What's new

Ask me some Jazz questions

It’s his manna from heaven approach. If people recall, when he actually left the Celtics, the perceptions was that opportunity was squandered with all the picks they had. That they ended up turning it around and making the finals after he left smoothed over that perception. I don’t know what my feelings on Ainge are but I’m a little nervous about the “something’s gonna shake loose” belief. Sometimes it shakes loose and Billy King gifts you Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatem. Sometimes it shakes loose and you get John Collins and THT.

My fear is actually most about an outside hire at the tail-end of their career. I’m afraid it will be like this scene from The Big Lebowski, where DA is Walter and The Dude is Jazz fans in a predicament but just wanting the best. As Walter talks a big talk, consistently assuaging The Dude, when it all comes crumbling down, Walter, with no real skin in the game, easily moves on and implies to The Dude that the mess he left is no biggie.

Warning: language.

View: https://youtu.be/yDVrrZkUFeE?si=Jjp_Tfj1wH-Z8pg8

Yeah how many different sporting teams can you think of that have spent 5, 10, 15 years in obscurity to the point where they no longer know how to win. Winning habits don't just happen.

Thats an interesting departure, under DL the feeling as a fan was the FO was driving the culture in a similar way to the Spurs. Leaving a vacuum and hoping for an organic culture strikes me as an organisational risk. In my professional life maintaining and developing culture has been the key driver of performance.

My concern is once this is lost it can be hard to find.
Whatever DL might’ve said with damn mouth, his Cultural Era ended with him and Quin flinging poo at one another.