What's new

Could the Jazz buy out Okur's contract?

NotDeadYet

It could save some long-term $$$, so I see it as a possibility. Not that I'm totally in Favor(s) of dropping Okur now unless we have someone in mind (like Azubuike), but Favors looks to me like he can play both C and PF, and is much more of a FORCE in the paint. As Favors ascends, I see Okur, Elson, and Fesenko as disappearing from the regular rotation and being relegated to spot duty only...
Azubuike would be my replacement for Raja Bell, would could also get bought out next year. I doubt we'd buy out Raja this year, but ya never know...

It would only save the Jazz a little bit of money because I don't think Memo is dying to get out of Utah. The cap hit would still be the same. Highly unlikely imo.

Jazz would be better off trading his expiring deal next year and getting something back rather than buying him out. IF there is a next year.

Ya, buyout still counts against the cap. With Memo being worth virtually nothing in free agency, there's no way he'd negotiate a buyout for less than his salary. He's far more valuable as an expiring contract next season, especially if he gets healthy and shows he can play a little bit.

Ya, buyout still counts against the cap. With Memo being worth virtually nothing in free agency, there's no way he'd negotiate a buyout for less than his salary. He's far more valuable as an expiring contract next season, especially if he gets healthy and shows he can play a little bit.

The problem is if he gets healthy and plays decently would we really want to trade him. Granted with Jefferson and Favors reduces our need for Okur. But dont expect Fes back and Tomic i think still has a large buyout. So we shall see.

Right now Okur is more valuable to the Jazz being injured that getting rid of his contract. As long as he continues not playing, then the Jazz won't have to pay most of his contract. He could be a deadline trade next year with his expiring contract.

The only way the buyout helps is it frees up a roster spot and likely saves the Jazz some real-world dollars - but his contract will still count against the cap. If (and it's a big "IF") he is healthy for the next NBA season (whenever that may be), with Big Al, Sap, and Favors - Okur's far too expensive to have as your 4th big, even though his game would be the perfect complement to the rest of our bigs.

Despite his injuries, the front office loves Memo and Memo loves Utah. With not much market value until he can prove himself againon the court, he's probably in Utah next season.

Jazz would be better off trading his expiring deal next year and getting something back rather than buying him out. IF there is a next year.

This. If he is healthy enough, we can use the loophole and have the team that traded for Okur buying him out so he can be back after 30 days. His shooting is dearly missed this season.

The problem is if he gets healthy and plays decently would we really want to trade him. Granted with Jefferson and Favors reduces our need for Okur. But dont expect Fes back and Tomic i think still has a large buyout. So we shall see.

This. If he is healthy enough, we can use the loophole and have the team that traded for Okur buying him out so he can be back after 30 days. His shooting is dearly missed this season.

iawbotp

To the first point, that is a big "if". Plenty of players have been felled by achilles heel injuries. Felton Spencer comes to mind. From wiki:

In Utah, Spencer became the successor to Mark Eaton, and he provided the Jazz with solid scoring, rebounding and defense at the pivot position. In 1993-94, as a complement to John Stockton and Karl Malone, he averaged 8.6 points and 8.3 rebounds while shooting 50.5% from the floor. Spencer and the Jazz were on their way to greatness in 1994-95, but 34 games into the season he ruptured his left Achilles tendon and was lost for the year. Utah went on to win 60 regular-season games but failed to reach the NBA Finals by losing in the first round. He missed the first 11 games of the 1995-96 season while recovering from his Achilles injury, but went on to play in the remaining 71, starting 70 and averaging 5.6 points and 4.3 rebounds in 17.8 minutes per game

To the second point, we really do miss his shooting. I think with AJ even more than Boozer his ability to draw opposing big men away from the basket would have helped us tremendously this year.

I for one would like to see him come back and play decently for the rest of his contract. If not, I certainly hope we get something out of it instead of just letting him walk.

I for one would like to see him come back and play decently for the rest of his contract. If not, I certainly hope we get something out of it instead of just letting him walk.

I think we will re-sign him since all he has been saying is he likes Utah and wants to retire here...

Joking aside, him being back next season, whether it's a trade-buyout-and-back-after-30-days deal or just playing out his contract, gotta push the FO to seriously look at trading Millsap to improve our wings and outside shooting. A 3-man rotation of Favors/Jefferson/Okur seems to be great with a variety of ways to score and both Favors and Jefferson have the ability to protect the rim.

I think we will re-sign him since all he has been saying is he likes Utah and wants to retire here...

Joking aside, him being back next season, whether it's a trade-buyout-and-back-after-30-days deal or just playing out his contract, gotta push the FO to seriously look at trading Millsap to improve our wings and outside shooting. A 3-man rotation of Favors/Jefferson/Okur seems to be great with a variety of ways to score and both Favors and Jefferson have the ability to protect the rim.

I would like to see that rotation too.