What's new

Game Thread Apr 09, 2024 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Nuggets

Added to Calendar: 04-09-24

Hendricks Kessler and Dunn are our 3 best defenders and all 3 of them have gotten doghoused this season.

Not sure how we're going to build any sort of defensive culture when playing defense clearly doesn't get rewarded.
Not to mention last year NAW was our best perimeter defender while also producing offensively but he was also benched.

Its not a great sign. Keyonte just seems done. He's probably extremely tired. Makes a lot of sense as he has played the entire season. He also lost a ton of weight this past off-season and that has probably resulted in more fatigue accumulation. You just don't see athletes drop 30 lbs in an off-season who are Keyonte's size.

Hendricks just isn't a very talented all around basketball player. He's talented in certain facets but lacks the ability to make a consistent impact at this point. He's got some of the same issues a guy like Ochai had.

Brice is just one side of the ball and he simply isn't very good at this point.

This is also a reason I want Castle. Jazz need that prospect who can have a wide impact.
I think everyone who isn’t trying out for next year has essentially checked out of playing any kind of winning basketball really. Feels like they are in summer run pickup mode. Not sure if tanking is like 82 games of this but it demonstrates why it’s tough to stomach. I don’t think it’s quite this bad but this is some rough basketball.

I think everyone who isn’t trying out for next year has essentially checked out of playing any kind of winning basketball really. Feels like they are in summer run pickup mode. Not sure if tanking is like 82 games of this but it demonstrates why it’s tough to stomach. I don’t think it’s quite this bad but this is some rough basketball.
While we should be tanking, this is the downfall of tanking, it’s human nature when the season is in it’s twilight and nothing to play for.

I wasn't going to bring this up, but since Andy Larsen already did in his triple team, our rookies are being outplayed by our scrubs.

One caveat to this and bit of context to factor in is that our rookies are barely 20 years old and are rookies.

Luka samanic is 24 and not a rookie (5th year in the NBA). I bet Hendricks, key, and Brice will be better than Luka when they are in their 5th seasons.

Juzang is 23 and not a rookie.

Yurtseven is 25. 3rd year in the league.

THT is in his 5th season in the NBA.

Bazely is in his 5th season in the NBA.

Guys like jarace walker and Anthony black are not even on the rotation of their teams. (They ARE the scrubs of their teams. Guys like McDermott, Ben shepherd, Isiah Jackson and Jalen smith are all ahead of Walker in the rotation and Cole Anthony and Caleb Houston are ahead of Black)

Rookies are kinda expected to suck.

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not to mention last year NAW was our best perimeter defender while also producing offensively but he was also benched.
NAW with 23 points, 5 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks and a team high +27 last night.

Looking at who played for the Jazz last night... only losing by 16 is somewhat impressive.

THT 32:20
Juzang 31:45
Luka 34:52
Yurt 37:16

Andy articulated what my lying eyes have been telling me. This is not the first time it appeared to me that the scrubs outplayed the rooks. It was also not a comforting feeling that when the rooks were recalled the Stars went on a big win streak.

Andy articulated what my lying eyes have been telling me. This is not the first time it appeared to me that the scrubs outplayed the rooks. It was also not a comforting feeling that when the rooks were recalled the Stars went on a big win streak.
Again, the majority of 20 year old rookies suck.

This. All of our rooks have had encouraging moments, I’m not going to panic when they aren’t consistent NBA players yet. We still have no idea what any of them are

I don't think anyone is panicking, at least that wasn't the point Andy Larsen was bringing up or that I was making. The main point is that our rookies are further away from being winning players than what you might hope for, it doesn't mean their long term potential is any less.

I don't think you really know who a player is with any confidence until their 3rd year, and I completely agree that we should be looking at their highs and not get too concerned about their lows right now. I think it's also fair to say that after almost a full season in the NBA our rookies are below scrub level as far as their impact to winning. It doesn't have to be too concerning, but it's also not a fun or super hopeful reality.

One caveat to this and bit of context to factor in is that our rookies are barely 20 years old and are rookies.

Luka samanic is 24 and not a rookie (5th year in the NBA). I bet Hendricks, key, and Brice will be better than Luka when they are in their 5th seasons.

Juzang is 23 and not a rookie.

Yurtseven is 25. 3rd year in the league.

THT is in his 5th season in the NBA.

Bazely is in his 5th season in the NBA.

Guys like jarace walker and Anthony black are not even on the rotation of their teams. (They ARE the scrubs of their teams. Guys like McDermott, Ben shepherd, Isiah Jackson and Jalen smith are all ahead of Walker in the rotation and Cole Anthony and Caleb Houston are ahead of Black)

Rookies are kinda expected to suck.

If you look at the amount of 21 year old or younger rookies who have even a relatively high usage and positive +/- over a season, the list is very small. This year, it's basically Podz.

That said there are degrees to this.

Last season we were all hot to trot over Ochai and that did not turn out. The difference is that Ochai had basically had four years of college experience compared to one with our three rooks. So he was more ready made.

Brice and Taylor were both injured and missed training camp, and both have shown some good signs. Let's see how prepared they are coming into year two. I think they'll both look better. Key seems to have hit a wall. His shot is way off and confidence is down. He looks tired.

I think this is the inevitable result when everyone knows winning is not a priority. Its also what some people call "losing culture". You can only lose that much before becoming disinterested in winning. I mean how many game day mornings you wake up feeling like "this game we are gonna win" only to be let down, before you start waking up feeling like "IDGAF".

Not sure any rookies should be subjected to too much of it, but especially those types of rookies that are not blessed with the best attributes and who need the right pieces to fall into place to become good NBA players.

82 games of tanking is a much easier pill to swallow than half and half. Half and half is bound to piss fans/players off. Quitting half way through is just a different feeling than starting from the bottom. You also don’t have that expectation of a high draft pick.