What's new

Is it time to think about a starting lineup change?

Should the Jazz change up their starting lineup?

• Yes

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • No, my name is Jerry Sloan

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
We needed a lineup change weeks ago. Sloans ego doesnt allow him to do it...because then it shows that he might have made a mistake.

No, Sloan's patience has given the current line up a chance. Given that 2 members of the line up are new, 30 games is a good sample size.

Although, this group has run it's course, and Sloan knows it. We'll see a new line up versus NY.

Last edited:
Brian Smith (@tribjazz/sltrib jazz beat reporter): "Lineup change could hinge on Rockets game"

"Sloan might change lineup after tonight if Jazz continue to struggle."

I'd like to see:

starters:
PG Williams
SG Bell
SF Hayward
PF Kirilenko
C Jefferson

backups:
PG Watson
SG Price
SF Miles
PF Millsap
C Fesenko

finishers:
PG Watson/Williams
SG Williams/Bell
SF Miles
PF Millsap
C Jefferson

Use Elson and Evans as needed

Isn't there another thread still going strong about this topic? Like I said in the previous thread, I would prefer to see Miles replace AK in the starting lineup with Hayward being worked into the rotation off the bench at SG.

"Coach, with these slow starts really becoming habitual, at what point do you start thinking that a change in the starting lineup is needed?"

"I like what we have coming off the bench, that's why I haven't changed. I've thought about it on a number of occasions and discussed it with the coaches about changing some and giving somebody else a chance and having some veteran players come off the bench." - Sloan

https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=907&sid=13860700

I'd like to see:

starters:
PG Williams
SG Bell
SF Hayward
PF Kirilenko
C Jefferson

backups:
PG Watson
SG Price
SF Miles
PF Millsap
C Fesenko

finishers:
PG Watson/Williams
SG Williams/Bell
SF Miles
PF Millsap
C Jefferson

Use Elson and Evans as needed

Where are you putting Okur?

When your coach has no idea what he will get from his bench consistently in any given night, I cannot blame him for sticking with his present lineup. I think benching one of AK or Raja and starting CJ would cause even bigger problems because you would have nobody who can bring a scoring spark off the bench. As coach pointed out, the Jazz might go with a different 4-5 duo against certain teams, if Memo gets back and stays healthy. That's the only change -actually temporary change- we are going to see, I suppose.

Before the Houston game, he mentioned he could make a change in starting five and after the game, he did not ruled out the possibility, which is a good sign IMO. Because clearly there is a problem with the starting 5, which is basically slow starts, slow game pace and recently disappointing defensive effort. Also, the offensive execution of the Jazz in first Qs is just terrible, you see a lot of one-on-ones by Derons with 5-6 seconds to go, ill-timed and so many midrange Js to start the game. One thing Deron said after a practice, I guess yesterday, was "I want to run more". Deron is not happy with the way the team starts the games and his comments might shed light on that disturbing problem.

I posted this elsewhere but here is my idea:

Starters

D Will
Hayward
AK
Jefferson
Memo

Bench

Watson/Price
Bell/CJ/Price
CJ
Millsap/Evans
Elson/Fes

This gives the rookie some burn (doesn't need to be tons of minutes) but he brings an energy that Bell is just lacking to start games, but admittedly with a possible drop-off in defense at the 2/3, although I think Hayward has done a decent job staying in front of his man and he is pretty athletic, he may surprise us. Jefferson gets to go against the other team PF and Memo spreads the floor giving us potentially 3 shooting threats (Memo, D Will, Hayward).

The 6th man can be Sap for Memo to limit Memo's minutes as he recuperates, or Bell or CJ for Hayward. Or Elson for Memo. This gives us a lot of flexibility as to what we bring in, and gives us more of a scoring and defensive punch off our bench.

I would like them to at least try it for a while. Get Memo started early then put him against the opposing teams bench and he shoots lights out. Shift sap back into lineup to end games, along with CJ, so the finishers are:

D Will
CJ
AK
Sap
Jefferson

Or some combo of sap, jefferson, memo depending on matchups.

When your coach has no idea what he will get from his bench consistently in any given night, I cannot blame him for sticking with his present lineup. I think benching one of AK or Raja and starting CJ would cause even bigger problems because you would have nobody who can bring a scoring spark off the bench. As coach pointed out, the Jazz might go with a different 4-5 duo against certain teams, if Memo gets back and stays healthy. That's the only change -actually temporary change- we are going to see, I suppose.

