What's new

Ante Tomic and Croatia vs. USA B Team

Tomic's final game was today where they were eliminated by Serbia. Had a very pedestrian 6/8/1 (block) in 23 mins. Matched up against Kristic of the Thunder, an average center, Tomic just didn't have the strength to deal with him. After watching Tomic in depth, I have to say his post game is not that advanced. He has no up and under, and doesn't really utliize pump fakes that well to draw contact.

Tomic was very underwhelming these past couple games, he was inconsistent, so much that he was taken out of the game in the crucial moments in the knock out game vs. Serbia... I don't think it's worth my time to make a highlight video, it's doubtful he'll be in a jazz uniform any time soon, give him another 3-4 years to mature and than we'll re evaluate him.

Tomic was very underwhelming these past couple games, he was very inconsistent

It seems it'll be a while before Tomic can play in the NBA and contribute in a meaningful way. OK he doesn't have the size but Gasol didn't neither. However, what I think sets Gasol apart was the array of post moves that he had plus a jumper.

Tomic needs to either bulk up (to play the way that he plays now, i.e., backing down and turn around for a hook shot) or develop some new post moves (i.e., a spin move which I haven't seen from him) or a jump shot or even a consistent hook shot.

A long way to go but I actually think he's 70% there - just need to develop a few new complementary skills to take his talent to the next level.

"70% there" is D-League material.
I predict Tomic will be like 98% of Euros - have a nice career internationally, but never step foot in the NBA.

From Tomic's point of view, he is probably making more than he could make in the NBA (isn't he making about $4 million/year?), and he's closer to home than he would be here. I'm not sure he's going to want to come here even if the Jazz want him. And that's not even counting the potential buyout.

I am not sure if the Gasol comparison is trying to say that Tomic is as good as the current version of Gasol, or not even the Gasol when he was 23 years old. Remember, Gasol was a third pick overall and Tomic was a second round pick. But can he develop into a player of a similar type? I think he can but only if he comes over to the NBA and start playing against stronger competition soon. In Europe, he is not playing against stronger centers every day so it will never happen. He won't come here and overpower anyone, but he can learn how to use his length and skills like Gasol does.

All the Gasol comparisons really did was set us up for dissapointment. Like Zerol said, Gasol was immensely skilled from the start and drafted 3rd for a reason. What Gasol lacked in bulk early in his career he made up with speed and agility. Tomic is more lumbering and methodical in the post. He is taller but doesn't seem to benefit much from it. His current game is closer to how Gasol plays nowadays but without the bulk so he has mixed results. Here is Gasol at 21 or 22, you will see he is much faster than Tomic and even has a blow by on a prime KG. Having said that, Tomic would still be a big upgrade from either Koufas or Fesenko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KAj0j1AZc0