What's new

DST For You and Me!

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
It's coming! Daylight Saving Time. March 14th set your clocks forward 1hr.

OG-DW646_202003_G_20200302171613.gif

I love it!

Literally the best thing George W. Bush did as President was to expand daylight savings.
Would have been better if he had stuck us on it year-round.

When are they going to get rid of this stupid time change? Stick it on DST and leave it there! **** me. *******s in congress, it is time to get rid of this archaic crap.

When are they going to get rid of this stupid time change? Stick it on DST and leave it there! **** me. *******s in congress, it is time to get rid of this archaic crap.
Agreed
And I don't even care which time they choose. Just pick one and stick with it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Utah passed a DST year round bill, but it requires states around us to also adopt year round DST before it takes effect.

Its very nice that all of China is the same time and no DST. Its a little strange being in certain areas away from the capital where the time is based on but its easy to adjust to. Every place just adjust on their own when work or whatever starts and that changes throughout the year if needed.

Its very nice that all of China is the same time and no DST. Its a little strange being in certain areas away from the capital where the time is based on but its easy to adjust to. Every place just adjust on their own when work or whatever starts and that changes throughout the year if needed.
That would be so smart for the U.S. to do. So what if we go to work at 3am in the west... just after the sun comes up.

That and the metric system.

U.S.A. got to U.S.A. though.

I don’t understand the hate daylight savings gets. So what if you’re a little tired for a day or two? Now you get a lot more sunlight to enjoy when you come home from work. A working stiff like me loved being able to come home from Work, go on a run, and bbq with the family outside with plenty of sunlight.

I hate the other way. Drive in the dark then come home in the dark. It sucks. Just like the Sixers

Last edited:
I don’t understand the hate daylight savings gets. So what if you’re a little tired for a day or two? Now you get a lot more sunlight to enjoy when you come home from work. A working stiff like me loved being able to come home from Work, go on a run, and bbq with the family outside with plenty of sunlight.

I hate the other way. Drive in the dark then come home in the dark. It sucks. Just like the Sixers
The complaints about having to adjust your schedule one time... do people realize most night shift workers flip their schedules 180° multiple times a week?

Everyone read up on all the harm DST does and go hug a night shift worker who has a significantly reduced life span, higher risk for death from almost all major causes, depression, divorce, suicide, drug and alcohol addiction and on and on.

But yeah, adjusting 1 whole hour, my goodness.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JazzFanz mobile app

I personally don’t care if we stay on DST or Standard time. I just don’t want to be switching twice a year. The idea that we control time is preposterous to me.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app
But we do control time. If my boss says I have to work between 9:00-5:00 and that begins at what used to be noon, then who am I dispute it? The 24 hour day and 7 day week and 12 month year is a human construct.

Adjusting time so we can best take advantage of the sunlight provided to us in the spring and summer is us controlling time to better meet our needs. I don’t get why this is such a big deal. You get tired for a few days adjusting in the spring. But it pays dividends immediately. Just look, sunset isn’t even until 7:30 today. That’s awesome. It gives most working class folks time to drive home in the light, watch their kids play sports in the light, and have a nice bbq in the light.

The reason why we adjust in the winter is for similar reasons. if we didn’t adjust, sunrise wouldn’t be until 8:00-8:30. We adjust one hour to best take advantage of light.

You get tired for a few days adjusting in the spring.

But see, you are telling others how it affects them. You don't know how it effects others.
I do know however that there are statistics that show that there are more accidents and injuries at home and at work after the time changes.

Many people want to do away with it for whatever reason. This is one of those times where I wish we would use our democracy better.
Put it to a nationwide vote. Or let individual states vote on it.
I also wish we could simply vote on things like abortion and marijuana legalization and things like that but that's another story

I would be 100% fine if the sun didn't rise until 8 am in the winter. What is there to do before 8 am in the winter anyway?

For those who think a year-round system would be better...it helps to be old enough to remember this.

On Jan. 8, 1974, Richard Nixon forced Floridians and the entire nation into a year-round daylight saving – a vain attempt to stave off an energy crisis and lessen the impact of an OPEC oil embargo.

But before the end of the first month of daylight saving that January, eight children died in traffic accidents in Florida, and a spokesperson for Florida’s education department attributed six of those deaths directly to children going to school in darkness.

Aren't there States that stay one way year round already? Arizona iirc?

Congress enacted a trial period of year-round DST (P.L. 93-182), beginning January 6, 1974, and ending April 27, 1975.[12] The trial was hotly debated. Those in favor pointed to increased daylight hours in the summer evening: more time for recreation, reduced lighting and heating demands, reduced crime, and reduced automobile accidents. The opposition was concerned about children leaving for school in the dark and the construction industry was concerned about morning accidents.