What's new

Is Miami a "big market"?

spycam1

Simple question. Some friends and I are trying to define what a big market really means so we can determine whether the Miami Heat fall under that category.

I would define "big market" as a market which has an unathletic-advantage in attracting big name free agents. This market can offer anything from lucrative sponsorship offers, extensive media coverage, and/or good weather.

So, whereas Miami might not have as much population as other markets, the weather and lifestyle in Miami can be attractive to Free Agents.

To answer the question, yes. I believe Miami's market is attractive to free agents. Also, I would consider Orlando in the same boat - Tim Duncan almost left the Spurs to sign with them.

So, whereas Miami might not have as much population as other markets, the weather and lifestyle in Miami can be attractive to Free Agents.

Isn't tax situation in Florida the most favorable from all NBA? Saving few millions might make a difference for quite a few free agents when chosing teams.

It's not top 10 (According to Neilsen. Currently #16). So I would say it's a medium sized market. I think you have to be top 10 to be a "big" market.

What a load of gob****e the Nielsen rankings of markets are. Miami metropolitan area has 5.5 million people in it. We're talking about the population of Utah, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming combined. According to Nielsen though, the Miami market is only 50% bigger than the SLC. Because, apparently, people in Palm Beach don't watch the Heat. They watch some other professional basketball team in their town. Ugh.

What a load of gob****e the Nielsen rankings of markets are. Miami metropolitan area has 5.5 million people in it. We're talking about the population of Utah, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming combined. According to Nielsen though, the Miami market is only 50% bigger than the SLC. Because, apparently, people in Palm Beach don't watch the Heat. They watch some other professional basketball team in their town. Ugh.

This.

Great point.

We're asking whether or not Mia is a big market? A child would know that.

I think they've grown into one, but aren't historically. Along those same lines, they won't be a big market if LeBron leaves. Places like L.A. and New York will always be big markets no matter what.

I agree. Not as big as LA or NYC but they have an incredible amount of disposable money down there.
Think of all the celebrities and athletes that have places down there.
Retirement money is there. Tourist dollars go there.
They have the kind of money that can support pro teams.

I agree. Not as big as LA or NYC but they have an incredible amount of disposable money down there.
Think of all the celebrities and athletes that have places down there.
Retirement money is there. Tourist dollars go there.
They have the kind of money that can support pro teams.

Right now I'm sure the team has more money to spend because of jersey sales and so on, but in 2011 they were actually below the cap limit. Dallas' payroll that year was about $30 million more than Miami's.

Miami is a major market. the whole market break ups are stupid. are Ogden slc and Provo different markets? yes, but they're not. that's the same thing that has happened in the south beach area.