What's new

Buying into the second round?

Jose Mayonnaise

It's been floated that the Jazz may buy into the second round. Who would you like to see them target?

For me it's Vince Williams Jr. of VCU.

View: https://youtu.be/ftbmMlT2N6w?t=30

Not sure we can get high enough but I love David Roddy… I think we buy into the end of the second round… giving a roster spot to a second round guy actually saves 1M in salary plus tax… so they may not even like the guy they pick but it saves like 3M or helps us narrowly miss the tax.

I think Dalen Terry from Ariz. will be good. He might go 1st round, or he might go back to school.
The Italian prospect Procida looks good as an athletic 3D wing.
Alondes Williams from Wake Forrest should make the league and be decent.
Jalen Williams from Santa Clara appears to be a bit below the radar at the moment.
Jean Montero should be a rotation player.

I think we are kidding ourselves that buying a second round pick is going to somehow improve our team. Last second round pick we hit on was Millsap 16 years ago.

I think we are kidding ourselves that buying a second round pick is going to somehow improve our team. Last second round pick we hit on was Millsap 16 years ago.
What are you talking about? A couple years ago we were one of the best defensive teams in the league and our best perimeter defender was drafted at the end of the second round.

For me:

Alondes Williams
Hyunjung Lee
Dereon Seabron
David Roddy
Leonard Miller
Jabari Walker
Gabriele Procida
Josh Minott
Kenny Lofton Jr
Iverson Molinar
Dalen Terry
Terquavion Smith
Jaylin Williams (Arkansas Center)
Jaylen Williams

What are you talking about? A couple years ago we were one of the best defensive teams in the league and our best perimeter defender was drafted at the end of the second round.
Who is the individual you are talking about? If I'm being ignorant or forgetful, happy to be challenged, but I don't know who this individual is. Royce?

Your definition of “hit” for a 2nd rounder is a mile beyond reasonable if a multi-time all-star and easily one of the greatest draft selections in Jazz history is your criteria.

A pick like Neto or Evans is a fine find in the 2nd. That being said: Don’t ask me why Lindsey worked so hard to amass so many 2nd rounders only to sell a chunk of them off or absolutely suck at drafting with any of them.

I believe I’m on the record advocating for Shake Milton in 2018 (they sold the pick to the team that eliminated them from the playoffs) and Van Vleet in 2016 (when the Jazz had like three 2nd rounders and whiffed on all of them). For whatever that is worth.

Where in the second round? Late second rounders have just as much chance of hitting as the UDFAs. Early to mid second rounders are complete different stories but teams won't be giving those away easily like what DL did the last two years.

I'm not against getting second rounders as getting any contribution from one is helpful, I just don't think grabbing one is going to do much for this team right now. Would also state that the gap between being a second rounder and UDFA isn't much, all in the eye of the beholder.

We either need win-now players or you flush it with some lottery draft talent and try this again in 3-4 years.

Where in the second round? Late second rounders have just as much chance of hitting as the UDFAs. Early to mid second rounders are complete different stories but teams won't be giving those away easily like what DL did the last two years.
Yeah but when you’re talking UDFA’s you’re back to competing with other teams for players. Having a 2nd - even the 60th pick - bypasses that complication altogether.

Odds are that the next Bane or Booker or Paul George or Chris Paul or Giannis will be available and we will opt for the next Azibuke, D'uhron, Hayward, Trey Lyles, or Trey Frigging Burke.

But, yeah, perhaps we can buy in to the party this year time so we spend an asset to get our guy.

Odds are that the next Bane or Booker or Paul George or Chris Paul or Giannis will be available and we will opt for the next Azibuke, D'uhron, Hayward, Trey Lyles, or Trey Frigging Burke.

But, yeah, perhaps we can buy in to the party this year time so we spend an asset to get our guy.

To be fair, Hayward has had a pretty decent career and doesn’t belong in the same sentence as those other dudes. Our folly was simply not trading him for any real assets.

I wish the Jazz could buy their way into the second round, unfortunately the playoffs just don't work like that.
They work exactly that way. The league makes sure the teams that make more money get into the 2nd round. Heck they changed their entire officiating strategy this year to make it easier to do just that.