What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

My favorite line in the article:

"Even now, the draft is “definitely more art than science,” said Morey, who generally prides himself on the science part."

I think people are constantly forgetting this. Sometimes Prospect A can be better than Prospect B throughout their pre-draft careers, but ultimately prospect B turns out better just cuz. Sometimes you just got to make a vibe call.

Trade 10 + 29 + future 2nd + Kelly Olynyk exception to the Suns for 22 + Overpaid Scrub + the Suns unprotected '31.

The Jazz keep 22 and 31 and gain an awesome future asset (lots of unprotected picks can entice any team to trade a non MVP player - great asset to acquire).

Suns save salary, get a better pick and would likely draft a quality center which this draft has some. Get a 2nd for a tiny bit more wiggle room and they get another draft pick which they could trade or keep (Bronny).

Last edited:
I wish I knew exactly what to think of Walker Kessler. He would be our best trade up asset outside of future picks.

Scotto seems to believe the Jazz covet a talent upgrade. A lot of people are mentioning a Lavine trade. With John Collins’ strong finish to the season, I think the Lavine for Collins/Clarkson trade might be on the table. We’d probably have to add some picks. Might cost #10 depending on the evaluation of Collins.

Good article.

“The draft, we know, is always a crapshoot,” said one longtime Eastern Conference scout. “Is it clear cut? Never.”

And yet, Morey said, all the volatility is “very good for the league,” and perhaps one of the reasons for this modern age of parity. If teams can get stars like Tyrese Haliburton at no. 12, or Devin Booker at no. 13, or Jalen Brunson at no. 33, or (as Morey did) Tyrese Maxey at no. 21, it gives teams across the spectrum a chance to get better. And it creates an even greater argument (along with the league’s reformed lottery odds) against tanking.

Scotto seems to believe the Jazz covet a talent upgrade. A lot of people are mentioning a Lavine trade. With John Collins’ strong finish to the season, I think the Lavine for Collins/Clarkson trade might be on the table. We’d probably have to add some picks. Might cost #10 depending on the evaluation of Collins.
That's quite possibly the worst thing we can do right now. I will believe it when I see it... but I do not believe Ainge is that clueless about how to build a contender. I do not believe any serious person in the league can see Lavine as a significant piece of a contending team.

I believe the Scoto stuff is coming from an interview he did with a Jazz podcaster at SLC Dunk around a week ago. Iirc it wasn't a definitive statement, it was more of a they could go that route kind of thing.

I saw another report on Lavine a few days ago that his market was basically nothing and they may have to attach stuff to move him. Only way I do it is if its a straight JCx2 swap

I wish I knew exactly what to think of Walker Kessler. He would be our best trade up asset outside of future picks.

I honestly don't think the Jazz are too committed to him. I think they want to play 5-out and drive the ball. Kessler is basically a limited play finisher. He's not a scorer per se. He's not a ball mover. He's a lob threat who needs to be more physically assertive.

I honestly don't think the Jazz are too committed to him. I think they want to play 5-out and drive the ball. Kessler is basically a limited play finisher. He's not a scorer per se. He's not a ball mover. He's a lob threat who needs to be more physically assertive.
So if this is what they think... would you move Kessler and 10 for #3 or maybe would Atlanta do Kessler/Clarkson/10 for #1 and Capela. Shaves $10M plus from their cap crunch for the year. It would mean we have to watch Capela for a year though.

So if this is what they think... would you move Kessler and 10 for #3 or maybe would Atlanta do Kessler/Clarkson/10 for #1 and Capela. Shaves $10M plus from their cap crunch for the year. It would mean we have to watch Capela for a year though.

I don't think Kessler has that much trade value, tbh. I think a few teams who are tight on cap space might be interested, e.g., Pels, Grizzlies, etc.

I don't think Kessler has that much trade value, tbh. I think a few teams who are tight on cap space might be interested, e.g., Pels, Grizzlies, etc.
Atlanta is tight on cap space doe. I would think it would be fair value or close to it in this draft. I'm not sure I'd do either deal personally. Was just curious.

That's quite possibly the worst thing we can do right now. I will believe it when I see it... but I do not believe Ainge is that clueless about how to build a contender. I do not believe any serious person in the league can see Lavine as a significant piece of a contending team.
I mean a Collins/Clarkson straight swap for LaVine is fine in my eyes. I wouldn’t add 10 or anything close to that value.

I mean a Collins/Clarkson straight swap for LaVine is fine in my eyes. I wouldn’t add 10 or anything close to that value.
I would actually be trying to get something... I know... I know... real homer deal, but if there really is no market for that deal right now it feels like they could get a little desperate.

I would actually be trying to get something... I know... I know... real homer deal, but if there really is no market for that deal right now it feels like they could get a little desperate.
You have gone full homer with your trade proposals lately lol. Of course I’d be down tho.

"The Jazz are expected to be open to trading their picks in this year’s draft, including No. 10 overall, and some people around the league believe team owner Ryan Smith is ready to add more high-level talent to the roster, Scotto writes, adding that Jazz CEO Danny Ainge has “aggressively monitored” the trade market."

Back