I'm not with you memo. Sloan doesn't know what he's going to get from his starters in the first quarter. Jazz need to put some firepower on the floor from the get go and quit digging holes. They're running screen plays and taking a lot of jump shots early. AK is getting his token looks but hasn't been getting it done. If anything, I'd replace him with Chucker. Unfortunately he's the best bet Jazz have right now for outside screen shooting.

I'd also consider starting Fes, AJ, CJ, Haywadd or Price, and Deron, and running an early play or two for Fesenko. He's been surprisingly good at jumping guys who aren't ready for him. There may be too much focus early in the game for this to work, but it's not much of a gamble to try it for 2-3 minutes for a couple of games. If anything, Physiquo's early defense would help curb the scoring droughts. And, he doesn't make me sneak him mai tai's at halftime as much when he plays early.

I'm not with you memo. Sloan doesn't know what he's going to get from his starters in the first quarter. Jazz need to put some firepower on the floor from the get go and quit digging holes. They're running screen plays and taking a lot of jump shots early. AK is getting his token looks but hasn't been getting it done. If anything, I'd replace him with Chucker. Unfortunately he's the best bet Jazz have right now for outside screen shooting.

I'd also consider starting Fes, AJ, CJ, Haywadd or Price, and Deron, and running an early play or two for Fesenko. He's been surprisingly good at jumping guys who aren't ready for him. There may be too much focus early in the game for this to work, but it's not much of a gamble to try it for 2-3 minutes for a couple of games. If anything, Physiquo's early defense would help curb the scoring droughts. And, he doesn't make me sneak him mai tai's at halftime as much when he plays early.

I think the problem with the starting unit is not firepower or anything related to the talent level of the starters. Coach Sloan knows that when his team starts the game by executing the plays, running hard, setting efficient screens, the Jazz will not settle for so many Js in first quarters and starting center will not have a disgusting %40-42 FG
IMO, it's all about offensive execution. When I rewatch the games, I see AK shooting occasional shots, the team forcing a tough shot with 1-2 seconds for the shot clock to expire.THe Jazz are a new team, OK, and we all have agreed that this team needs some time to come together and start playing real Jazz basketball efficiently. However, I sincerely have not seen any sort of improvement on offense for 2-3 weeks. I think, Jerry is hesitant to do a major change in starting lineup but I think once Memo starts playing consistently, he will have more flexibility. Both the Jazz bench and starting unit is consistently inconsistent. Jazz bench just does not have a high talent level and depth. THey surely have won us lots of games but you cannot count on them. Without CJ? I just cannot imagine how the team would score, man.

THe Jazz are a new team, OK, and we all have agreed that this team needs some time to come together and start playing real Jazz basketball efficiently.

Every time I've written off this argument that they just need more time together I see another Spurs or Mavericks win. Both those teams took a full year plus a full off season to pull together.

Being healthy makes a huge difference as well. Fans never really know who is injured and how bad. Tough players push through the bumps and bruises, but they still have at least a small effect on their games. You can go all out physically with injuries, but you cannot play to your maximum potential. Jazz look like a cold 327 engine at the start of games. Maybe the slow starts are reflecting injuries that need playing time to stretch out.

The issue I have is I think key pieces are too old to take the time needed to come together. Memo and AK will soon need replacements, and then we're back to the same old argument that they're young and haven't had enough playing time together. We've heard it since the end of the S&M era.

Every time I've written off this argument that they just need more time together I see another Spurs or Mavericks win. Both those teams took a full year plus a full off season to pull together.

Being healthy makes a huge difference as well. Fans never really know who is injured and how bad. Tough players push through the bumps and bruises, but they still have at least a small effect on their games. You can go all out physically with injuries, but you cannot play to your maximum potential. Jazz look like a cold 327 engine at the start of games. Maybe the slow starts are reflecting injuries that need playing time to stretch out.

The issue I have is I think key pieces are too old to take the time needed to come together. Memo and AK will soon need replacements, and then we're back to the same old argument that they're young and haven't had enough playing time together. We've heard it since the end of the S&M era.

Yep.