What's new

Father and sons night -- Hawks @ Jazz 3/20/2018 7:00 pm MST

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
January 22, 2018:

The Utah Jazz, reaching the depths of despair, receive a 14-point blow out at the hands of the Atlanta Hawks.

atlanta-hawks-logo-pac-man-gam.jpg

Defeated and ashamed, the Jazz regroup and use this to catapult to a 21-2 record from that date, launching them back into the playoff race and fighting for home court. On the heels of this run, discussion has heated up for DPOY, ROY, COY, and maybe, just maybe, EOTY.

There’s certainly some buzz coming our way.

Tyson-as-Buzz-Lightyear.jpg

The Jazz look to extend to a 10-game winning streak with a win against the tanking Hawks.

Wasn’t long ago that the Hawks were the Jazz of the east.

hi-res-c6d2cb016b11ae111235ad27cefaeaff_crop_north.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

[not pictured: Devin Harris, DeShawn Stevenson, and Georgia Gold Chicken]

But the Jazz appeared to have been victorious in the exchange with Atlanta:

CBLOCKQUIN1ON1mov-3064582-1.576x324.jpg

As a small historical tidbit, the Jazz signed Hawks guard Jason Terry to an offer sheet in 2003 that was ultimately matched. Terry, then a high-volume chucker, had a decent (and still active) NBA career when he became a complementary piece.

3237395_display_image.jpg

I’m certain KOC would have never let him wear that number, however. Nor would Sloan allow that headband to grace the floor.

Internal affairs:

David Stockton, with his second game with the Jazz of eligible game time, may have a special visitor in the stands. While exciting for many Jazz fans, this comes with many mixed emotions from others.

Karl Malone and Cheryl Ford:

Karl Malone, long-time Jazz PF and all-time franchise scoring leader, came public years ago with his paternity of his daughter, Cheryl Ford. Though the relationship initially dismissed, their bond started when Ford, then a 17-year-old high school basketball star, was a commit to Louisiana Tech, Malone’s alma mater. As their relationship grew, Ford was drafted third in the 2003 WNBA draft, won the rookie of the year award, and won a WNBA championship her first year with the Detroit Shock. Since then, Malone and Ford have done public promotions together.

nba_g_maloneford_200.jpg

But not all have been as fortunate.

John Stockton in Barcelona:

John Stockton, then member of the 1992 Dream Team, traveled to Barcelona, Spain, to compete for a Gold Medal in the summer Olympics. Stockton, playing limited minutes during the competition, spent his time exploring Barcelona.

Nine months later, young Spanish basketball player Ricky Rubio was born in Barcelona, Spain.

26qr4k.jpg

“Ever since I was little,” Rubio remembers, “I was told of my father in America.”
“I grew up not knowing him, but seeing him on television. I saw the game he played and I saw his passing and court vision and I wanted to be him.” Though not all was easy, recalls Rubio. “The kids at the playground, they would call me Juan Stockton – which was good, it felt good – but it also kind of hurt, you know?” Rubio admits that growing up not knowing his father was a significant challenge for him. With conflicted feelings of love, anger, and resentment, Ricky poured himself into the game, seeking a kind of acceptance from basketball that he wished he’d received from his father. As Ricky’s pain turned to practice, he became the youngest professional basketball player in Europe at the age of 14.

“When I took the job here in Minnesota and heard Ricky’s story,” recalls Timberwolves GM Scott Layden, “I just knew I needed to get them together – as I myself had drafted Stockton initially – and pulled my strings to ensure he landed in Utah.” Though smiles beam from Layden’s face, rumors abound within the Minnesota franchise about Layden’s ulterior motives with Rubio’s story – that he allegedly used a type of time-travel device to go back and sell Ricky’s story to Naughty By Nature, a popular 90’s rap group, to become their 1991 hit “Ghetto Bastard.”

When news surfaced that David Stockton, son of John Stockton, would be signing a 10-day contract with the Utah Jazz, Rubio again had conflicted feelings. “It’s hard. I’m excited to not only get to know my brother, but to play with him, but it also hurts.” Rubio, whose father has yet to see him play in person, may perhaps be making an appearance to watch David look to earn his first minutes in a Jazz jersey. “I see so many guys – Jae, Larry Nance Jr., Glenn Robinson III, even DJ Strawberry – whose fathers are there for them and see them play, but he will come see me play but he’s not really there for me – at least he hasn’t been yet.”

