What's new

Hot take on Joe Ingles

NAOS

Nobody in the entire league is throwing more difficult passes, more consistently, than Ingles. Chief among them is the soft vertical lob pass to the big who slips the screen and rolls. He’s also an artist of the skip pass. He’s superb in the classic PnR schemes and counters.

Throwing difficult/rare passes is important to any offense. From the perspective of the defense, it means there are several more contingencies than there would be otherwise. I mean, how else is Joe getting to the cup on such a regular basis? The defense is screwed to the floorboards waiting for one of his plethora of options.

We have a guard or two who throw one or two passes, and that’s about it. I won’t name names. The differential impact on our offense is obvious.

When it comes to opening up the contingencies of our offense, Joe is the MVP.

Jokic immediately came to mind after your first sentence.

Also worth pointing out that I've seen both Rubio and Exum pull out the old man Ingles pass fake layup at some point in a PnR but they don't do it consistently like Ingles does.

But I think benching Ingles early in the 1st so he gets to playmake more with the bench unit might be Quin's greatest adjustment he's made this season because of the reasons you mentioned. He's the only guy who can get the complex sets to work with the bench squad.

@NAOS You know I love you but this take is not nearly hot enough for the GOAT Joe Ingles. This is lukewarm at best. Put this take in the microwave for 30-40 minutes and then it will be almost hot enough.

Seriously though Joe is a wizard. Jokic makes more eye popping passes. I'm not smart enough to know who is best, but I can definitively say that Joe is the best... at everything.

I've never wanted to or been capable of writing poetry, but my memoirs consist of 98% Joe Ingles limericks.

Jokic is amazing. His passes are flashier. Flashier doesn’t equal harder.

Did Jayson Williams throw more difficult passes than Stockton? No.

Ingles also has a really high TO rate as PnR ballhandler (or at least towards the first half of the season). Zach Lowe wrote about the exact pass OP described.

I do think keeping the defense on their toes with these difficult passes is absolutely worth it, but take it with a grain of salt, because there are drawbacks as well

Nobody in the entire league is throwing more difficult passes, more consistently, than Ingles. Chief among them is the soft vertical lob pass to the big who slips the screen and rolls. He’s also an artist of the skip pass. He’s superb in the classic PnR schemes and counters.

Throwing difficult/rare passes is important to any offense. From the perspective of the defense, it means there are several more contingencies than there would be otherwise. I mean, how else is Joe getting to the cup on such a regular basis? The defense is screwed to the floorboards waiting for one of his plethora of options.

We have a guard or two who throw one or two passes, and that’s about it. I won’t name names. The differential impact on our offense is obvious.

When it comes to opening up the contingencies of our offense, Joe is the MVP.
He’s found the matrix

Can you beleive the same dude that Joe was his first year here is the guy doing those fake out layups 5 times a night and kissing dudes goodbye after draining a 3 in their face?

The development has been unbelievable, especially at his age. There were times that first year that he didn't even look like an NBA player.

Can you beleive the same dude that Joe was his first year here is the guy doing those fake out layups 5 times a night and kissing dudes goodbye after draining a 3 in their face?
I’m proud to say i liked him from day one. Often found myself needing to defend him from idiots saying he wasn’t an nba player. I still remember the improvement com the first half to the second half of his of his first season.
Mild Take - Hayward held him back

That’s the most idiotic thing I’ve ever heard, god!! What a whining little idiot you are. How in the sam hell did Hayward manage to do that? This should be good.

Yahoo Sports has a petition on change.org to get Joe into the skills challenge!

I'm sure he has basically no interest in this though, and would prefer the week off lol
Put him in the dunk contest too. I have seen him dunk

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app