What's new

Dude, you have no Quran

While I think it is dumb to burn any religious text or American Flag I do believe they have the right to do it. Even if it is dumb.

But people don't have the right to have their individual beliefs respected?

If people have the right to symbolically burn a token of an individual belief, then there should be equal rights given to a party who try to prevent them from doing so, symbolically of course.

the downfall of western civilization part 2 began when the word "meme" entered our vocabulary

I mean, seriously, did our ideas not exist pre-meme?

https://www.memecentral.com/

Memes are the basic building blocks of our minds and culture, in the same way that genes are the basic building blocks of biological life....

The breakthrough in memetics is in extending Darwinian evolution to culture....

If people have the right to symbolically burn a token of an individual belief, then there should be equal rights given to a party who try to prevent them from doing so, symbolically of course.

There should be? Do they have ownership of this specific Qur'an? They may try to claim ownership over the text inside the book. Just as Muslims in the United States have the right to burn a bible so does a preacher have a right to burn a Qur'an. This is the problem. People are only willing to accept this type of behavior when they exercise it. But when someone of an opposing view tries to do the same thing they attempt to restrict their freedom. Are both cases in poor taste? Sure, but it is a slippery slope to deny one group a right and let another do it.

I find it even funnier that he didn't actually say that when he took it and it still caught on. No doubt it was a nice snag though.

Respect of your beliefs by others isn't a right. It's nice to have and it's courteous to give but you'd have to restrict free speech to even begin to enforce such a right.