What's new

Deseret News - Michael Jordan opens up about young Kobe Bryant in latest ‘The Last Dance’...

H

Herb Scribner

merlin_2264296.0.jpg
Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant shows the ball between Matt Harpring and Andrei Kirilenko as the Utah Jazz and the Lakers play NBA basketball in Salt Lake City, Utah, on March 20, 2008 | Deseret News
What did Michael Jordan say about Kobe Bryant?

The fifth episode of “The Last Dance” had a poignant opening message: “In loving memory of Kobe Bryant.”

And so began the latest episode of the ESPN and Netflix documentary about Michael Jordan and his last season on the Chicago Bulls, who went on to win a title for the 1997-98 season.

The episode began with the 1998 All Star Game from Madison Square Garden in New York. In that game, Bryant and Jordan faced off on opposing teams.

At the time, Kobe was a young upstart, being the youngest player to compete in the All-Star Game at the time. Jordan, meanwhile, was in his final All-Star Game.

The Eastern Conference team talked about how they want to “cook Kobe” in the game. Jordan said Bryant liked to bring the game to his opponents. They didn’t want to end up on Bryant’s posters — meaning they didn’t want to be dunked on — so they were going to bring the game to him.

Jordan said to Bryant in the All-Star Game: “I’ll see you down the road.”

Bryant was interviewed for the documentary, saying he considered Jordan a big brother. He said Jordan offered him advice in the middle of games about different shots he took. Bryant said Jordan told him to call anytime with any questions.

Bryant said he couldn’t have won his five NBA titles without learning from Jordan.

Bryant said, “What you get from me is from him. I don’t get five championships without him.”

Full Story from the Deseret News...