What's new

Flat Earth movement - explain please...

Do you believe the Earth is flat?

• Total voters

MVP

Seriously, I thought it is a joke after Kyrie Irwing posted his thoughts... but now I am seeing more and more people who truly believe Earth is flat. Anytime there is video from space they raise their heads out of nowhere and start attacking it claiming it is fake, fish eye lense, CGI, etc etc. There is Flat Earth conventions, maps, models and meetings for crying out loud. What is wrong with these people??? Why would all governments and scientists in the world would want to lie to regular Joe that Earth is globe shaped? What kind of benefit does it do? Like seriously why would any sane person would believe in such conspiracy theories? They do not believe in gravity, that humans ever went to space, ( actually it is anniversary of Juryj Gagarin flight today btw), that Earth rotates and in numerous other simple scientific facts.

"Flat Earthers believe that the Earth isn't spherical and that all depictions of it as a sphere are all part of a massive NASA conspiracy.
"The leading flat-earther theory holds that Earth is a disc with the Arctic Circle in the center and Antarctica, a 150-foot-tall wall of ice, around the rim. NASA employees, they say, guard this ice wall to prevent people from climbing over and falling off the disc,".
Robbie Davidson, an Edmonton native who is organizing the conference, told Global News that he thinks a lot more people believe in the conspiracy than many realize.

Here you can register for Flat Earth International Conference in Denver this year.

http://fe2018.com/

And one in our own backyard in Canada

http://fe2018.com/canada/

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/...ce-coming-to-edmonton-this-summer_a_23376128/

Where is the money coming from for this nonsense??? Is humanity regressing to it's primitive state for crying out loud?

Last edited:
Where is the money coming from for this nonsense??? Is humanity regressing to it's primitive state for crying out loud?

The money comes from true believers.

Many scriptures (including the Bible) have verses that treat the earth as if it is flat. Thus, if the scriptures are without error, the earth must be flat, and any evidence to the contrary is inspired by non-believers, Satan, etc., in the way that many of these people think. It's coming from the same place anti-evolution rhetoric comes from.

I sure there are also non-religious flat-earthers, though, as some poeple just love a good conspiracy. They keep the world simple, I guess.

Reactions: MVP
They are idiots. I work with a guy that is way into conspiracy theories. He is insane. Like for real.

In the end, who care if these dummies think the earth is flat? Doesn’t hurt anyone.

:D

latest

Flat earthers are straw men that people can point to for whichever political agenda it suits their needs to attack “them stupids people.” They serve a similar function as the Westboro Baptist Church. That is, an organization that’s insignificant, doesn’t really have followers, never actually shows up to where they say they’ll protest, but somehow has a strangle hold on the balls of the media to the point that they’re a household name, but that’s intentional.

Flat earthers are straw men that people can point to for whichever political agenda it suits their needs to attack “them stupids people.” They serve a similar function as the Westboro Baptist Church. That is, an organization that’s insignificant, doesn’t really have followers, never actually shows up to where they say they’ll protest, but somehow has a strangle hold on the balls of the media to the point that they’re a household name, but that’s intentional.

Westboro bring the attention to themselves. It's their raison d'etre. But ya, I understand the sentiment.

That is, an organization that’s insignificant, doesn’t really have followers,

The amount of them posting under any space video on Facebook is insane. I think you are vastly underestimating their numbers.

The amount of them posting under any space video on Facebook is insane. I think you are vastly underestimating their numbers.
Wikipedia says the have 70 members. Do you think the have more than that? It seems like a pretty small church group. It's mostly one family.

We live in the age of conspiracy theories. The Post Truth era. Trust no one. All authority is part of a conspiracy. And belief in the flat Earth is the ultimate conspiracy theory....

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...h-is-the-ultimate-conspiracy-youtube-facebook

"It was Day Two of the first-ever Flat Earth International Conference and I was fried. I had spent the last 48 hours in a hotel ballroom with over 500 flat earthers, listening to hours of lectures from apocalyptic preachers, crank podcast hosts, and self-proclaimed scientists......"

"But the deeper I got into the underground Facebook communities, YouTube channels, and blogs where flat earthers congregate, the more it seemed anything but benign. This is a group of people who have entirely reconstructed their universe out of self-righteousness and spite for authority. It is a worldview where dissent is demonized and pride supersedes fact. The flat earth movement is a look into a post-truth future and a canary in the coal mine of our political discourse. And this conference was the first time the growing community would leave their online forums and come aboveground....."

"As I’d come to find out, the shape of the world is only half the story of flat eartherism. It is also a full assault on authority and its trappings. Resurgence of the idea had traditionally coincided with watershed moments in history beginning with the Protestant reformation, then the Industrial Revolution, and seemingly again now....."

Reactions: MVP
If you all want to fret over the magnified existence of a few idiots, and others joining the fold primarily because they like antagonism, then by all means, have at it. If you likewise want to believe that the “post-truth era” and the “age of misinformation” is a new phenomenon that the world has never yet seen until it’s reared its head within the past decade, well, have at that, as well.

finishing_coffee_big_lebowski.gif

They are idiots. I work with a guy that is way into conspiracy theories. He is insane. Like for real.

In the end, who care if these dummies think the earth is flat? Doesn’t hurt anyone.

Not to name names but does this guy's name start with a D?

Yes. Some of the stuff he says is like really really crazy.
Yeah, when I was in processing a couple Sunday's ago he started telling me stuff. Some of the other guys came back into the control room and you could tell they were like "ahh ****, not this ****."