What's new

Dante Exum analysis of a highlight real by a Laker fan.

The Blue Elephant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXgZdIOv5OI
"
I felt like this game (which was two months ago) really showed off the real potential of Dante Exum. On the first highlight clip, we see Dante Exum move properly away from the ball, set his feet and hit down a three. Coming out of the draft, a lot of people questioned his shot. His shot isn’t great, but it’s not terrible either, especially when his feet are set. Exum is shooting 34.67% from set up three pointers this season. This percentage is comparable to Kyle Lowry’s percentage (NBA Savant). Exum obviously isn’t shooting at the frequency nor with the difficulty of Lowry; however, it’s still impressive that such a raw rookie could shoot at a solid percentage.
The highlight clip doesn’t end there. Exum gets back on defense, gets into a low stance, and uses his length to block IT. I really like how low he gets on his stance against a much shorter player. That stance takes energy and commitment. Exum shows good instincts blocking a jump shot, albeit on a much shorter player. He gets the ball as he leaks out and makes the right pass, something he tends to do often.
The next two clips aren’t very important, but the next clip again shows Exum in the right spot. Most people criticized his inability to move off ball. Throughout his stint with the Jazz, he’s shown the ability to play off the ball. If Exum bulks up, he could possibly become a ball dominant 2 guard in the future. Exum is very skinny right now, but by all accounts, Exum is a competitor. He will be willing to bulk up, and he probably will do so in the off season.
The next highlight doesn’t matter, but after that there is a pick and roll with Rudy Gobert. So many young players try doing too much when they play the game. What I really like Exum is how he seems to make sound plays. Instead of forcing the ball into Gobert or forcing it in himself, he makes the right pass to his Ingles. This starts a nice chain of ball movement for the Jazz, leading to an open shot.
The next play shows the speed of Exum in the half court. His handle isn’t tight enough yet, but it isn’t awful. His speed and acceleration are impressive. Exum’s speed has been praised since he bursted on the scene. He does a nice job speeding up to an appropriate pace in the half court. Fast enough to blow by the defender, but not too fast to lose control.
After the free throw and the Ingles pass to Gobert, we see a highlight of Exum again being in the right place. That being said, a boy who’s never played basketball could easily be in the right place during that play. What’s nice about that clip is the confidence he has in his shot. Confidence is one of the most important traits for shooters. It’s why younger shooters struggle sometimes; they just are a bit too scared. Exum doesn’t hesitate, he gets into his form quickly, and fires the three.
The next play is good off ball defense by Dante Exum. He uses his length to stop the bounce pass, even with his back to to the ball. That’s an incredibly difficult play to make. Exum also stays low and again shows his commitment to defense. Half of the battle on defense is staying committed. Exum has a good stance, has the length, the foot speed, and the commitment on the less glamorous side of the floor. As he fills in his frame, Exum will grow into being a very good defender. Exum takes the ball and does a good job pushing the pace. He isn’t Derrick Rose quick. But he’s quick, crafty, and long enough to do his job on the fast break.
The highlight after that doesn’t matter, but right after that we see a beautiful pass by Exum on the fast break. That’s a deep bounce pass that was perfectly placed. Exum makes really sound passes. He isn’t a John Wall level passer, and doesn’t do anything that will blow your head off, but he has a nice feel for passing.
The next pass is more impressive to me. They are both similar in the sense that they are fast break one handed bounce passes. But he uses his length to go around his defender to make that pass. He makes that pass one second earlier or later, and the end result is much worse.
Overall, Exum is a player with great potential. He’s still really raw but seems to be a smart player. His work ethic, by all accounts, is great. With the teaching of the crazy Quinn Snyder, I think Dante Exum will be a star in this league.
"

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2r2qvz/dante_exum_analysis_warning_im_new_to_this/

TBH, I was disappointed Dante provided no real analysis of the highlights. I think he might have reel potential, though; he looks good on film.

"analysis of a highlight reel"

Must be the KKK of Laker's fans.

No talk of playing the 3 doe.

I think this dude does a good job for what he's trying to accomplish. Nothing of importance, just describes all the plays. Basically says Exum has a really high BBIQ and some advanced skills for his age. Says he needs to bulk up and get better at scoring from everywhere. Pretty much what we all know as fans. This bloke has been impressed with his set shots from 3.

Loved Gerald Green stopping to pose on his 3 pt shot while Hood was heading down the court for a layup.

I tire of hearing everybody tell Exum to bulk up. He's skinny he's not going to add muscle. What he needs is to model his game after Kevin Durante and use his lankiness to his advantage.

Great Salt Lakers, New Orleans Jazz, LA Smog Botox Attack. Lets set things straight.

Utah actually was an important place for Jazz music. Joe McQueen and Red Nichols were from here. Porters and Waiters Club in Ogden hosted many of the greats numerous times, and was one of the most famous Jazz clubs in the nation. Ogden really was a hot spot post WWII because of its place on the railroad line between Kansas City and San Francisco. Salt Lake also had The Shubrick, Saltair, and The Salt Palace (the historic one on 9th and Main w/ the horsetrack and gambling) that had some keynote concerts and jam sessions.

Then there is also this little gem written about SLC [video=youtube_share;BgawF0W9i-Q]https://youtu.be/BgawF0W9i-Q

We aren't New Orleans or Kansas City important to Jazz, but we have made our stamp on it. Not like LA w/ no Lakes.

Utah actually was an important place for Jazz music. Joe McQueen and Red Nichols were from here. Porters and Waiters Club in Ogden hosted many of the greats numerous times, and was one of the most famous Jazz clubs in the nation. Ogden really was a hot spot post WWII because of its place on the railroad line between Kansas City and San Francisco. Salt Lake also had The Shubrick, Saltair, and The Salt Palace (the historic one on 9th and Main w/ the horsetrack and gambling) that had some keynote concerts and jam sessions.

Then there is also this little gem written about SLC [video=youtube_share;BgawF0W9i-Q]https://youtu.be/BgawF0W9i-Q

We aren't New Orleans or Kansas City important to Jazz, but we have made our stamp on it. Not like LA w/ no Lakes.

Joe McQueen isn't from Utah..... He moved to Utah at age 26.