What's new

Esperanto

So this was a serious query, kids.

With England brexiting, there's all the thought of removing English as an official language of the EU. And now there's discussion of actually sponsoring Esperanto as an official language of the EU with the removal of English.

Does this make anyone else excited besides me?

Or are you all completely blind to the Utopian vision that is behind the establishment of Esperanto as a language?

Considering I had never heard of Esperanto until you brought it up, I literally could not give a flying rat's ***.

Sí. Hablo español.

I'm going to assume you learned that on a 2 year hiatus from the "real world" sometime in your late teens and early twenties. Amiright?
Anyway...
Do you ever feel at a disadvantage to native speakers of Spanish?

I'm going to assume you learned that on a 2 year hiatus from the "real world" sometime in your late teens and early twenties. Amiright?
Anyway...
Do you ever feel at a disadvantage to native speakers of Spanish?
Yes, I did my mission in Honduras.

Of course. Just like non native English speakers are at a disadvantage to us.

Of course. Just like non native English speakers are at a disadvantage to us.

That's one of the reasons Esperanto is cool.
No native country.
Everyone on a level playing field, nobody at a linguistic advantage.

What do you think the Soros reference I made was? George's father - Fahrvergnügen Soros - was one of the cogs tasked with pushing Esperanto out into the mainstream and popularizing it....hence why Georgey knows the language. Now that crowd will sell you the Utopian version of all their plans all day and all night....but obviously they just want more control and to destroy national boundaries/culture. You really buy into the Utopian long game of this stuff?

How will a common language give anyone more control? How will it destroy national boundaries and culture? I don't see the propagation of Esperanto and existence of vibrant national boundaries and culture as mutually exclusive.

And yes... to a certain extent... I do buy into it a little bit. I've had fun conversations with a number of people in other countries that don't know English, but know Esperanto. It's quite fun and interesting.

That's one of the reasons Esperanto is cool.
No native country.
Everyone on a level playing field, nobody at a linguistic advantage.
Meh.
I honestly never thought it was that big of a deal. Besides, people trying to learn it are not on the same playing field. There were more than a few gringos down there in Honduras that never quite "mastered" the language. No matter how hard they worked at it, they always just sounded different. I, on the other hand, literally convinced people that I was a native for long period of time. Why would this new made up language be any different?

Damn, I need more sleep.

Meh.
I honestly never thought it was that big of a deal. Besides, people trying to learn it are not on the same playing field. There were more than a few gringos down there in Honduras that never quite "mastered" the language. No matter how hard they worked at it, they always just sounded different. I, on the other hand, literally convinced people that I was a native for long period of time. Why would this new made up language be any different?

Damn, I need more sleep.

Well, the language is a lot easier to learn than any other language. Yes, people would ramp up as they learned, but the curve to fluency is much less steep.