What's new

Analysis of game 2

Holy ****. Just watching this and paying attention to Melo on defense, he takes every play off. Like, every play. He moves as little as possible, he switches not because it's the right play, but because it's easier than fighting through screens, he pretends to box people out so he doesn't have to go help, and is moving so slowly. Just look at the play that starts here.

He spends 12 seconds lightly shuffling across the paint, at no point actually defending. This is almost 5v4 here. When Rubio finally takes a shot, Melo is just casually watching. If that had by some chance missed, he's not boxing out either Favors or Rudy, he has no position, and he has no idea where anyone is. I hope our coaching staff keep getting players to attack this sad excuse for a 10-time All-Star.

This man is younger than Thabo! He's not old and decrepit.

Holy ****. Just watching this and paying attention to Melo on defense, he takes every play off. Like, every play. He moves as little as possible, he switches not because it's the right play, but because it's easier than fighting through screens, he pretends to box people out so he doesn't have to go help, and is moving so slowly. Just look at the play that starts here.

He spends 12 seconds lightly shuffling across the paint, at no point actually defending. This is almost 5v4 here. When Rubio finally takes a shot, Melo is just casually watching. If that had by some chance missed, he's not boxing out either Favors or Rudy, he has no position, and he has no idea where anyone is. I hope our coaching staff keep getting players to attack this sad excuse for a 10-time All-Star.

This man is younger than Thabo! He's not old.

Fixed

After watching Westbrook and George run through all of those ball screens, it becomes more obvious why they went 0-fer in the 4th. I can only imagine with the longer layoffs with time to prepare and practice that the Snyder over Donovan edge will become more pronounced. I mean Donovan isn't a schmoe, but it becomes obvious by the fact that Melo didn't come out in the 4th that he isn't really calling all of the shots there.

Obviously, the Thunder are talented enough to win the series, but it will require many "out of their minds" games from Westbrook and George, sustained, against the top defense in the league. They really haven't shown that type of consistency against the top teams.

Finally it appears that targeting Adams for fouls is pretty easy with the current Thunder strategy of having Adams try to trap the ball handler on the pick and roll. That will kill them in a seven game series.

Jingles isn't going to continue to slump at home. Excited for Saturday!

Also, Jazz have a HUGE advantage with the altitude considering how hard they make opponents work on both ends of the court.

Two games of the worst dentist appointment in the world and they’ll quit - even when they get to go back home. They’re going to have some bad 4th quarters.

Quin puts our guys through exhaustive three hour practices (shoutout to Trey Lyles) just to be ready for this moment. Run then off the court. SLC is going to be rocking for game 3.

Jazz need to continue to neutralize Adams, I think he's perhaps their most impactful player against the Jazz.

-Keep forcing Adams out onto the floor, attack him and hope you can draw fouls
-work extra hard to contain Russ because he's going to try to go extra hard after the last game
-always know where George is and nail the rotations with that in mind
-where the slack can come from to apply this extra attention on those players is from how they guard Melo off the ball. This diffusion down the pressure gradient would work in the Jazz's Favor (if they don't fall asleep) as it would put the ball in Melo's hands more often, and that's exactly what the Jazz should want. Stay at home on him, force him into off-the-dribble shooting and play the percentages.

Melo is like Boozer. Teams just attack him and score at will. I hated that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk