What's new

How about this one? Will boys be boys?

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/boy...accused-sending-sexist-message-114039559.html

Australian sleepwear brand Peter Alexander has pulled a “boys will be boys” children’s sweatshirt from its stores following backlash from parents saying the slogan had sexist connotations.

Melbourne mother Bridie Harris noticed the boys’ gray pajama top while out shopping last week and took to social media to complain.
She said the slogan promoted a culture that allows men “to get away with stuff” because of their gender.

“It gives them an excuse for inappropriate behavior,” Harris said in an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper. “If a girl hurts someone or does something, you never hear someone that says girls will be girls.

“As kids, I get it’s little tiny things, like rough play, but it sets [them] up for a culture where they can get way with anything. I thought it was a long-resolved discussion.”
However, many accused Harris of being overly sensitive and did not see a problem with the top.

“Omg why get rid of it!” one commenter wrote. “There is nothing wrong with a old saying. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.”

Another mother said she was disappointed she could not buy the top for her boys.

“I would like to buy the ‘boys will be boys’ PJs,” she wrote. “I have two boys and would like them to know that’s it’s OK to be boys.”

“The pajamas don’t say, ‘I’m a boy, I’ll go punch another boy or harass someone and that is okay because I am a boy,’” read another comment.

Over the top PC craziness or monumentally important cause for social justice?

Telling to me how far this is going is the fact that the complaint was almost immediately complied with. No dissenting voices heard. The faceless masses have spoken and must be obeyed or livelihoods will be destroyed. Seems to be the currently prevailing current.

Thoughts?

@Chik-fil-a:

Son whispers: that guy over there is rude.
Me: why?
Son: He kicked me out of the play area.

So I go check the rules. Upon leaving I pass the guy.

Guy: I had to play adult.
Me: (Rolls eyes) how cute.
Guy: well he came in with his (extremely tiny 1 shot nerf gun that doesn't even work) and looked scary.
Me: Should we call 911? Son, go play.

Dickwad left.

-----------

My co-worker's daughter was assigned to write a paper on another culture so she interviewed a classmate. He complained that she culturally appropriated his culture and she had to write an apology note. What????

**** these people. They'll keep creating more Trumps until we start institutionalizing their patsy asses for their delusional mental disorders.

Here’s one for you...

So one of my best friend’s friend (who is a truly great dude) had an awful situation recently.

His son, 8 years old, saw his buddy, an Indian kid, eating pizza at school with vegetables on it, and simply said that was weird. The Indian’s parents found out and complained. Said the white kid was bullying. Got lawyers. Suing. I kid you not.

Last edited:
oh man, so much value added in this thread

I kid you not (kid as in joke, child or baby goat, take your pick)

Seriously, though, as another sign of things perhaps going too far...
(I may have already posted this true anecdote somewhere in another thread)

A good friend whose son lives in Berkeley (CA) shared a conversation he'd had with co-workers where one mentioned something "cute" his 2-year old DAUGHTER did and another co-worker corrected him and told him it is incorrect for him to refer to his child as his "daughter" because she has not yet chosen her gender identity - - he should only use the term "my child" or some other non-gender specific term until such time as the child decides its gender identity.

so there you have it

Here’s one for you...

So one of my best friend’s friend (who is a truly great dude) had an awful situation recently.

His son, 8 years old, saw his buddy, an Indian kid, eating pizza at school with vegetables on it, and simply said that was weird. The Indian’s parents found out and complained. Said the white kid was bullying. Got lawyers. Suing. I kid you not.

That kids a monster put him up against a wall.

What's next? Banning shirts that say, Girls Just Want to Have Fun?

Well fun is the real problem, it must be stopped at all costs.

A good friend whose son lives in Berkeley (CA) shared a conversation he'd had with co-workers where one mentioned something "cute" his 2-year old DAUGHTER did and another co-worker corrected him and told him it is incorrect for him to refer to his child as his "daughter" because she has not yet chosen her gender identity - - he should only use the term "my child" or some other non-gender specific term until such time as the child decides its gender identity.

so there you have it

Liquidate them all.

