What's new

Ben Simmons

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
Damn, what a talent. Too bad my son and his friends hate him for totally ignoring them last year during summer league at the Huntsman Center. I guess arrogance sometimes translates to greatness though.

"Simmons became the first player since Oscar Robertson to produce at least 10 points, 10 rebounds and five assists in each of his first three career games"

"Listed by Bovada on Oct. 10 at 80/1 to win MVP, Simmons is now at 33/1, tied with DeMarcus Cousins and ahead of Marc Gasol, Blake Griffin and Damian Lillard."

https://sports.yahoo.com/opening-week-impacts-mvp-odds-192534733.html

Last edited:
He's incredible. I've been a big fan of his game since he was in high school. The LeBron/Magic comparisons are legit.

It's hilarious that anyone ever thought Ingram was a better prospect.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

I think he'll be the rookie of the year. The Sixers will make the playoffs if they ever play some defence.

I think he'll be the rookie of the year. The Sixers will make the playoffs if they ever play some defence.

They play good defense. When Embiid is on the court. Honestly, Udoh may have been perfect for them. Could back up Joel or start for him when he sits.

They play good defense. When Embiid is on the court. Honestly, Udoh may have been perfect for them. Could back up Joel or start for him when he sits.

I watched their first couple of games I thought their D was crap. Plus, something you expect with a team loaded with young players - turnovers.

I watched their first couple of games I thought their D was crap. Plus, something you expect with a team loaded with young players - turnovers.

Their defense last year was staggeringly different with Embiid on and off the court. I suspect it will be pretty much the same this season, though it could change some given Simmons' presence. That's not to say Simmons will be a bad defender so much as it is to say he's a rookie and needs to acclimate and such.

i think its a great story with Brett Brown coaching him, Brown is very, very well known and respected in Australia. It would have been great to see Jonah Bolden make their roster too. In the glory days of the NBL Brett Brown coached the North Melbourne Giants, their big rivals were the Melbourne Tigers (now United) and the South East Melbourne Magic. Ben's father Dave played with the Tigers and Jonah's father Bruce with the Magic. Its really a nice story of basketball coming full circle.

But guys!!! LSU didn't make the tournament with Simmons there!
You are right. That is pretty wierd since making the tournament is kind of easy and a future nba superstar would probably usually get into the tournament. (I wonder how many nba all stars that played college ball didn't get into the tournament)
There are always exception with everything though.

You are right. That is pretty wierd since making the tournament is kind of easy and a future nba superstar would probably usually get into the tournament. (I wonder how many nba all stars that played college ball didn't get into the tournament)
There are always exception with everything though.

He had an awful, awful, awful coach, and he coasted.

His talent was still very obvious.

Well ya, iirc he was a pretty high lottery pick. Of course he was talented. Just out of the ordinary for a player with his talent to miss the tourney is all. At least in my opinion. I could be wrong though, maybe its more common than i think, I dont follow college ball all that closely.

Not surprised he coasted. He probably knew that team didn't have a chance and that his eye was on becoming the greatest in the NBA.

But I was seriously surprised when my son told me just how badly he ignored him and his friends(14-year-olds) before and after the summer league game in SLC while guys like Jaylen Brown, etc. came over and talked with them, signed their phones, etc. before AND after the game. Simmons was right there the whole time and wanted nothing to do with it.

But just the way he carries himself on the court reminds me of MJ massively. His confidence is like, "these dudes don't have a chance of stopping me". He has an economy of motion like MJ, too, he waits for the moment and strikes.

Impressive stat line last night:

8-11 FG
5-6 FT
12 REB(2 OREB)
10 AST
1 STL

in 33 min.

Well ya, iirc he was a pretty high lottery pick. Of course he was talented. Just out of the ordinary for a player with his talent to miss the tourney is all. At least in my opinion. I could be wrong though, maybe its more common than i think, I dont follow college ball all that closely.

I don't think Lillard ever made the tournament. It's not common, but it happens.

I don't think Lillard ever made the tournament. It's not common, but it happens.

He played at Weber St. though. Huge difference between a tiny school making it (you have to win your conference tourney--only way) or LSU.

Ya like I said, there are exceptions for sure.

Who was Aussie poster here who warned us about Exum being way inferior to Ben Simmons? He wrote before draft something like that - Exum is not even close to real super talent coming out of Australia - Ben Simmons 4 years ago.