What's new

Devin Harris Interview

Zerol

https://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/26992/devin-harris-out-of-the-box

“D-Will traded to the Nets!” the headlines screamed in February, harkening the arrival in New Jersey of three-time All-Star Deron Williams, among the best point guards in the league.

Meanwhile, the Nets’ outgoing Floorleader of the Future, a soft-spoken, all-but-forgotten former All-Star, packed his bags and headed West to quietly take his place as heir to a throne where Williams and, before him, Hall of Famer John Stockton once perched.

Pressure? What pressure? Devin Harris, who’d previously replaced point guards Steve Nash in Dallas and Jason Kidd in New Jersey, has been there, done that, emerging with a stellar though spotted resume that might read, in part:
2008-9: All-Star selection; averaged 21.3 points 6.9 assist per game; 34-48 record
2009-10: suffered ankle and shoulder injuries; averaged 16.9 and 6.6; 12 wins; no, seriously, this team was horrible

The fifth pick in the 2004 draft, who is averaging 14.9 and 7.1 this season, has a new lease on life in Utah, where they’re accustomed to playoff appearances. And while their marriage has been tested early -- Utah sits 6 games behind 8th seeded Memphis going into Friday's contest with the Lakers, which Harris is expected to miss due to a nagging hamstring injury -- Harris has high hopes.

He said as much when he sat down with True Hoop to discuss his past, his game and his new home.

Well, hotel, anyway.

Everybody’s talking about D-Will. Do you get the sense that you’re the forgotten man in this deal?

I don’t think so. I think it was a deal both sides could be happy with. When they told me that I had to be a part of the deal for the Jazz, that’s all I cared about, knowing I’m wanted. They traded for me, and I’m happy to be here. I can see potential for being here long-term. I haven’t been in the playoff hunt for quite some time. I’m excited to be back in this position.

Are the Jazz getting the 08-09 Devin Harris, or the one from the first half of this season?

I think they will get the old Devin. When I get more accustomed to the offense, they’ll see that Devin. In a situation like NJ, sometimes you have to sacrifice your offense to get wins. We have so many new additions, and too many guys who need the ball to be effective, so sometimes the point guard has to sacrifice his game. The system focused on 2 and 3 guards and big men. There weren’t a lot of plays run for me, so I tried to get it where I could. And it’s run at a slow pace, so it’s hard to push the ball. It’s more predicated on the point guard being a high-assists guy.

How will you fit in the Jazz offense?

It’s predicated more to what I do. In transition, the guys run wide and leave the floor open for me, which plays into what I do well: pushing the ball and trying to get it in transition. I’m better when moving without the ball, getting layups and reading the defense. I’m still learning the system, but I’m trying to be effective in transition as well.

Will you have the green light, or do you see yourself as more of a facilitator in Utah?

A little bit of both. In transition, I’ll have the greenlight to get to the paint, do what I do best. But everybody in this offense is a facilitator. It’s a high-assist offense, but anybody can be open at any time. Everybody touches the ball and moves around.

Who among your new teammates are you excited to play with?

I love our 4/5 combo, Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap, two guys who you can throw the ball to and watch them get their buckets. That’s something I haven’t really had the last couple of years. It’s hard to double team either of them, or you’re going to leave the shooters open. I’m excited to play around with that.

You were an All-Star in New Jersey, but you played on one of the worst teams of all time, too. Looking back, fond or sad memories?

Both. My All-Star year, we had a great team. I loved playing with Vince and those guys, and we made a playoffs push. But I liked the guys we had last year, too. But I’m probably not going to feature that season in my photo album. (Laughs.) It’s not something I want to remember.

You had a rocky early history with Avery Johnson, when he was your coach in Dallas. How would you describe your relationship over the last six months in New Jersey?

We both kind of took a step a back, let bygones be bygones for the betterment of the team. Obviously, I know his offense better than most guys from (my days in) Dallas, so I knew what to expect. Over the years, we’ve grown. We still talk. I talked to him right after the trade, about my new situation, how I can be effective. Our relationship is good now, whether he’s my coach or not.

From an outsider’s perspective, it seems as if Avery has changed his approach since his days in Dallas. He’s chilled out a bit with this current squad.

