What's new

I'm going to buy a new xbox Saturday unless...

You convince me a PS3 would be a better choice. My last 360 red ringed months ago and instead of getting it fixed I'm just going to buy a new one. I'm open to any suggestions regarding the PS3 etc. Thanks...

Well, I do own both, so I suppose I should throw in my two cents worth.

First of all, if you already have a ton of games for your 360, it seems a little silly to not play them, or sell them off for a fraction of what they're worth. For that alone I'd probably just get a new 360 in your situation. Graphics-wise, there's very little difference, and so many games are going multi-system anyway.

Although I will say that the PS3 has at least caught up on the exclusive games war, if not surpassed the 360. Only games I care about that are XBox exclusives are Halo, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 4, and Tales of Vesperia. PS3 has Demon's Souls (the reason I bought a PS3 in the first place), Uncharted, inFamous, Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big Planet, Valkyria Chronicles, and Disgaea 3. Of course, there are plenty more exclusives on either side, but those are just the ones I own and care about, and right now the PS3 is winning.

Also, the PS3 hardware is more reliable. Always has been. And with the new slim models, although they haven't really been around long enough to assign them an average lifespan, they run cooler and quieter, so I'm thinking they might last even longer than the older models. We'll see. Of course, the XBox 360 has that ridiculously awesome 3-year warranty because Microsoft knows they foisted phony hardware on us. AND there's the fact that when the 360 fails, your data is generally safe... you just detach the top and buy another machine. With the PS3, the HD is not detachable, and there's decent odds that when it does die, your data goes too. Not cool. Just be sure to keep backups, the PS3 does have a utility for that.

There's also the fact that the PS3 can just *do* a lot more. First and foremost is obviously that it's a Blu-Ray player. Plus you can easily network with your PC, steam movies, customize your background, organize pictures, etc.

I also like that the PS3's online play is free. It's not like Microsoft charges that much... you can usually find a deal for like $40 a year for LIVE, but I just have a somewhat religious aversion to paying ongoing fees for something like that. It would make me feel like I have to make use of it as long as I'm paying for it, and the last thing I need is to feel pressure to play my video games. I goof off enough as it is.

In any case, if you were starting out from nothing, I'd go with the PS3 over the 360. But if you've got a bunch of games and accessories for one and not the other, you may as well stick with what you have, unless there's some games for the other system that you've REALLY been eyeing...

^Very informative and sound advice. Add God of War to the exclusives of the PS3 as well.

I've had both and have liked both. Unless you have a bunch of games for the 360 you'd still like to play or are one of those Halo people, go with the PS3. It is a much more quality piece of hardware, has Blu-Ray, more customization & control.

I own a PS3 and have had zero complaints. Slim 250GB. Internet browser, Blu Ray, awesome games, Playstation Move coming out, 3D firmware this summer, Netflix(just like Xbox).

Buy both and see which lasts longer lol.

I own both and I wouldn't give my 360 away for nothing. I use the PS3 mainly for Blu Rays and to store ripped movies (320 gigabytes of pure awesomeness.) It seems like more people are on XBox live than PS3 live or whatever it's called. Get the 360.

BTW, if you're looking for a cool game on the 360, check out Just Cause 2. It's probably the biggest open world game I've ever played. The story line and acting isn't as good as Red Dead Redemption, but the game play and world environment are sick. Also, I think Borderlands is only for the 360, that game is pretty fun as well.

@AtheistPreacher - Will you clarify what you mean when you say the PS3 hard drive is not detachable? The physical drive itself could not be easier to remove. If you're referring to the data only, and not the drive itself, then I'm wondering if you have any more information on that. I would assume you could just take a drive from one and place it in another, as long as the hardware revision numbers are close enough so as to not cause any driver conflicts.

Thanks for the imput everyone, I'm actually leaning toward the PS3, but only cause my buddy thinks I can get my old xbox fixed for free. Hopefully he's right. One last question...does the PS3 come with the HDMI or do you have to buy it separate like a printer/USB type thing. (which is quite ridiculous if you ask me)

Thanks in advance.

@AtheistPreacher - Will you clarify what you mean when you say the PS3 hard drive is not detachable? The physical drive itself could not be easier to remove. If you're referring to the data only, and not the drive itself, then I'm wondering if you have any more information on that. I would assume you could just take a drive from one and place it in another, as long as the hardware revision numbers are close enough so as to not cause any driver conflicts.
I got my PS3 on Black Friday this last year, so I really haven't had it that long, certainly not long enough to fail on me. But I know that when my brother's PS3 got the yellow light of death, Sony basically told him that there was no way to recover his data. I guess the data just gets tied up with the hardware failures more easily on the PS3. From the research he did online, he was far from an exception on losing data this way. That's about all I know about it.

But still, as long as you back up your data every once in a while, this really shouldn't be too much of a problem. The PS3 is a much more reliable machine anyway.

Thanks for the imput everyone, I'm actually leaning toward the PS3, but only cause my buddy thinks I can get my old xbox fixed for free. Hopefully he's right. One last question...does the PS3 come with the HDMI or do you have to buy it separate like a printer/USB type thing. (which is quite ridiculous if you ask me)

Thanks in advance.
No, the cheap ******** do not provide an HDMI cable. On the other hand, you can get one on Amazon for $2.30:

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-6-foot-cable/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275713410&sr=8-1

I bought this same cable. Works fine.

Yeah, Microsoft's warranty is ridiculously awesome. They did that retroactive warranty where not only do they provide free replacement for Red Ring of Death failures for three years, they refunded money to everyone who had gotten a repair before they implemented it. It was a costly but worthwhile PR move... unofficial numbers said that something crazy like 1/3 of X-Boxs RROD'd within a year. My own X-Box has failed three times. But to Microsoft's credit, they keep fixing it for me. I wouldn't be surprised if yours was covered.

If you do a get a PS3, check out some of the games I mentioned, particularly Demon's Souls. There's nothing else like that one out there (it also won Game of the Year for 2009 at Gamespot, as a serious darkhorse over Uncharted 2). Link to video review:

https://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/demonssoul/video/6232014/demons-souls-video-review?tag=summary;watch-review

This game is the reason I bought a PS3, I'm a huge From Software fan. Very underrated developer.