When asked what his highest hopes for the evening would be, Rubio was quick to respond:

26qq4t.jpg

Will Ricky’s future with the Jazz be solidified within the Stockton family? Tune in Tuesday…

In other news:

The Utah Jazz have announced plans to use their disabled player exception in a unique way: modern technology. NBA commissioner Adam Silver was in Utah this past Saturday to give final approval to a revolutionary new age of NBA basketball. The Jazz unveiled their new direction Monday afternoon when they announced the signing of the Larry H[ologram] Miller.

Confused? Don’t be. “I had taken my youngest son to see Rogue One,” Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey explains “and was impressed to learn that Grand Moff Tarkin [Peter Cushing] had been dead for over 20 years. I was floored.” The ideas began to percolate with Lindsey, as he had grander ideas. “We kept watching Rubio get hit with cheap shots and knew we really needed an enforcer on the floor – that’s when this idea really hit me!”

The Jazz, working with Bonneville Communications, created the first live-action hologram sports figure – Larry Miller:

26qqiq.jpg

“I was sitting in my office and came across a picture of Larry. He was wearing a polo shirt that looked like the city jerseys,” Lindsey exclaims. “I felt like he was speaking to me.” Lindsey goes on to share his experience, “I realized that if Snoop Dogg can rap with a hologram of Tupac at Coachella, why can’t I bring Larry to life on the basketball court?”

delaney_rudd_2.jpg

“Larry can fight – make no doubt about that. I remember the time he went into the stands to lay out two Denver Nuggets fans.”

78339.jpg

“I like to believe that, as a result of Larry’s actions,” Dennis explains, “they **** their pants every time I call and acquiesce so they can GTFO the phone, and agree to whatever bag of popcorn chicken I offer up for future hall-of-famers.”

“Larry was tenacious,” Steve Starks, Utah Jazz President and LHM Protégé, recalls. “Everyone talks about Karl Malone’s elbows. Just wait until people get a taste of Larry’s!”

How will the Hawks hold up against Larry H[ologram] Miller? Will Ricky or David become heir-apparent of the Stockton legacy? Tune in to find out.

Starting Jazz PF Derrick Favors will be out, as he feels it would not be appropriate for him to participate in the humiliation of his home city and community. Jonas Jerebko will oblige him with a career night.

cp-spark-jonas-jarebko-jazz-121517.jpg

Last edited:
We have a lot of reasons to be motivated to pound them. We had our ugliest loss this year vs them to start with. Coach Q's former team. We won't relax like we did last game vs SAC. Last game of home-stand. So all I see is a big win.

We have a lot of reasons to be motivated to pound them. We had our ugliest loss this year vs them to start with. Coach Q's former team. We won't relax like we did last game vs SAC. Last game of home-stand. So all I see is a big win.
I wish you could say we relaxed. Jazz just couldn't hit their shots. Collectively, the team hasn't been shooting the 3 very well (with the exception if Ingles).

The part about Ricky and John is beautiful writing. And so sad.
Larry’s elbow lol. The enforcer lol.

Ghetto Bastard is without question and by far naughty by nature’s best song and one of my all time favorite rap songs period. I miss Treach.

Georgia Gold ftw lol.

The great gamethreads continue.

If only Rubio had been born in Apr/May of 1993 instead of Oct 1990 that would be a heck of a conspiracy theory.

If only Rubio had been born in Apr/May of 1993 instead of Oct 1990 that would be a heck of a conspiracy theory.
When Ricky went to sign his first contract, he was only 11 years old. The Spanish ACB league had a minimum age of 14. His family had an alternate birth certificate made that showed him three years older. This is also why you don't see John's name on the birth certificate.

#birther

Last edited:

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story. Have you learned nothing from the White House? :D

Reactions: MVP
You're goddamn ****in right, fam. Respect.

jarron-collins.png

I had an old NBA game for the playstation 2. When you would play a season as the Jazz, Jarron Collins was always the disgruntled dude, whining about playing time, the direction of the club, etc. . . I was always like "Oh, Hell no, Jarron," and would just bench him more, making him even more disgruntled.

Mainly it was because the pantomime animations of an angry Collins coming in to tell virtual Sloan what was up amused me greatly.

So that lineup with the insane numbers should be starting tonight.

Bigger sample size coming up.

I doubt that they start that lineup (you talkin bout gobert, crowder, jingles, spida, and Rubio right?).
I think they should but I’m betting jerebko starts in favors place. (I hope I’m wrong)

you know who scares me today? taurean prince.

he's avg is 30ppg in the last 4.....hes actually looking damn good. Lookin like damn kawhi leonard in his last this month.