What's new

Government to shut down at Midnight

The funny thing is that Paul Ryan could easily pass the CR to fund the government without “boarder” wall funding and keep the government open.

At times Trump is given way too much of the blame. Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell have completely failed their constitutional duties and will go down as the worst speaker of the house and senate majority leaders in history.

Btw, this is the third government shutdown in two years while one party has controlled all three levers or government. Hmmm

Last edited:
Apparently trump and the repubs had all but given up on building the wall until Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh put them on blast over the last 48 hrs. Has this country ever seen a more influential media on political leaders? Fox News controls the GOP in the exact way repubs claim the MSM controls the democrats. It’s interesting to see how republicans project their own improprieties.

Who doesn't want to work for nothing over Christmas? I for one would be calling in sick or just not showing up. Disgraceful antics from a man who pretends to be a man of the people.

Who doesn't want to work for nothing over Christmas? I for one would be calling in sick or just not showing up. Disgraceful antics from a man who pretends to be a man of the people.

These shutdowns are a joke. The government still has many people working (and getting paid). Those off work always get paid after the gov't get funded (essentially paid vacation for gov't employees).

These shutdowns are a joke. The government still has many people working (and getting paid). Those off work always get paid after the gov't get funded (essentially paid vacation for gov't employees).

But why are we even having a shut down in the first place? Donald said that Mexico was going to pay for the wall. Right? Why should we pay billions for a campaign promise completely based on a lie?

Why should democrats be told to provide billions in funding when Donald said Mexico was going to pay for it? What incentive do democrats have to work with him when he rejected their offer earlier this year (remember his ******** countries attack?)? We take over the house in a little over a week. Why shouldn’t we just pass a clean CR with our house? The senate already passed one, 100-0. We can override the president’s veto. So imo, Trump’s attacks right now mean nothing. Both the House and Senate will soon vote to fund the government. And when Donald bitches about not having wall funding, we’ll just override his veto. That way he can save face and yell on Fox News and twitter on how he fought but couldn’t get it through. And the country moves on.

Separate from his lie, has any actual research been done to study the effects of the wall? I know Donald keeps saying it’ll keep people out. But will it? Do Central Americans not yet have the technology of ladders and shovels? What to do about the deep canyons and acres of private land we’ll have to deal with?

Such an expensive thing should have some serious studies conducted prior to ensure we aren’t just building some gigantic monument to feed the ego of a narcissist and validate the bigotry of his followers, right?

Last edited:

Its not a joke if you were planning on getting paid to I dunno pay for your Christmas, or rent or stuff. A lot of people live pay to pay, this is frankly an appalling thing to do to them. This week for example my pay day falls on Tuesday, its unlikely that I will get paid until Thursday of Friday at the earliest, for me its not a hardship but I would imagine for a number of staff at my work, especially the cleaners and kitchen staff who are fairly low paid it could be.

Its not a joke if you were planning on getting paid to I dunno pay for your Christmas, or rent or stuff. A lot of people live pay to pay, this is frankly an appalling thing to do to them. This week for example my pay day falls on Tuesday, its unlikely that I will get paid until Thursday of Friday at the earliest, for me its not a hardship but I would imagine for a number of staff at my work, especially the cleaners and kitchen staff who are fairly low paid it could be.

You’re right. If it was a joke then trump wouldn’t be trying to use the suffering it causes as a weapon against democrats to fund his “boarder” wall that he promised Mexico would pay for.

One more thing to point out is the damage this does to not only American democracy but western democracy. One of the greatest weapons Putin has is convincing others of the ineptitude of democracy. When we have one political party, compromised as it currently is, shutting down the government every few months, it only lends credence to our enemies that democracy doesn’t work. Trump and the GOP only do the world’s dictators favors when they shut down the government over stupid campaign promises.

Clearly, there aren’t enough votes for this legislation. Time for Trump to #moveon

I went through two shutdowns. Essentially a week+ of extra paid vacation. No one was complaining. It was a few years back, but as I recall, it didn't even effect the date I got paid.

They aren’t a joke to hundred of thousands of families. There are “essential” positions and agencies. Ones that do not shut down and are required to work. Yes, they have always gotten paid. but it’s not a guarantee or even required. Special legislation has to be passed each time. But it’s mandatory you show up, with a very limited operational capacity. If you has scheduled leave it’s cancelled and any no shows can be used as justification to fire you. A few years ago we shut down for 21 days. Had to contact creditors and loan holders. Get bitched at by angry public daily and had to worry about how long it would last and how long I would be able to feed my kids.

Then the public. Many lose out on jobs, housing, state benefits...all because they cannot secure the documents and proofs they need to qualify. Proofs and documents provided by a government agency. Like a social Security card.

So yeah, in DC it’s a joke. For millions of other Americans it is an EXTREMELY harsh reality.

Yeah this post certainly didn’t age well. The most ignorant among us have the biggest mouths I’ve found.

I don’t think you understand the wide ranging effects of these government shutdowns. They most certainly aren’t jokes to millions of Americans right now. Personally, I’d like to see even more pressure put on Donald by the media and democrats. Trump wanted the mantle, right?

leaZYiM.jpg

Be afraid! Be very afraid!