What's new

BLOCKBUSTER TRADE IDEA

Jeffrey32

Suns need want a true stretch 4 and the likelihood of re-signing Dragic or truly moving from 8th seed to contender will be hard to do with all the money invested in their current undersized triad backcourt.

Pelicans need to seriously build depth, reduce salary and build around Anthony Davis. They are the 3rd highest payroll in the league.

I would prefer to keep Burke, who is excelling as a back-up and could be re-signed for a back-up price. I also think Kanter is finally getting it or getting close, but dollars and cents might keep him from re-signing.

https://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mkmy759

Therefore:

Suns get Ryan Anderson -- one of the top stretch 4s in the league and perfect for their offense; Since Suns like stockpiling picks, they get two of Utah's future 2nd rounders.

Pelicans get Dragic, Kanter, and Burke. Dragic is at least equal to Holiday, if not better. Kanter could back-up both Davis and Asik or have quite a future starting next to Davis. I think he fits better into NO offense than Anderson. Burke is a back-up upgrade over Jimmer and an insurance policy if Dragic leaves in free agency. Only negatives for NO is Kanter is RFA and Dragic could be UFA so they could lose or have to overpay both.

Utah gets Jrue Holiday and Miles Plumlee. Holiday is a starting, all-star caliber PG on a reasonable contract with years remaining. He instantly upgrades Utah's starting 5. Utah also gets Miles Plumlee who becomes the back-up big man for Gobert and Favors. He wants to leave the Suns and they are looking for a first-rounder, but maybe 2-2nds or the Warriors pick which will be #29 or #30 will do it.

Good deal?

Trey sure is excelling as a back-up. 38/34 on 15.3 FGA is pretty much what you would expect from a PG in todays NBA.

About the trade:

Doesn't look to shabby for all three parties. Really intriguing tbh.

Anderson is what the Suns are looking for. Is he enough for them to part ways w/ Dragic? And I don't think they are really after more draft picks.

The Pelicans give up their starting PG and a good PF for a starting PG, a PG of the bench(which they need) and a young big who can play PF and C. Looks good to me but financially this might be a disaster at least for next year. Gotta pay Enes, Dragic and Asik...that's a lot of cash and you can't really afford to lose one of them either.

And we get a back-up Center which makes Derrick a full time PF again and a startin PG.

Doesn't look bad at all.

Well thought out - unlike many trade proposals we read on here. As Jeffrey said, there is a lot of risk for New Orleans with Dragic being an UFA and Kanter a RFA. That would be the reason this trade wouldnot get done even if all 3 parties liked the players involved.

Thought process is okay, but I'm not a huge fan of getting Holliday if the Suns are moving Dragic. I'd rather they move to get him for the rest of this season and have Quin, Hayward, Favors and Gobert try to convince him to stay. Not sure I'd give up too many assets to rent him for half a season, but I wouldn't be gun shy about starting the conversation. I love Exum and have a lot of faith in his potential, but just imagine this team with Gobert and Dragic in the starting lineup.

The Suns get raked over the coals in this and they'd know it demanding our GS pick and probably a Pels future protected 1st as well.

You and I have different definitions of "excelling".

I'd pass. I like Jrue, but I'd rather aim for different kind of help. We just drafted Exum.