What's new

Gobert vs Whiteside

jakec11

Considering I have yet to really watch Whiteside, can someone more in the know explain the comparison to Rudy? I know the basic stats seem to fall in Whiteside's favor, but advanced stats lean Rudy's way and Rudy is. Are they comparable?

I was looking it misc stats for Gobert earlier today and noticed that Whiteside emerged (started seeing significantly more mins) about the same time as Gobert. IMHO based on record, Whiteside has not been able to help his team win like Gobert has.

I think Quinn probably gets a lot of credit for that too, but it's really hard to quantify for a coach.

Miami's statisticians seem to be much more liberal with their interpretation of blocks. And Utah's are annoyingly stingy.
I watched a Miami game because one of my suggestions was to perhaps trade back and draft Whiteside, so I'm curious to see how he's developed. Hassan seemed to get credit for a block every time he touched the ball when a player turned toward the basket and brought the ball up over his shoulder. Every game I watch the Jazz, I usually count 2 or 3 times Rudy gets a tip or deflection that ISN'T counted as a block - and I don't know why.

Something you can't measure by stats and that is character which limits any NBA star who doesn't have it. Gobert has it. Whiteside doesn't...

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25100363/video-hassan-whiteside-blindsides-kelly-olynyk-with-flagrant-foul

I had not seen this yet, just heard that Dwayne Wade called him out for it. I can't think of any other time where I have seen a move that cheap on an NBA court. Not an elbow to the back of some guys head unexpectedly. That is just horrible. Hopefully he can figure his **** out, because he could just be out of the league if that crap continues.

Or they both have it and one just has trouble controlling it.

Do you mean neither have character, but one doesn't show it? Usually character has a positive connotation, so it would not need to be controlled.

I had not seen this yet, just heard that Dwayne Wade called him out for it. I can't think of any other time where I have seen a move that cheap on an NBA court. Not an elbow to the back of some guys head unexpectedly. That is just horrible. Hopefully he can figure his **** out, because he could just be out of the league if that crap continues.

Somehow I missed the word character and just saw "it". Thought we were just talking about energy and emotion.

Whiteside's immaturity has been his knock since he was drafted, and is why he slipped so far when starting in the lottery conversation.

He still may get it together, but when I hear **** like him wearing his own jersey around town and pissing off his teammates it's a huge red flag thats been up the pole since he entered the league.

Pretty sure I read that whiteside's combine numbers were lower than they should have been because he showed up in flip flops. The kid is super talented, but is also very immature still. Thought him playing in Lebanon would make him more mature with the martial law or something they had there