I think that’s true. He has to be more patient with this younger team. Expectations in Dallas were so high, it brought him to be more of a…what’s the word I’m looking for? He couldn’t let anything slide. They had to win a championship. He’s patient, now. His players don’t really know the system.

Maybe the word you were looking for there was “uptight”?

(Laughs.) Eh, not really “uptight.” Just more of a perfectionist.

Speaking of expectations, you’ll have D-Will’s shoes to fill. Is that pressure?

It’s not, and I can’t really explain why. It’s a position I’ve been in before. I had to replace Steve Nash in Dallas and Jason Kidd in New Jersey. It’s something I’m used to. Forget pressure. Play your game. The great thing about this team, if you play hard, they’ll love you.

Early in your career, you were known as a lockdown defender. Then, you became a scorer and pundits claimed you’d lost focus on defense. What happened?

I can be a lot of different things. In Dallas, my role was to be a defender. We had guys who could shoot. To get on the floor, I had to play defense. In New Jersey, they needed me to score, so sometimes my defense suffered. I think I can be both. Depends on the situation.

What’s the biggest weakness in your game right now and how will you address it?

3-point shooting. I haven’t shot a whole lot of them. But I’m going to continue to shoot. I think I’ll shoot more 3s here, with the way we space the floor, and I want to shoot a high percentage, so I shoot them every day in practice.

What are your personal goals, now and for your career?

For now, it’s to get this team back to the playoffs. The expectations are like that here, as an organization. I like that pressure. As far as my career, I have to get back to winning. I have to win. It’s been a rough couple of years. I have to win, and go from there. Getting back to being an All-Star and all that, that comes from winning. Not too many losers get into the All-Star game.

You’ve gone through a midseason trade before. When you get the call, I take it you don’t run out with your cousin and rent a U-Haul. How does that go down?

(Laughs) I was actually more prepared for this trade. My stuff was packed, ready to go. I was just waiting for the call. With the Melo situation, between Denver and NJ, I figured I’d be moving one way or another, maybe to Denver. Denver’s a great city. And I had a great relationship with George Karl, back when he was with the Bucks. I thought that was good situation too.

You were one of the many players who were linked to the Melo Drama. What were your thoughts on that?

It was a rare situation where a player is in control of his own destiny. I’m happy he got to go to the city he wanted. Obviously, that changed a lot of lives and teams. But a player with that power, that doesn’t happen very often. It happened with LeBron, and now with Carmelo.

Do you think that power shift, from teams to those players, bodes well for the players in your labor battle with the league?

I definitely think so. In the past, the owners had all the power. Going into our negotiations, we’ll have some type of leverage. The more leverage, the higher the chances we can avoid a lockout.

You’re living in a hotel now?

Yessir.

I went to one of those storage places, where you can get boxes for wardrobes. All I have with me is five or six suits and some other stuff, like my pajamas. I’m a pajama man. (Laughs.) I couldn’t leave my plaid Polo jammies behind. So, I’m good for now. I’ll probably stay here for the remainder of the season. It’s comfortable. Everybody’s great, all the bell guys and managers. Shout out to Grand America, Salt Lake City!

Is it true you’ve got 400 sneakers?

No. 475. (Laughs.) But who’s counting?

I take it there wasn’t much room for those in the hotel room?

No, unfortunately. I only brought around 12 or so. I’ll make it work, though.

Is it easier when you’re traded with a teammate, so you’re not the only new kid in school?

I’ve had it both ways. Doesn’t really matter. I have it different as a point guard. I have to interact with everybody. Might be harder for guys at other positions to fit in, but I haven’t had a problem. PGs are more outgoing personalities. You can’t really be quiet.

You swapped New York area for Utah. Not so cool?

As far as the nightlife, well, I’m getting older. But Utah is still a great city. It’s not New York City, but winning is more important.

They’ve got some good skiing out there.

Yeah. If only I could ski.

What’s the most fun you’ve had in Utah so far?

I went to the movies, to see “Unknown.” And it was a really good movie theater, actually. The first I’ve been to where you can pick your own seats.

Hate to break it to you, but those theaters have been everywhere for a while, now.

Oh, man. I need to get out more.

Last question: You’re not gonna get any coach’s fired like the last guy, are you?

(Laughs) That’s not my style.