What's new

Bryce Cotton Getting 2nd 10-Day Contract

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
According to twitter.

Suck this D homeytennis.

We aren't signing GRIII for sure now. We have Cotton on contract and Bennimon.

According to twitter.

Suck this D homeytennis.

We aren't signing GRIII for sure now. We have Cotton on contract and Bennimon.

I'm assuming that means that Cooley gets a plane ride to Boise. That puts the Jazz over the limit.

You're only allowed to have x2 10 day contracts am I right? What do we do with Cotton after these next 10 days is up?

With Benihana signed to a 10-day AND Cotton being extended, I guess this means Pleiss won't be coming over this season. Too bad. I was hoping he could be signed for a month to see what he looks like as a backup big.

You're only allowed to have x2 10 day contracts am I right? What do we do with Cotton after these next 10 days is up?

Guess it depends on how the Jazz feel about him. They can sign him for the rest of the season or play musical chairs and bring someone else in on a 10-day. Kind of surprised they didn't bring Johnson back. I thought they liked him.

DL has to be one of the most active GM's in the league. I love his policy of continuously searching for talent, you may never know if one of these players may pan out. Plus, it brings more competitiveness during practice and keeps the 'non-core' players on their toes.

DL has to be one of the most active GM's in the league. I love his policy of continuously searching for talent, you may never know if one of these players may pan out. Plus, it brings more competitiveness during practice and keeps the 'non-core' players on their toes.

Exactly. We could have stuck with Tour'e and Felix as the 14th and 15th guys. Instead, he finds a couple of real contributors in Ingles and Millsap. And now is using the roster space created by the Kanter/Novak trade to continue to audition players. Also credit Greg Miller. He's the one spending the extra money. By the time the season ends, all these 10-days could add up to over $300K. Greg could have easily said after the trade deadline, "just keep the roster at 13 for the rest of the season."

Guess it depends on how the Jazz feel about him. They can sign him for the rest of the season or play musical chairs and bring someone else in on a 10-day. Kind of surprised they didn't bring Johnson back. I thought they liked him.

Who's Johnson?

Exactly. We could have stuck with Tour'e and Felix as the 14th and 15th guys. Instead, he finds a couple of real contributors in Ingles and Millsap. And now is using the roster space created by the Kanter/Novak trade to continue to audition players. Also credit Greg Miller. He's the one spending the extra money. By the time the season ends, all these 10-days could add up to over $300K. Greg could have easily said after the trade deadline, "just keep the roster at 13 for the rest of the season."

Cutting Toure and Felix saved us a ton of money since they would have become guaranteed contracts if they weren't cut. Every GM would have done that.

Cutting Toure and Felix saved us a ton of money since they would have become guaranteed contracts if they weren't cut. Every GM would have done that.

You are partially right about Toure. His contract was not fully guaranteed. But $250K of it was. So the Jazz ate that amount. However, a rookie minimum salary is slightly above $500K, so if the Jazz had to sign a player to take his spot, then they could saved about $250K (Toure would have been paid $1M for the season). But the point still remains they could have just left that roster spot open. They're only required to have 13 players, not 15.

As for Felix:
"Felix’s contract is guaranteed for this season, and so the Jazz will be paying the entirety of Felix’s $816,482 contract this season. That amount will remain on the Jazz’s cap for this season."
So assuming it was Ingles or any of the swinging-door players the Jazz have had in: from Hamilton to Williams to Christopher, etc. it's costing them the NBA minimum for all those games. And that's above what they would have incurred by just having Felix on the roster for the remainder of the season.