What's new

A rotation prediction from Tony Jones.

Donovan and Rudy’s numbers are too high. Conley a minute or two too high. Ed Davis too low. Jeff Green probably gets a couple more minutes.

And Exum? What I think is funny is that TJ has been reflecting back to the fan base how important the FO views Exum, and even mentions some vagueries like how they think he could be “special,” without elaborating on what that means. I’m having a hard time reconciling what he/they may mean by special with someone who, in their fifth year (technically sixth) he’s projecting to get 19 mpg, unless TJ is really trying to keep his opinion and interpretation out of it but this is reading between the lines. But, then again, this chart isn’t necessarily what Tony thinks should happen, but rather what Tony thinks will happen.

We brought in Ed Davis to play 14 mpg? Nah, G.

We are going to have a lot of games where we start well and put the bench in while we’re ahead. Gobert, Mitchell, and Conley are all going to play less that what TJ has above. That means we are going to see a lot of Davis, Green, Royce, and Mudiay/Exum.

I think Jeff Green would get more minutes than this, just playing longer stints. He'd take some of Jae Crowder and Thabo's minutes. He just needs to prove he'll rebound.
I agree with Royce starting at the 4. He's like this team's version of Bryon Russell, that 5th starter who defends, goes to the boards, hits open shots and has some ability to drive.
I also think Royce will get a few minutes at the 2-guard to spell Donovan.
Mudiay played 27 MPG last year for the Knicks. I think he gets a bit more than what Tony is showing here, and will have a shot at backing up Mitchell at the 2, but we do have a bit of a log-jam with Exum and Royce.

Our bench is ballin. Looks like the Jazz are copying what the Raptors did last year, in terms of depth. Exum/Mudiay/Ingles/Green/Davis is one of the better benches in the league.

Repeating what others have said, I'd say fewer minutes to the top guys and some more to Green/Davis.

No idea who winds up taking those bench guard spots between Mudiay/Exum, just need one of them to be a serviceable 8th man type of guy and we'll be set.

Jazz need to factor in some rest and “load management” for their starters through the whole regular season so they're healthy and rested going into the playoffs. It’s pretty obvious that the Raptors don’t win without Kawhi and the Warriors don’t lose without KD, Boogie and Thompson. Injuries are the great equalizer and 82 games is a grind. A good bench helps you do that better. Quin needs to have Gobert, Conley and Mitchell healthy to have a shot.

We brought in Ed Davis to play 14 mpg? Nah, G.

We are going to have a lot of games where we start well and put the bench in while we’re ahead. Gobert, Mitchell, and Conley are all going to play less that what TJ has above. That means we are going to see a lot of Davis, Green, Royce, and Mudiay/Exum.
We hope! I'm hoping Conley can play fewer mins, but depends on other guys stepping up. Quin has a lot of roster flexibility. Hopefully everyone can be fresh and relatively healthy for the playoffs, especially the older guys like Ingles.

Last edited:
My only issue with starting Royce at the 4 is that we don't have him backing up Donovan at the 2. Which means we'd be counting on Exum and Mudiay for reliable production off the bench in the backcourt. Which makes me nervous as hell. I still think starting Green is the move.

My only issue with starting Royce at the 4 is that we don't have him backing up Donovan at the 2. Which means we'd be counting on Exum and Mudiay for reliable production off the bench in the backcourt. Which makes me nervous as hell. I still think starting Green is the move.
I agree.
I would prefer Conley, Mitchell, bojan, green, gobert.
Royce, X, Davis, Ingles for the bench.
Mudiay, niang, etc only playing very rarely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Everybody should get 20 minutes

Everybody should get 20 minutes
It’s only fair. The players’ association needs to get involved to make sure these guys at the end of the bench get a fair shake. Of course, that ain’t happening with Chris Paul at the helm.

Doug McDermott for PA president!

I agree.
I would prefer Conley, Mitchell, bojan, green, gobert.
Royce, X, Davis, Ingles for the bench.
Mudiay, niang, etc only playing very rarely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
I disagree. A starting lineup of:
Gobert
O’Neale
Bogdanovic
Mitchell
Conley

This is more than enough scoring in this lineup

Exum
Mudiay
Ingles
Green
Davis

Like it or not, Mudiay is a nice scoring option off the bench as long as we don’t let him run the offense. Give O’Neale Mudiay’s min And this team struggles to score. This lineup allows us to maximize our talent. I think Mudiay is way underrated as long as he’s not playing pg IMO

I think one of the advantages of Jeff Green starting is that, at least comparatively (to Favors), he’s a big floor spacer. Also compared to Crowder I’d assume he’s a lot better at finishing at the rim. Out of the starting four spot, we just need someone to be a threat to hit an open three and to not **** things up. It may make him look a lot better, and if he’s doing catch and shoot only, and mostly from the corners, perhaps he hits at a reasonable clip. Also, he’s athletic enough that he may be able to attack the rim on kick outs with the new spacing. I think a guy like him could be a big beneficiary of the system.