What's new

Don/Rudy ESPN Article

LoPo

Like I said, much to do about nothing. I thought it was an excellent article. The media and fans look for drama and I can tell you if both superstar's fiction is a 2 out of 10 then everything is going to be ok. Both guys have egos but what is important is both are competitive and want to win. I loved the quote where Rudy says if I were a 12 year old I would rather watch DM. Just shows you that Rudy is not full of himself.

It definitely doesn't (didn't) seem like nothing to me. I'm glad they are on decent terms now, but it absolutely seems like it was a pretty big deal.

Just connecting a bunch of dots, salary cap, contracts, league trends, future of the league, and now this, I'd say it's very unlikely that the Jazz keep their current core around for the long run. But hopefully they figure out how to make it work.

It definitely doesn't (didn't) seem like nothing to me. I'm glad they are on decent terms now, but it absolutely seems like it was a pretty big deal.

Just connecting a bunch of dots, salary cap, contracts, league trends, future of the league, and now this, I'd say it's very unlikely that the Jazz keep their current core around for the long run. But hopefully they figure out how to make it work.

Agree... felt like I read a different article than the other posters... Here is my take. This is a marriage on the rocks and they are going on a 14 day European cruise together. Will it save the marriage and remind them why they need to be together or will it drive the stake in the heart of the relationship. Honestly the worst scenario is that it just kinda goes "meh" and they go into the summer with a passive aggressive tension while negotiating contracts.

Let's break it down... Rudy doesn't get the ball anymore... you took two passers out of the starting lineup from last year so it rests on Don to kinda get him going. He gets frustrated/jealous and things don't change... The team chemistry is off all year and Rudy stops giving the monster defensive efforts he used to. Then the virus hits...

Rudy test positive and maybe there were shenanigans behind closed doors. I think we are guessing... if it was just that Rudy had out of country visitors and touched some microphones then DM is being a diva. He had out of town people and was not distancing at all... had lots of pics before one of the games with his mom and some foundation.

Rudy reaches out on every platform...DM ghosts him... DM goes on national TV and throws him under the bus... DM stonewalls him for weeks until Rudy says "hey I'm not coming on these zoom calls unless DM and I can clear the air" so finally they talk. And now they are "good".

Rudy seems very introspective and honest. Calls himself the *******, annoying, etc. It appears to me he is VERY self aware. I think he is cool without the megamax, I think he is cool doing the dirty work (if he feels appreciated), I think he is cool seemingly being the Robin to DM's Batman even if it is the other way around. I don't think DM is doing enough to understand his perspective, be sympathetic, and adjust.

I love both of these guys, they need to figure it out and connect rather than just "staying together for the kids"... otherwise at the next bump in the road all the issues re-surface.

The other quote from an insider saying it was a 2 out of 10 on the drama scale... Daryl Morey also said there were no issues with CP and Harden before he traded CP for a guy that didn't fit, cost a **** ton of money, and gave up picks to do so. This **** ain't good guys.

Agree... felt like I read a different article than the other posters... Here is my take. This is a marriage on the rocks and they are going on a 14 day European cruise together. Will it save the marriage and remind them why they need to be together or will it drive the stake in the heart of the relationship. Honestly the worst scenario is that it just kinda goes "meh" and they go into the summer with a passive aggressive tension while negotiating contracts.

Let's break it down... Rudy doesn't get the ball anymore... you took two passers out of the starting lineup from last year so it rests on Don to kinda get him going. He gets frustrated/jealous and things don't change... The team chemistry is off all year and Rudy stops giving the monster defensive efforts he used to. Then the virus hits...

Rudy test positive and maybe there were shenanigans behind closed doors. I think we are guessing... if it was just that Rudy had out of country visitors and touched some microphones then DM is being a diva. He had out of town people and was not distancing at all... had lots of pics before one of the games with his mom and some foundation.

Rudy reaches out on every platform...DM ghosts him... DM goes on national TV and throws him under the bus... DM stonewalls him for weeks until Rudy says "hey I'm not coming on these zoom calls unless DM and I can clear the air" so finally they talk. And now they are "good".

Rudy seems very introspective and honest. Calls himself the *******, annoying, etc. It appears to me he is VERY self aware. I think he is cool without the megamax, I think he is cool doing the dirty work (if he feels appreciated), I think he is cool seemingly being the Robin to DM's Batman even if it is the other way around. I don't think DM is doing enough to understand his perspective, be sympathetic, and adjust.

I love both of these guys, they need to figure it out and connect rather than just "staying together for the kids"... otherwise at the next bump in the road all the issues re-surface.

The other quote from an insider saying it was a 2 out of 10 on the drama scale... Daryl Morey also said there were no issues with CP and Harden before he traded CP for a guy that didn't fit, cost a **** ton of money, and gave up picks to do so. This **** ain't good guys.
I think Palpatine / Darth Vader is better than the Batman analogy. Darth Vader is the image and the muscle publicly, but it’s really Palpatine with the strength moving things along. Maybe there’s another analogy. Ultimately Darth Vader dies in the process of trying to kill Palpatine, but from all external vantage points gets accolades for being the hero.

