What's new

Crowder's gotta go...

JohnnyClutch

.. at least down one level in the depth chart.

Maybe if he were a lock-down defender we could absorb his ABYSMAL shooting percentage (.318 from 3 -- recently sub .3), but he's not. He doesn't suck at D, but he's not all world by any stretch. Every time he (doesn't) line up to shoot a 3 I cringe. I'd love to trade him, but doubtful he has much value.

Sefolosha is a better defender, and a more consistent shooter. Jae's been given a good, patient run to start the season. We've gotten what he can give.

I'm not laying our trouble exclusively at Jae's feet. There are a bunch of factors, but that's an easy one to at least improve things.

Can you believe that we could have Bjelica who is shooting 46% from the 3 and averaging 11 ppg on this team right now for cheap instead of Niang?! Dennis Lindsey chose to try to develop Niang and Keep Thabo/Udoh over signign Bjelica. It's absurd.

I actually think the opposite is true. He needs to start... he’s a much better shooter as a starter over his career. You don’t want him gunning down every shot off the bench you want him in a role playing off your best players imo.

Can you believe that we could have Bjelica who is shooting 46% from the 3 and averaging 11 ppg on this team right now for cheap instead of Niang?! Dennis Lindsey chose to try to develop Niang and Keep Thabo/Udoh over signign Bjelica. It's absurd.
DL straight up didn't try this past summer. What's the risk of signing Bjelica at 6mil a year? Or Brook Lopez at 3mil a year? Or Stauskas at 1.6mil a year? It was clear that we need shooters that could space the floor. And DL has done nothing outside of hoping Exum and Favors could all of sudden delvelop into 3pt shooters.

I can't emphasize this enough, thanks to the genius of Dennis Lindsey, Crowder right now is single-handedly trying to bring us the bench productions of Hood, Iso Joe and Jerebko. So of course he is going to look bad and fail. There are currently only 9 players on this roster that Quin could trust to play for more than 10min in a NBA game. This is simply not enough to compete for the playoffs.

Last edited:
I mean, he gets paid 7 million a year. I would say he's either fairly paid or slightly underpaid.

I wouldn't be opposed to putting him in a trade package, but I'm not actively trying to send him out. I think he is an important emotional tone setter on the court.

I can't emphasize this enough, thanks to the genius of Dennis Lindsey, Crowder right now is single-handedly trying to bring us the bench productions of Hood, Iso Joe and Jerebko. So of course he is going to look bad and fail. There are currently only 9 players on this roster that Quin could trust to play for more than 10min of NBA games. This is simply not enough to compete for the playoffs.
I mean, Jae is just 1.5 years removed from being one of the best role players in the NBA.

I really thought last year was a fluke and he would return to Boston Jae, and we see that sometimes, but it comes and goes.

When your team sucks you don't try as hard. When the team is good and the blood is pumping and you're psyched, you play harder. That's just a fact for most players. We're seeing this with Jae.

.. at least down one level in the depth chart.

Maybe if he were a lock-down defender we could absorb his ABYSMAL shooting percentage (.318 from 3 -- recently sub .3), but he's not. He doesn't suck at D, but he's not all world by any stretch. Every time he (doesn't) line up to shoot a 3 I cringe. I'd love to trade him, but doubtful he has much value.

Sefolosha is a better defender, and a more consistent shooter. Jae's been given a good, patient run to start the season. We've gotten what he can give.

I'm not laying our trouble exclusively at Jae's feet. There are a bunch of factors, but that's an easy one to at least improve things.
Jae's definitely a better shooter than Thabo.

Jae is shooting better on wide open attempts with more attempts.

The difference is Jae is willing to take a higher percentage of his 3pt attempts as lightly contested 3's.

I mean, Jae is just 1.5 years removed from being one of the best role players in the NBA.

I really thought last year was a fluke and he would return to Boston Jae, and we see that sometimes, but it comes and goes.
Even if he returns to Boston Jae, we can't expect him to lead the entire second unit all by himself. Who else on this second squad not named Korver will see any steady minutes have they played for any other NBA team?

Crowder's FG% and 3PT% numbers are slightly lower than his career numbers. We're talking around 2% for each stat. His other numbers are improved due to 4+ higher minutes this season VS career minutes.

He's had some awful shooting games but (with the exception of our centers who score inside) who else on this team hasn't?

Even if he returns to Boston Jae, we can't expect him to lead the entire second unit all by himself. Who else on this second squad not named Korver will see any steady minutes have they played for any other NBA team?
He's not leading the offense by himself, or even trying to. He takes the shots he gets. The problem with the 2nd unit is more of a on-ball creation one.

And I think Royce would see steady minutes on most teams.

Reactions: SCS
And it's not like the Jazz do 5 man platoons. It really shouldn't be framed as a bench issue. It's just the overall issue of not having the firepower to put together lineups. We all knew that would be the case coming into the season, but we just thought we would have an elite defense like last year and that hasnt happened yet.

You aren't replacing Jae, you're replacing any number of the 3 starters not named Mitchell or Gobert.

I don't mind Jae taking catch and shoot 3's but I cringe when he takes a 3 off the dribble.

When Rubio and Crowder play well, the Jazz are a completely different team. When these two don't play well, and that mostly comes down to shooting, the Jazz's offense implodes. Teams guard Donovan. They guard Ingles. They guard Gobert. Then they leave everyone else. It's up to Rubio and Crowder to make teams pay.

Jae Crowder as a starter over his career - 237 games:

Fg% - 44.1%
3P% - 34.9%
TS% - 56.9%

Jae as a bench player over his career - 254 games:

FG% - 40.7%
3P% - 32.5%
TS% - 52.2%

Moving him to the starting unit solves two problems imo... gets us good Jae more often and helps with spacing. Just effing do it already.

Jae has seemed low energy last two games, but it is the exception... he generally plays with good energy... wonder if the emotions of the holidays and his mom are getting him... maybe just tired. It's clear the team loves and appreciates his attitude and leadership.