What's new

Expectations for the Jazz this season

Ferguson_Mellochill

2019 Prediction Contest Winner
Looking at the way the Jazz played their first pre-season game, it looks to me like the Jazz have designed their offense to be similar to the Houston Rockets two seasons ago. Mitchell will have the ball in his hands a lot above the 3pt line, much like James Harden has in Houston. Mitchell's ability to get downhill and break the paint, with or without the use of a screen, lets him draw at least two defenders, and it opens up 3pt shooters to swing the ball and generate open 3pt looks. Rudy setting screens and rolling to the rim, like Clint Capella did, creates a lob threat and likely pulls in another defender. In other words, the Jazz shooting 50%+ of their shots as 3s might not be an aberration. Just swap Bogdanovic for Eric Gordon spacing the floor, swap either Mike Conley or Jordan Clarkson for Chris Paul playing off the ball, and you've basically got the Rockets #2 league-leading offensive system from two years ago. (The #1 offense was the Warriors.)

I would not be surprised at all if the Jazz are a top-5 offense this season. Actually, I'd expect it.

Defensively, the Jazz have re-added Derrick Favors and young blue-collar guys like Oni, Morgan and Harrison, who can mix in and out of lineups, with or without Gobert on the floor. That gives the Jazz potential to be a top-7 or 8 defense.

Assuming they stay healthy and don't have too many covid setbacks, I'm starting to think the Jazz have the potential to be a top-2 team in the west this year. I think Denver has taken a step back, and I'm not sure the Clippers have really taken a step forward. Dallas looks thin, especially without Porzingis, while Portland looks like it could move back up into the top 4.

My expectations are throttled by the memories of last year’s team—which displayed several layers of mental weakness and unflattering priorities.

And, as of right now, the best player on the team hasn’t signed an extension; the rising star has incentives that don’t precisely align with the team’s; the aging star is playing for his last contract..... In other words, there are several sticks of dynamite under a foundation that already didn’t provide me with a lot confidence.

The team has the potential to win more regular season games than anyone in the West. It also wouldn’t shock me if they finished 6th.

I also think it’s fair to have expectations of playoff struggles. I wouldn’t put money on us getting out of the 2nd round, even if we were the #1 seed. I hope an improved perimeter defense gets me thinking otherwise, but until I see it, I won’t bet on it.

I expect a really good regular season. Top 3 in West.

Playoffs are a total crapshoot. Hope for the best.

We can go big, small, and in between, we’re the best 3pt shooting team, deep as any team, nice mix of young and veteran players, and predict we will be a top 5 defensive, and top 10 offensive team. Second in the west third round in the playoffs.

4 or 5 in the west. Probably make the 2nd round barring injuries. That's about it.

My expectations are throttled by the memories of last year’s team—which displayed several layers of mental weakness and unflattering priorities.

And, as of right now, the best player on the team hasn’t signed an extension; the rising star has incentives that don’t precisely align with the team’s; the aging star is playing for his last contract..... In other words, there are several sticks of dynamite under a foundation that already didn’t provide me with a lot confidence.

The team has the potential to win more regular season games than anyone in the West. It also wouldn’t shock me if they finished 6th.

I also think it’s fair to have expectations of playoff struggles. I wouldn’t put money on us getting out of the 2nd round, even if we were the #1 seed. I hope an improved perimeter defense gets me thinking otherwise, but until I see it, I won’t bet on it.
Realistically we get to the second round... if we caught lightning in a bottle we could have a Portland run to the WCF or if there are a couple injuries a Miami type run to the finals.

Need a weird Conley trade.

I expect this for the Jazz also.

Just kidding, kind of. I think the Jazz will be better than last year, but that there is no reason to think it should be any smoother than last year.
We added Conley, Bojan, Davis, and Green to a complicated scheme last year. This year we added Favors, who knows the scheme and got rid of the people who complicated the scheme. I would expect the start to go much, much smoother than last year. Also, the front part of the schedule isn't flaming hot lava like we normally get spoonfed.

Our starting unit last year was 2nd best in the NBA, and now our bench is probably really, really good when it was hot trash at the beginning of last year. Why would you think that we wouldn't be better this year?

Ultimately, like for most teams a lot will depend on how healthy we can stay.

We added Conley, Bojan, Davis, and Green to a complicated scheme last year. This year we added Favors, who knows the scheme and got rid of the people who complicated the scheme. I would expect the start to go much, much smoother than last year. Also, the front part of the schedule isn't flaming hot lava like we normally get spoonfed.

Our starting unit last year was 2nd best in the NBA, and now our bench is probably really, really good when it was hot trash at the beginning of last year. Why would you think that we wouldn't be better this year?

Ultimately, like for most teams a lot will depend on how healthy we can stay.
Two problems with your claims above:

1. Q has never had a fast-starting team while with the Jazz. Years where there’s been continuity haven’t mattered so far. Why now?

2. The early schedule is brutal. I don’t know what you’re looking at. It’s the first- or second- hardest first-half schedule for a good team in the entire NBA.

Two problems with your claims above:

1. Q has never had a fast-starting team while with the Jazz. Years where there’s been continuity haven’t mattered so far. Why now?

2. The early schedule is brutal. I don’t know what you’re looking at. It’s the first- or second- hardest first-half schedule for a good team in the entire NBA.

Ehh, a road heavy early schedule this year is not comparable to a road heave early schedule any other year. We are going to have at most 500 people in the stands at each location? Generally the Jazz have played 8 more road games than home games by the end of December and played very few Eastern teams. This year we play every Eastern team twice and all of our missing games come from the Western conference.

I'm OK playing difficult games right off of the bat because I think we are ready to go, moreso than other teams that may take a while to mesh.

But yeah, we get off to slow starts because the NBA completely screws us on the early schedule. Every single year. This year it doesn't matter as much and may even be a benefit by this spring after the vaccine rolls out.

This could be the best Quin Snyder team he’s coached, and what’s really cool is it might be even better next year.

I feel like the Jazz are in a position to make a significant trade, something with Mike's expiring contract, plus a guy like Royce, or a couple of young players, plus picks.

We are really a good team...damn, pretty excited about this season.
Firstly having DFavs instead of Bradley or Ed when Rudy needs a break is priceless.
Secondly Mike should be better than last year since he has more Utah basketball experience. He actually is a great player...not trash at all.
And last but not least our depth: finally we have a lot of great and valid options off the bench.
Really looking forward to having a feedback.
Maybe I overrate this team a bit, nevertheless I'm deeply convinced that we can really do an awesome season.

Sent from my M2006C3MG using JazzFanz mobile app

Conference Finals. Hopefully we don't play the Lakers there as I'm not in the mood to see the refs **** us.