What's new
  • This community for NHL hockey in Utah will migrate from JazzFanz.com to a stand-alone location in the coming months. For now, lets talk hockey!

Educate me.

Rubashov

2019 Award Winner
So I'm sort of familiar with Ice hockey and the rules, I'm more interested in the money.

What's the annual payroll of a NHL team? What would a star player be on per season? I know they have bigger rosters than the NBA but I'm guessing the cap is much lower?

What are the costs? Don't most of these teams run and fund a few feeder teams like you get in baseball?

What's the cost of a season ticket in comparison to an NBA season ticket? Is it potentially cheaper for fans or will it be the same price more or less?

So I'm sort of familiar with Ice hockey and the rules, I'm more interested in the money.

What's the annual payroll of a NHL team? What would a star player be on per season? I know they have bigger rosters than the NBA but I'm guessing the cap is much lower?

What are the costs? Don't most of these teams run and fund a few feeder teams like you get in baseball?

What's the cost of a season ticket in comparison to an NBA season ticket? Is it potentially cheaper for fans or will it be the same price more or less?
These are actually most of the questions of what I had and I asked AI this week. Off the top of my head, this is what I found out or had previously known:

- In terms of viewership per game, NFL is 15ish million per game, NBA 3 million per game, MLB 2.5 million per game and NHL 400k per game. I think Stanley Cup was something like 2 million per game, which is absolutely wild that the top games have drastically less viewership than regular season of any of the other sports.

- In terms of salaries, I was anticipating them to be proportionally much lower than the other leagues, but was surprised to find out mean salary is $3.5M.

- I think the cap is around $58M.

- There's a minor league but I don't fully understand it. The Utah Grizzlies were the minor league team for the Dallas Stars, at least back in the 90s, but then the Utah Grizzlies moved and I think we have another Utah Grizzlies that's in a different league. I don't know anything about the different leagues or anything like that. I know less about hockey rules.

Not sure I fully understand the economics of this league/sport.