I think Palpatine / Darth Vader is better than the Batman analogy. Darth Vader is the image and the muscle publicly, but it’s really Palpatine with the strength moving things along. Maybe there’s another analogy. Ultimately Darth Vader dies in the process of trying to kill Palpatine, but from all external vantage points gets accolades for being the hero.
The marriage analogy is more applicable. Feels like Rudy is the stay at home mom keeping **** together and DM is the businessman that brings the kids expensive gifts and seems like the hero all the time. DM needs to take the trash out more and show more affection... Rudy needs to stop being a nag... problem is when one thing gets tripped up it’s starts a downward spiral towards divorce. They need counseling but are only addressing things on the surface level and calling it “good”.

I think Mitchell choosing not to talk to the reporters for the article is slightly concerning. Like get over it. Learn how to play the game. It’s your chance now months later to comment intelligently on it all and mend **** publicly. Choosing not to do so for his own self-righteous or selfish reasons isn’t a good indication to me of what’s to come.

I hope they figure it out, it would really hurt to see either dude playing in a different jersey. Here are the best outcomes ranked in order...

1- Things go great in Orlando and they click in realizing the partnership is worth working for.
2- Things fail miserably forcing the team to make a big decision but we get something and can move on.
3- Things go meh and they plug along but the tension hurts everyone ... one of them doesn't sign an extension or a less than ideal extension and they move together for a while before either leaving or getting traded.

I hope they figure it out, it would really hurt to see either dude playing in a different jersey. Here are the best outcomes ranked in order...

1- Things go great in Orlando and they click in realizing the partnership is worth working for.
2- Things fail miserably forcing the team to make a big decision but we get something and can move on.
3- Things go meh and they plug along but the tension hurts everyone ... one of them doesn't sign an extension or a less than ideal extension and they move together for a while before either leaving or getting traded.

4-Down the line, Don continues to say he loves Utah but is non-commital about staying and we roll the dice on him just like we did with Hayward but lose him for nothing.

It’s not about balls. It’s about truly not knowing and therefore being unable to commit.
I think if they don’t address the issue DM will become unhappy eventually and request a trade like PG did. I don’t think we roll the dice with Don. He may also be eligible for extensions that Hayward wasn’t because he makes all nba teams or something. I don’t worry about him leaving us for nothing. I worry he wants a 2 or 3 plus one contract instead of a five year deal and that signals to other potential players he is getting out sooner rather than later. Kind of hamstrings the organization.

I don't think the relationship is fixed, but it also doesn't seem broken. If they can work it out, it seems fine.

I still don't know how or why some of you are so ill towards Donovan. He hasn't said anything badly about Rudy at all through this whole process. When Rudy did what he did (and we still don't know what he did behind closed doors), Donovan let it slip that he was upset at Rudy. That's a completely normal reaction in very abnormal times.

If you and a family member get in a fight during Thanksgiving, it might be awkward until Christmas if you don't see each other in between. Rudy and Donovan had an issue at Thanksgiving. If they still have an issue after meeting back up her soon (Christmas), then start picking sides, spreading rumors, etc.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't think the relationship is fixed, but it also doesn't seem broken. If they can work it out, it seems fine.

I still don't know how or why some of you are so ill towards Donovan. He hasn't said anything badly about Rudy at all through this whole process. When Rudy did what he did (and we still don't know what he did behind closed doors), Donovan let it slip that he was upset at Rudy. That's a completely normal reaction in very abnormal times.

If you and a family member get in a fight during Thanksgiving, it might be awkward until Christmas if you don't see each other in between. Rudy and Donovan had an issue at Thanksgiving. If they still have an issue after meeting back up her soon (Christmas), then start picking sides, spreading rumors, etc.

This is something I am well versed in because of my wife's family. Arguments happen but when there is dialogue right after things can be smoothed over. If there is underlying tension then every issue gets magnified and every time there is a bump in the road it has potential to blow up. It seems like they are going for the quick fix here rather than really diving in and working on the relationship.

I love DM... he's great and super mature. The cardinal rule is to rebuke in private... he indicated there was an issue on national TV and sent some stuff to Woj through his agent... that's not great. He also stonewalled Rudy... that's not great.

It can be worked through but they shouldn't wait for the bubble. In an environment like that issues could intensify. My brother-in-law was struggling for money and went to work for his dad for a while... they have always been oil and water... I told them it was a super ****** idea. They have a lot of long standing tension and issues between them... couple months go by without a major issue... then a small bump hits and holy balls the **** hit the fan. Months later they still don't like each other and its still awkward between them.

This is something I am well versed in because of my wife's family. Arguments happen but when there is dialogue right after things can be smoothed over. If there is underlying tension then every issue gets magnified and every time there is a bump in the road it has potential to blow up. It seems like they are going for the quick fix here rather than really diving in and working on the relationship.

