What's new

Derrick Favors/Al Jefferson front court - how good can it be?

Which front-court would you rather have?

• Al Horford/Josh Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kendrick Perkins/Kevin Garnett

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ferguson_Mellochill

2019 Prediction Contest Winner
What is the potential of Derrick Favors and Al Jefferson as a starting C/PF rotation?

Does it rank with the best front court rotations in the league during the past few years--pts., rebs., and defense?

Best Frontcourt:
  • Andrew Bynum/Pau Gasol
  • Al Horford/Josh Smith
  • Kendrick Perkins/Kevin Garnett
  • Tyson Chandler/Dirk Nowitzki
  • Derrick Favors/Al Jefferson
[/LIST]

I would rather have Favors/AJ because Bynum is always injured and Gasol is getting old. Ours are young guns and worth building around.

How about some stats to make this thread appealing?

4 people or 66.67% like Bynum/Gasol.

3 people or 33.3% like Favors/AJ.

The other options have 0% of the vote.

You'd have to project stats based on what Favors has done in his limited minutes as a rookie.... but I'll pull some basic stats together.

Stats...

PTS REB AST BLK
GASOL 18.8 10.2 3.5 1.6
BYNUM 11.5 9 1.3 2
TOTAL 30.3 19.2 4.8 3.6

PTS REB AST BLK
SMITH 16.6 8.7 3.3 1.7
HORFORD 15.6 9.5 3.6 1
TOTAL 32.2 18.2 6.9 2.7

PTS REB AST BLK
GARNETT 19.6 10.7 4.1 1.6
PERKINS 6.4 6.1 1 1.4
TOTAL 26 16.8 5.1 3

PTS REB AST BLK
NOWITZKI 23.4 6.9 2.6 0.7
CHANDLER 10.2 9.4 0.4 1.1
TOTAL 33.6 16.3 3 1.8

PTS REB AST BLK
JEFFERSON 19.1 9.6 1.7 1.9
FAVORS* 9.7 8 0.7 1.4
TOTAL 28.8 17.6 2.4 3.3
* Projected to 30 mins/game

The stats don't reveal too much other than that Gasol/Bynum appear to be the best rebounding tandem and they have the most assists. We can look at FG% in another post. I haven't figured out what all gets factored into PER. The most relevant would probably be to look at defensive and rebounding efficiency. The bottom line is that we need Favors to grow into his potential as a physical force as an intimidator and on the boards.

Meh, I liked my stats better.

Our youth gives us tremendous potential. Plus, Millsap as our 6th man makes it even better.
There are other teams out there who have great potential in the front court too; Clippers with Griffin/Jordan/Kaman are gettin' scary already...
Kings with Cousins/Thompson/Whiteside may develop too...

When is Corbin going to learn and start Hayward! If Favors can get some kind of offensive game, he is going to be good. His defense is already good, and will continue to get better. Both of our rookies are superior defensively than their opositions starting over them. When this team grows, and hopefully our core wants to stay, we will be good.