(sorry i've been reading about Stalin's purges it may be having an influence on me.)

Here’s one for you...

Are they suing the school for their lack of action against the “bullying” or suing the family for their kid’s bullying?

Either way, I think the case will be thrown out of court (if it even gets that far) and be some good water cooler talk for 3 mins among court workers.

There’s always some nutjobs out there. But it is somewhat indicative of where we are as a society. We tend to get offended over any perceived slight.

Neither. Valid truth on a fairly typical and minor item. Boycotts of merchandise is capitalism in action. Why do you hate capitalism?

No, that isn’t capitalism.

The sweatshirt got removed because of a complaint.

Capitalism would it being removed because it didn’t sell, because people didn’t like the message.

There’s a large difference between the two.

No, that isn’t capitalism.

The sweatshirt got removed because of a complaint.

Capitalism would it being removed because it didn’t sell, because people didn’t like the message.

There’s a large difference between the two.

Sorry, but unless you think capitalism is opposed to free speech and protests, removing merchandise because you are worried about consumer backlash, or because you agree with a stated principle, is capitalism at it's finest. Just because you don't like doesn't make it untrue.

Sorry, but unless you think capitalism is opposed to free speech and protests, removing merchandise because you are worried about consumer backlash, or because you agree with a stated principle, is capitalism at it's finest. Just because you don't like doesn't make it untrue.
Better observation:

Log observes problem in capitalist society that he doesn’t like. OB jokes, “you mustn’t like capitalism, then,” revealing a kind of bias that presumes dislike of something is synonymous with bureaucratic intervention to stop it. It apparently does not register that one can disagree with capitalistic actions without calling for governmental regulation against it, which would be the only application wherein someone would expose their hypocritical views toward capitalism.

Ergo, I believe in free speech. I think some of the things my neighbor says is crass and offensive, and I think it would be wise for him to not say them or find a more appropriate way to communicate. Does that make me against free speech, and would me not liking such speech always be accompanied by desiring a third party prohibit his speech?

Tl;dr is it possible to prefer capitalism while simultaneously not liking decisions that can result from it? Is it possible to support free speech without liking all speech that comes as a result?

Last edited:
Are they suing the school for their lack of action against the “bullying” or suing the family for their kid’s bullying?

Either way, I think the case will be thrown out of court (if it even gets that far) and be some good water cooler talk for 3 mins among court workers.

There’s always some nutjobs out there. But it is somewhat indicative of where we are as a society. We tend to get offended over any perceived slight.
And is that the whole story? I mean it's easy to summarize it in a way to make it as ridiculous as possible, but is it possible things much more substantial than saying "weird pizza" happened?

so there you have it

The father should’ve turned to the douchebag and said, “You’re a ****ing idiot.” And walked away.

How about this one?

I don't think it's wrong.. but I mean, the person that set up the scene... didn't they think it odd having 1 guy and 5 girls surrounding him?

So evidently I’m lying.
No, but have you spoken to the parents who are suing? I'm not saying you are misrepresenting the situation, but that the situation might be generally misrepresented to school faculty. I'm not even asserting that it was willfully misrepresented.

But the McDonald's hot coffee case is a really good example. It's generally told that some dumb woman spilled hot coffee on her lap and decided to sue for 1 million dollars. And then some dumb judge and jury gave it to her. Coffee is hot, duh! The facts of that case are much more complicated than that.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/boy...accused-sending-sexist-message-114039559.html

Over the top PC craziness or monumentally important cause for social justice?

Telling to me how far this is going is the fact that the complaint was almost immediately complied with. No dissenting voices heard. The faceless masses have spoken and must be obeyed or livelihoods will be destroyed. Seems to be the currently prevailing current.

Thoughts?
Over the top PC craziness