I love DM... he's great and super mature. The cardinal rule is to rebuke in private... he indicated there was an issue on national TV and sent some stuff to Woj through his agent... that's not great. He also stonewalled Rudy... that's not great.

It can be worked through but they shouldn't wait for the bubble. In an environment like that issues could intensify. My brother-in-law was struggling for money and went to work for his dad for a while... they have always been oil and water... I told them it was a super ****** idea. They have a lot of long standing tension and issues between them... couple months go by without a major issue... then a small bump hits and holy balls the **** hit the fan. Months later they still don't like each other and its still awkward between them.
I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's to that level. This isn't quite a family building hostility thing. Donovan saying he was upset with Rudy wasn't that big a deal for me. He didn't say what Rudy did. He didn't whine about it publicly. He simply leaked to Woj that he was unhappy with a teammate. I think more is being made of that than needs to be.

To me, Rudy nagging at teammates was going to wear down relationships more than anything else. Rudy even acknowledges how much of an ahole he is. To me, that's more of an issue than anything that happened during this Covid time. Nobody likes playing with a high maintenance teammate.

I'm not worried about it really. If they cant work it out, we will keep one and move on. The good thing is that both of them are tradeable this offseason. Its not like we are close to losing somebody for nothing over this.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's to that level. This isn't quite a family building hostility thing. Donovan saying he was upset with Rudy wasn't that big a deal for me. He didn't say what Rudy did. He didn't whine about it publicly. He simply leaked to Woj that he was unhappy with a teammate. I think more is being made of that than needs to be.

To me, Rudy nagging at teammates was going to wear down relationships more than anything else. Rudy even acknowledges how much of an ahole he is. To me, that's more of an issue than anything that happened during this Covid time. Nobody likes playing with a high maintenance teammate.

I'm not worried about it really. If they cant work it out, we will keep one and move on. The good thing is that both of them are tradeable this offseason. Its not like we are close to losing somebody for nothing over this.

Its the productive ahole type though. I've had bosses or coaches I didn't like because they drive hard and care a lot. It's similar to MJ, Kobe, CP3 to me... it wears on teammates at times. He seems like he is self aware and will hopefully improve... not sure on DM. So I don't think its HIGH maintenance... he wants some maintenance though. DM touches the ball a ton so he controls things... if the ball was moving away from him and he thought he could benefit the team and himself then I promise his teammates would hear about it.

Leaking to Woj that you are unhappy is similar to talking **** behind someone's back... especially when Rudy was reaching out and DM was stonewalling him. If you are upset talk to him... if you are super upset and don't want to talk to him then don't talk to anyone. It violates trust that is hard to regain.

DM is a great dude... way more mature and better than I was at that age for sure. He botched this relationship a bit and I think it is him that needs to reach out and mend things. Rudy is clearly apologetic. I think right now they are on a path that leads to a breakup... need to get it back on track... in a high stress, new, environment. They could figure it out... I hope like hell they do.

Its the productive ahole type though. I've had bosses or coaches I didn't like because they drive hard and care a lot. It's similar to MJ, Kobe, CP3 to me... it wears on teammates at times. He seems like he is self aware and will hopefully improve... not sure on DM. So I don't think its HIGH maintenance... he wants some maintenance though. DM touches the ball a ton so he controls things... if the ball was moving away from him and he thought he could benefit the team and himself then I promise his teammates would hear about it.

Leaking to Woj that you are unhappy is similar to talking **** behind someone's back... especially when Rudy was reaching out and DM was stonewalling him. If you are upset talk to him... if you are super upset and don't want to talk to him then don't talk to anyone. It violates trust that is hard to regain.

DM is a great dude... way more mature and better than I was at that age for sure. He botched this relationship a bit and I think it is him that needs to reach out and mend things. Rudy is clearly apologetic. I think right now they are on a path that leads to a breakup... need to get it back on track... in a high stress, new, environment. They could figure it out... I hope like hell they do.
It would be awkward to be on a plane together right now as this story hit the web lol.

DM is super mature? Lmao. No.

One of the most important parts of one’s maturity is emotional maturity and Don has shown through all this that by choosing not to talk about it or reach back out to Rudy despite Gobert’s many attempts early on, that Don is butthurt and continues to be butthurt by it.

Last edited:
DM is super mature? Lmao. No.
One of the most important parts of one’s maturity is emotional maturity and Don has shown through all this that by choosing not to talk about it or reach back out to Rudy despite Gobert’s many attempts early on is that Don is butthurt and continues to be butthurt by it.

He's almost 24... one bad relationship/interaction doesn't say everything about a guy's maturity/character. There is the possibility that Rudy did something behind closed doors that was more egregious than touching some mics.

I wish he handled it differently... I hope he really tries to meet Rudy half way and that he improves... either way I still think he's a very mature young man.