What's new

all jeremy evans can do is dunk?

His dunks are awesome! *over beasley* heheh and he had a couple nice blocks. You can tell Love owned him in strength but dang did Evans hustle or what?

Not a bad skill to have. He's so skinny when he turns sideways he can squeeze between other players and avoid fouling them. As well as jump over most anybody...

No I still think Evans is good... there are a lot of problems with the team but Evans really isn't one of them.

He was the only player with a positive on the +/- against the T-wolves with a +10. 14 points in 17 minutes ain't bad for a 2nd round rookie. I know Jeremy from way back as I covered him in college for Scout.com's WKU site. He has a nice jumpshot but a slow windup. He never was allowed by the coaches here at WKU to shoot outside because then nobody would be inside to rebound as we didn't have any other inside players. The Houston Rocket's Courtney Lee was on the team and he was the shooter, Jeremy was the put back man and rebounder. Even after Lee left for the NBA other shooters stepped up and the coaches still woudn't let Evans shoot outside. When he did he usually hit. While outside shooting wasn't his forte here at WKU he does have a nice touch and with development could become a outstanding outside shooter later in his career. The coaches here never made any effort for Evans to be a scorer even though he scored over 25 ppg in HS. WKU was a guard offense and most times Evans wouldn't even touch the ball on offense.

The story on how WKU was able to sign him was that he had a very bad ankle sprang his senior year in HS and didn't go to very many camps because of it and the ones he went to he was hobbled and he just got overlooked by the big boys. Another school was after him, I think it was Baylor, but they didn't have room. One of the coaches was friend with a WKU assistant and called him up and WKU moved in and got him.

When Evans visted WKU he was playing pickup with the guys. The story goes that after the game Courtny Lee ran to the coaches office and told him "we've got to get this guy".

A little story. I'm disabled and use a chair to get around. When I was going to the arena to check out a pickup game a group of players were walking across the parking lot to the gym. I was getting my wheelchair out of the car, a talk skinny guy ran across the parking lot up to my car and asked me " Do you need any help sir?". I told him no I had to do it myself cause it has to fit just so getting out of the car. He flashed a big smile and said "ok, I just wanted to make sure". That was my first meeting with Jeremy Evans.

He was the only player with a positive on the +/- against the T-wolves with a +10. 14 points in 17 minutes ain't bad for a 2nd round rookie. I know Jeremy from way back as I covered him in college for Scout.com's WKU site. He has a nice jumpshot but a slow windup. He never was allowed by the coaches here at WKU to shoot outside because then nobody would be inside to rebound as we didn't have any other inside players. The Houston Rocket's Courtney Lee was on the team and he was the shooter, Jeremy was the put back man and rebounder. Even after Lee left for the NBA other shooters stepped up and the coaches still woudn't let Evans shoot outside. When he did he usually hit. While outside shooting wasn't his forte here at WKU he does have a nice touch and with development could become a outstanding outside shooter later in his career. The coaches here never made any effort for Evans to be a scorer even though he scored over 25 ppg in HS. WKU was a guard offense and most times Evans wouldn't even touch the ball on offense.

The story on how WKU was able to sign him was that he had a very bad ankle sprang his senior year in HS and didn't go to very many camps because of it and the ones he went to he was hobbled and he just got overlooked by the big boys. Another school was after him, I think it was Baylor, but they didn't have room. One of the coaches was friend with a WKU assistant and called him up and WKU moved in and got him.

When Evans visted WKU he was playing pickup with the guys. The story goes that after the game Courtny Lee ran to the coaches office and told him "we've got to get this guy".

A little story. I'm disabled and use a chair to get around. When I was going to the arena to check out a pickup game a group of players were walking across the parking lot to the gym. I was getting my wheelchair out of the car, a talk skinny guy ran across the parking lot up to my car and asked me " Do you need any help sir?". I told him no I had to do it myself cause it has to fit just so getting out of the car. He flashed a big smile and said "ok, I just wanted to make sure". That was my first meeting with Jeremy Evans.

You should post more. Welcome to the board.

On the flip side, I watched him play up close in Orem and he's just too damn skinny. He needs 20 to 30 lbs of meat on him before he's ready for any serious NBA minutes. I love the guy, but I just don't see it happening.

Evans is one of the nicest guys. He did the Jazz ball tour this past summer. He came to our town and had a mini clinic for the kids. He was very friendly and great with the kids. He even let my kid beat him in a game of lighting.

I'm too drunk to read most of what you wrote, but, I'll second Trout from your first paragraph only. I'd also like to add that the OP is not what we consider a quality poster. There's really no need to defend here.

To me he does not look like he has sufficient skills to be a real NBA contributor. He can jump and dunk and get some boards. He cannot handle the ball, cannot pass, cannot get his own shot, cannot shoot the 3-ball (well, never seen it). At his size, those are criticial deficiencies. Also, if he adds muscle mass it will affect his jumping ability, his one and only real "skill". Fun to watch but I suspect he is not long for this league or only for a few minutes per game.

It was when Favors came in that the Twolves made their first run. The guy doesn't know how to play defense. He continually let the point guard go around him and get free for an open jump shot when he showed on defense. He was showing like he's setting a pick instead of moving his feet. No, he's not ready to start; he needs to learn the game.

I tend to disagree that muscle mass will significantly affect Evans's jumping ability. It will just make him stronger. Look at Blake Griffin, for instance.

To me he does not look like he has sufficient skills to be a real NBA contributor. He can jump and dunk and get some boards. He cannot handle the ball, cannot pass, cannot get his own shot, cannot shoot the 3-ball (well, never seen it). At his size, those are criticial deficiencies. Also, if he adds muscle mass it will affect his jumping ability, his one and only real "skill". Fun to watch but I suspect he is not long for this league or only for a few minutes per game.

Well he is rocking a 23 PER, so even without ball handling skills or post moves he is a good contributor. He rebounds better than AK ever did, blocks shots, gets steals, and has a decent mid range shot. Adding muscle mass won't really hurt his rebounding, he has a 7'6" wing span! Most power forwards need to jump just to get to where he can reach on his tip toes.