369-nba-draft-buzz-insiders-explain-why-chet-holmgren-makes-sense-at-no-1

My draft hot takes that I only sort of believe…

1- Shaedon Sharpe slides from 5ish to 9/10 on draft night. Too much mystery… no game film… some weird personality stuff maybe. GMs get spooked.

2- Chet falls to 3. Presti is a man of mystery… Orlando decides they are taking Smith. Presti is eyeballing Wemby and decides Banchero is easier to build around and they will get him to defend.

3- Knicks take TyTy because of CAA connections and NY boos the pick vociferously.

4- Kings do something weird. This won’t be hard. They have some good players but they have pieces that are so hard to fit with especially together and they have prematurely put a playoff mandate on themselves which is dumb… and their GM who is actually okay has a one year deal.

Based on interviews so far, it seems the Jazz may be fishing round in the 2nd round. Jalen Williams appears to be rising after the Combine, though. Both Atlanta and Charlotte have mid-2nd round picks. Ooh the intrigue!

View: https://twitter.com/BensHoops/status/1527786396349476864

I think they are looking for undrafted dudes or guys they can buy a pick in the mid second round. I think at very least the smart thing for them would be to buy a pick in the late 50s because if you sign one of those guys it only counts as like 900k against the cap versus 1.7M minimum… can help us duck the tax or give us around 2M+ in savings… it’s essentially a free player.

I really, really, really like Dyson Daniels. I love that he measured out a bit taller and longer than Klay Thompson. I love the consistent energy level he plays with. I also think it's unfair to expect a skinny 18 year-old to consistently make 3pt shots. It's not a natural motion for most shooters until they're able to add strength. Daniels has such confidence and touch in his floater game that I have to believe he'll work out his shooting. I think Daniels legit has some star potential.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1_q6b7r-sY

Last edited:
Guys I'd feel confident will be in the top 10 of a re-draft in 2 or 3 years: Smith, Chet, Paolo, Ivey, Daniels, Hardy, Duren, Murray, Sharpe.

Other guys I might bet on having an impact: Dieng, Mathurin, Tari, TyTy, Jovic, Moore, J.Williams, M.Williams, Terry, Ochai, Branham I guess, and probably Kessler and Liddell at some level.

No idea what to do with: Griffin, Davis, Wesley, Sochan.
- I'd want to know why A.J. Griffin doesn't move well and if that's going to improve somehow.
- I'd want to know Johnny Davis will shoot at least league average.
- I'd want to see measurements, athletic testing and workouts with Sochan to believe he can come in and play a Precious Achiuwa role.
- I'd want to be convinced that E.J. Liddell can be an impact defender at the NBA level and not just bully college kids.

Last edited: