What's new

If Gobert drops another ball...

I notice Favors is checking in earlier , plays agains the starting centre , then Rudy checks back in before the end of the quarter to go up against the 2nd stringer ? Is this by design or to get his confidence up ?

It’s why hand pads is high on draft priorities.. it can’t be taught.

Sorry for mangling that reference, but it had to be said.

Can basketball players wear gloves like wide receivers?
Maybe not cause not a single one does

Can basketball players wear gloves like wide receivers?
Maybe not cause not a single one does
That's a good question. I doubt many players would want to since bball players have to do more than just catch.

Good question though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I don’t know that you can improve all that much with catching the ball. If he had great hands it would help a lot. I think we should put him in the dunkers spot a bit more to help space the floor and get away from being as heavy with pick and roll. That is a much easier pass to catch. The pick and roll in traffic with guys coming in on your legs is tougher sometimes. Sometimes you don’t know if they are rotating behind you and you might alligator arm it.
The legs part is where i think the bigger improvement the Gobert needs to come, his free throws, that been only good enough to avoid some hacking strategy that's been gone since rule changes to prevent it.

The fact that he's actually worse shooting at the line than finishing the rolls/lobs we run for him makes it logical to guard him without bother to making hard fouling contact. People on NFL should take less body contact before getting the rock than Rudy.

If people are this upset about his hands and inability to create anything on offense, just think how bad it will get when his defense starts to regress. For all of our sakes, I hope we are years away from that happening.

I notice Favors is checking in earlier , plays agains the starting centre , then Rudy checks back in before the end of the quarter to go up against the 2nd stringer ? Is this by design or to get his confidence up ?

It's been like that almost every game this season (even the preseason), think it is Quin trying something new. My first thought was so Gobert stays "fresher" playing in 5-7min bursts and can provide more flexibility if he so needs it with substitutions and matchups but as others have said it also gets him some minutes against the backups as well.

11 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Gobert misses an open alleyopp from mitchell. H'tlanta gets the ball, runs down, hits a 3 with no defensive anchor anywhere in sit. 5 point play.

The confidence swings. They go on an 15 - 2 run. Timeout had to be called to slow it. Matchups matter, but so does momentum. CATCH THE BALL!!!

Just saying. If gobert catches and finishes the easy ones, the game would be easier for us.

And we won by 20-plus (should be 30-plus, but garbage time weren't as good)

He'll get through the offense slump, already got his points back, needs to friggin make those ft and finish better (and play less off frustation, bad decision making won't get us sh*t). Mitchell seems to have found his groove, O'Neal been on a high, even Bogey may be slowly figuring things out

As a wise man once said, we'll be fine

Against a 5 - 7 team. Will it against the Lakers?

Arguing that throwing away 5 possessions a game to butter fingers is not a big deal doesnt make sense to me.

https://giphy.com/search/butter-fingers
Is our offense better or worse when gobert is on the court? Is our defense better or worse when he is on the court? Is his plus minus good or bad?
These are the things that matter. The rest is just noise. Does gobert have flaws? Sure. Are there any jazz players who don't? Nope.

Donovan misses more than 5 shots per game. Those are 5 possessions thrown away. We shouldn't let him shoot anymore.

Is our offense better or worse when gobert is on the court? Is our defense better or worse when he is on the court? Is his plus minus good or bad?
These are the things that matter. The rest is just noise. Does gobert have flaws? Sure. Are there any jazz players who don't? Nope.

Donovan misses more than 5 shots per game. Those are 5 possessions thrown away. We shouldn't let him shoot anymore.

You need to know your stats. Niang is all that matters.

It’s really embarrassing how little Gobert’s game has developed on the offensive end after seven years plus. I often wonder what he spends all his time doing at practice. Cuz it certainly ain’t post move footwork, or hook shots, or catching in traffic, or even free throw shooting. We already knew he couldn’t score over PJ Tucker at 4 ft...

I don’t think that’s worthy of a $200+ million contract no matter how good he is at paint protection. We all know drop coverage gets smoked by long 3’s in the playoffs... and on the other end when the capable teams switch everything and deny our hand-off and pick-and-roll games, our offense will sputter to a standstill, and they’ll ram it down our throats in transition. As we’ve already witnessed this year.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Against the Nuggets Gobert came ready to play. He cleaned up his trash touches and brought toughness and mistake free basketball. It was critical for the win IMHO.

2021-01-18 11_06_02-Window.jpg
Jazz lineups since the start of the season (>30min) :
1 Conley-Clarkson-Oni-Niang-Gobert : +45.5
2 Conley-Mitchell-Ingles-O'Neale-Gobert : +18.7
3 Mitchell-Clarkson-O'Neale-Bogdanovic-Favors: +14.6
4 Conley-Clarkson-Ingles-Niang-Gobert: +9.5
5 Conley-Mitchell-O'Neale-Bogdanovic-Gobert:+6.3
6 Mitchell-Ingles-O'Neale-Bogdanovic-Favors:-13.9

Last edited: