What's new

Hypothetically, if we brought back Stockton and Malone...

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
This is meant semi-serious (not about bringing them back, but about whether they could compete at a minimal level). If we used them to round out our roster, does it give us any depth? Stockton's old, would get burned on the defensive end, would be pretty slow in transition, but could still hit an open shot, his free throws, and could distribute the ball -- three things our current backups cannot do. Malone would also be slow, get lost in transition, and get beat by quicker players, but he could pass, hit his free throws, and hit open shots.

Seriously, if these guys played 8-10 minutes each, would it really be that much worse than Gaines and Elson (this is not an attack on Jazz FO)?

And maybe we can bring Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as our center!

Stockton - No.

Malone - Yes.

Stockton's position depends more on quickness, which he likely won't have against the players today. Malone's, more on strength, which he's still got, prolly more than many players today.

At the end of Malone's career he was one of the faster PF on the court, and I bet he still is faster than many current players. And i bet he is as strong as ever. Plus he is experienced. For ten minutes a game I bet he could contribute, but it would hurt his image getting less minutes than Fess was getting so he wouldn't do it.

For ten minutes a game I bet he could contribute, but it would hurt his image getting less minutes than Fess was getting so he wouldn't do it.

Which is why it's hypothetical. More of a "who would win a two-on-two: Stockton and Malone or Gaines and Elson?"

And maybe we can bring Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as our center!

We need a shot-blocking big. And the Jazz used to have one of the best. Bring back the Mountain Man, Mark Eaton.

As for Malone, I think he'd probably just try to hit on Yeliz and Masha, like he tried to do with Vanessa Bryant.
Seriously, I think there's scuh a fine line between being one of the best and then not being able to even compete. Look at MJ. When he took off 1 1/2 years to play baseball, he was still in his prime and was able to return to the top of his game. But when he retired and then came back to play with the Wizards, he was pretty average. I don't think very many guys in their 40's could step back into the league after taking 5-6 years off and have much of an impact.

..you might want to see them back - but I'm sure they're not interested. Have you considered that??

How many 48 year olds do you see playing professional basketball, baseball or football today?? It's too risky at that age.. all sorts of things could go wrong..

*sigh* hope you're not even semi-serious...

Knowing how crazy they both were about staying in shape and the fact that Stockton still plays down at Gonzaga from time to time, I'd give it a try. No way either one of them actually agrees but I think they could hold up very well in a backup 10-15 minute role.

..you might want to see them back - but I'm sure they're not interested. Have you considered that??

How many 48 year olds do you see playing professional basketball, baseball or football today?? It's too risky at that age.. all sorts of things could go wrong..

*sigh* hope you're not even semi-serious...

Did you even read my post?

I dont want to see these legends compete against today's NBA players, but I do really want them to see play again.
Maybe a game for NBA Legends at this year's All Star Weekend?
Would love to see Stockton and Malone against Jordan, Magic, and Hakeem etc.

If the NBA doesn't do it we should do a Jazz one.
Stock, Malone, Eaton, Big T, Golden Griff, Horny, etc.
Would be a lot of fun.

I'm not sure why some of you are roughing up the OP. I'd never do such a thing. Anyway, my point is he was just speaking outloud. No big deal. And do I think they'd be upgrades? Yes, but Malone doesn't have the height we need vs. the Lakers.

I have very little doubt that current Malone >> Fes, for example. (And I'm sort of a Fes fan.)

Current Stockton? I doubt he's got the needed mobility to play guard in the NBA.

I dont want to see these legends compete against today's NBA players, but I do really want them to see play again.
Maybe a game for NBA Legends at this year's All Star Weekend?
Would love to see Stockton and Malone against Jordan, Magic, and Hakeem etc.

If the NBA doesn't do it we should do a Jazz one.
Stock, Malone, Eaton, Big T, Golden Griff, Horny, etc.
Would be a lot of fun.

They used to have legends games at All-Star weekends, but to many guys got hurt shockingly :) I think the rookie vs Sophomore game replaced it. The defense in that game is amazing. Malone could still whip most guys out there probably.

Okay, I'll take the bait. Both of them would struggle. If you remember, Stockton's last few years he didn't play much defense and got lit up by guys like Marbury. Paul, Wall, Rose, and any quick point guard would blow by him. At this point, on defense Stockton would be a huge liability. On offense, I'm sure he would get the offense set up, would make some nice passes, but in the open court he may have a lot of trouble with quicker guards and I think it would be painful to watch.

Malone would get some rebounds, could shoot his 15-18 foot jumper but would get nothing inside. He would elbow a few people and against the Lakers, maybe he could get into a fight with Artest, but I think that would be the biggest contribution he would make.

I'm the biggest Stockton and Malone fan there is on the board, I watched them their entire careers and loved their games. The point is that basketball is a game where success is predicated on foot speed, jumping ability, quickness, and shooting accuracy. I'm sure they have the shooting ability, but the other things left them about 10 years ago.....