Added to Calendar: 04-25-22

Game Threads

Utah Jazz Game Day

American Airlines Center, 2500 Victory Ave, Dallas, TX 75219
Apr 25, 2022 7:30PM MT

Last edited by a moderator:
I see it playing out like this,
We ride our emotional high, our shots fall, we rain down 3s

Mavs are shook, broken and play angry causing too many turnovers and bricks.

We win
Yeah I feel like we have the psychological upper hand now. We were on our heels getting embarrassed by a decimated Mavs team and then the decision was made to release “the Don” in game 4 - thank you, thank you, thank you! And in all fairness, Doncic played amazingly well for a first game back, or any game for that matter, but it did have the impact of changing the dynamic - slowing their roll, standing around at times and they started clanking those open threes. Still it took everything we had to get over the hump. Nice to wipe that **** eatin grin off of Cuban and Doncic’ faces!

Now we go back to Dallas where the shoe is on the other foot and they are in the hot seat (particularly Kidd and Doncic) for not keeping their foot on our throat and ripping out our heart when they had the chance! And how’s that for a random assortment of metaphors?

Last edited:
I see it playing out like this,
We ride our emotional high, our shots fall, we rain down 3s

Mavs are shook, broken and play angry causing too many turnovers and bricks.

We win
We need to win this in 6. Against the NBA's next darling Luka in a Game 7 situation on the road in Dallas? I don't like the Jazz chances.

Other thing - the Jazz had a chance to win this in 4 and 5, and take advantage of Phoenix missing Booker. If the Jazz/Mavs series goes 7, Booker will have had 2 full weeks to rest his hamstring, and his original timeline was 2-3 weeks from the injury. It is VERY important that Utah tries to finish this series as quick as possible to try to start the 2nd round series against Phoenix without Booker.

Yeah I feel like we have the psychological upper hand now. We were on our heels getting embarrassed by a decimated Mavs team and then the decision was made to release “the Don” in game 4 - thank you, thank you, thank you! And in all fairness, Doncic played amazingly well for a first game back, or any game for that matter, but it did have the impact of changing the dynamic - slowing their roll, standing around at times and they started clanking those open threes. Still it took everything we had to get over the hump. Nice to wipe that **** eatin grin off of Cuban and Doncic’ faces!

Now we go back to Dallas where the shoe is on the other foot and they are in the hot seat (particularly Kidd and Doncic) for not keeping their foot on our throat and ripping out our heart when they had the chance!
Our Game 4 win was especially nice after hearing Steven A. Smith’s rant against the Jazz.

I hope we can defeat them in such an embarrassing manner that some beef between Kidd and Cuban happens that results in Cuban having to coach the team for the rest of the series.

We need to win this in 6. Against the NBA's next darling Luka in a Game 7 situation on the road in Dallas? I don't like the Jazz chances.

Other thing - the Jazz had a chance to win this in 4 and 5, and take advantage of Phoenix missing Booker. If the Jazz/Mavs series goes 7, Booker will have had 2 full weeks to rest his hamstring, and his original timeline was 2-3 weeks from the injury. It is VERY important that Utah tries to finish this series as quick as possible to try to start the 2nd round series against Phoenix without Booker.
I agree, but we win in Dallas and finish it at home in Utah and we good. In an ideal favorable outcome

I really think the Mavs are better without Luka having a stranglehold on the ball the whole game and putting so much pressure on guys standing around and not in rhythm to hit shots the second they are suddenly expected to shoot the ball.

I think there is a chance this is the corner the Jazz needed to turn all year, and what timing that would be. But they’ve got to win this one to keep the momentum going and get home for a chance to eliminate.

Quin’s gotta coach with more courage than he’s had all year, at least/especially when it matters most. It might all hinge on his overall ability.

I am choosing to ride this high, in part because these might be our best chances to even pretend there’s a chance at the mountaintop for several years.

I really think the Mavs are better without Luka having a stranglehold on the ball the whole game and putting so much pressure on guys standing around and not in rhythm to hit shots the second they are suddenly expected to shoot the ball.

I think there is a chance this is the corner the Jazz needed to turn all year, and what timing that would be. But they’ve got to win this one to keep the momentum going and get home for a chance to eliminate.

Quin’s gotta coach with more courage than he’s had all year, at least/especially when it matters most. It might all hinge on his overall ability.

I am choosing to ride this high, in part because these might be our best chances to even pretend there’s a chance at the mountaintop for several years.
Luka squashes Brunson's and Dimwittie's mojo

Luka squashes Brunson's and Dimwittie's mojo
It’s examples like this (and Harden, and even Lebron, even when they’re distributing well) that makes me ALWAYS side-eye heliocentric offenses/hero ball. It feels like most of the time the end result is lack of confidence, rhythm, cohesiveness, and fun from their teammates that actually makes them worse off.

I get that in the playoffs, that type of play can separate good from great, but it should be more of an emergency strategy than an every-minute-star-x-is-in-the game strategy. This is low-key one of the things that separates Curry from all the rest since he plays a lot off ball AND can dish (I think he might be the second-deadliest offensive player of the modern era behind MJ, but that’s another conversation).

Mavs play slower with Luka, so our perimeter defenders don't have to rotate as fast.

Luka was fantastic, and we were still better off with him taking control and doing his thing. We were better when Kawhi was healthy last year too even thought he was great.

I'm going to keep saying so I can hopefully manifest it to be true. This is a Paschall series. We're not getting our usual offense. Very few lobs to Rudy, 3's off the dribble, or catch and shoot 3's off of drives. It's all tough buckets inside the paint....usually with a defender in front of the basket. One of the reasons I was skeptical about Paschall's fit was that his game was so antithetical to the way we play, but his bucket getting ability is just what we need.

He's also a good matchup (considering our options) against Brunson and Doncic.

I'm going to keep saying so I can hopefully manifest it to be true. This is a Paschall series. We're not getting our usual offense. Very few lobs to Rudy, 3's off the dribble, or catch and shoot 3's off of drives. It's all tough buckets inside the paint....usually with a defender in front of the basket. One of the reasons I was skeptical about Paschall's fit was that his game was so antithetical to the way we play, but his bucket getting ability is just what we need.

He's also a good matchup (considering our options) against Brunson and Doncic.
Royce should've been sitting more in the regular season whether because he's dealing with nagging injuries, dogging it, or some combination of the two such that he would be better positioned to carry out his role NOW.

Benching him now probably doesn't give us the utility later, but at this point, if he isn't carrying out his role, most of his minutes need to go to House and Paschall for purely immediate utility. Start him and give him the role to lose, but if he keeps floundering, pull him from the starting lineup, and maybe even give all of his minutes to Paschall and House depending on how that plays out.

Everyone knows this could be the last dance, let's have some expediency and seriousness in the face of that.