What's new

Deseret News - Woj breaks news in funny video that Tony Finau has become a Jazz fan with Ryan Smith as owner, leaving the Lakers

R

Ryan McDonald

20170915 Tony Finau watches his tee shot on the fourth hole during the second round of the BMW Championship golf tournament at Conway Farms Golf Club, Friday, Sept. 15, 2017, in Lake Forest, Ill. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh) Nam Y. Huh Tony Finau AP

Tony Finau watches his tee shot on the fourth hole during the second round of the BMW Championship golf tournament at Conway Farms Golf Club, Friday, Sept. 15, 2017, in Lake Forest, Ill. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh) Nam Y. Huh Tony Finau AP | Nam Y. Huh, AP

Tony Finau has changed his NBA fan allegiance, and he got one of the league’s best news breakers to deliver the message in a funny video posted on Twitter Wednesday night.

Finau, the PGA Tour golfer who is a Utah native, teamed up with ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski (known in league circles as just “Woj”) to announce that he is becoming a Jazz fan after a lifetime of being a Los Angeles Lakers fan, at least in large part because he is good friends with new Jazz owner Ryan Smith.

From his home office that he’s regularly delivered news from during the pandemic, Woj said, “Hey, guys, breaking news into SportsCenter. The fan rights of lifelong Lakers fan Tony Finau have been acquired by the Utah Jazz I’m told for a heavily protected first-round pick and a couple of Titleist balls they dug out of the lake, but new Jazz owner Ryan Smith is bringing Finau back home to Utah.”

In subsequent tweets that included his wife Alayna and kids, Finau wrote, “Thanks @wojespn!! Too good! The @Lakers organization has been great to me and I want to thank them for all the amazing moments over the years. But it’s time to come home! I am excited to be part of an exciting new era in @utahjazz history. I know that my brother @RyanQualtrics will do everything he can to bring an NBA Championship to our great state! Let’s get it, Utah!! Go Jazz!”

I know that my brother @RyanQualtrics will do everything he can to bring an NBA Championship to our great state! Let’s get it, Utah!! Go Jazz! pic.twitter.com/ECPnQf7bB1

— Tony Finau Golf (@tonyfinaugolf) December 24, 2020

Smith responded to Finau by writing, “Too Good.... let’s go”

Too Good.... let’s go https://t.co/Fy8qBEv8Pn

— Ryan Smith (@RyanQualtrics) December 24, 2020

The Jazz are opening their season Wednesday night on the road against the Portland Trail Blazers.

Full Story from the Deseret News...