What's new

Game Thread Jan 05, 2021 5:30PM MT: Jazz at Nets

Added to Calendar: 01-05-21

Perhaps a different way of looking at this: defining a good shooter. Back when Marshall was on the team, there was this debate about him not being a good shooter (at the time, he wasn't), but some people pointed to his >50% FG% to say that if he weren't a good shooter, his % wouldn't be so high, and neglected shot distribution and the fact that most all his attempts were at the basket. Using Royce on all defensive assignments "because he's a good defender" is the same type of logic as drawing up a play for Marshall jumpshots "because he has the best FG%." It completely neglects the dynamics of what actually goes into these numbers and lumps things together that are very different. The fact that we don't recognize that is what bothers me. But we'll keep drawing up jump shots for Marshall until someone else proves that can shoot a higher percentage from the field.

Maybe, but it seems a really simple experiment to ask if, perhaps, there's another type of defender available to evaluate who's sitting on the roster.

There's a false quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln that goes something like, "give me 6 hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first 4 hours sharpening the axe." The principle holds true, though. We often prioritize tasks based on what we believe is directly contributing the measurable success. Quin doesn't want to experiment because he's trying to hard just to win games. This is manifested with his Thibbs-ing. When we have a big task in front of us, it induces too much anxiety to feel like we're sitting by idly while the time for the task is passing us by, much like sharpening the axe would have us sitting there looking at that tree and not seeing any tangible progress at all while the axe is being sharpened. But engaging in that activity makes it more efficient later on. The person who picks up that axe and immediately starts swinging feels significantly better because, psychologically, they're (what they perceive as) being actively engaged in the task. It's too much of a mental barrier to overcome the feeling of anxiety that accompanies "not doing something," and it feels better to engage in inefficient activity.

A while ago @Handlogten's Heros gave a good summary of this problem when he mentioned that Locke was rationalizing our approach to the Denver series with, "we've never tried anything different the whole year, why would we try anything different now?" Maybe he can be more specific on this, but the argument is more an indictment of why we put ourselves in these situations. Us continuing to ride the main guys while seeing the glaring weaknesses that are there, without trying to find any kind of solution, while hoping that we can just Thibbs our way out of the situation, is going to lead to the same unsatisfactory results when later down the road we're facing the same problem, but feel we have to continue to double, triple, or quadruple-down because we don't know anything else. Or we just think, "hey, we just need to hit our shots and be better on offense." It's a little silly when perhaps there may actually be some interesting solutions riding pine.
I do think we need to experiment and they did do some zone last night. It’s just funny that it took them this long to experiment. The obvious issue with our defense is when teams pull Rudy out of the paint they can exploit us... so experiment with some options that keep him there.

With regard to rotations and players obviously I think Shaq should get some time especially on guards like Kyrie. The other options include putting DM on those guys or Mike and helping with Royce or maybe it makes the rotations a little sharper. You might have a shutdown cornerback but asking him to cover a huge tightens doesn’t work. It’s not like DM or Mike are carrying the offense to a point that they can’t give us good effort on that end. I think instead of turning DM into Dame we need to steer him more towards Kyle Lowry (not mirroring his game) but just more than a one way player. He likely is never that good defensively but should be able to be a better offensive player. Hell even Kyrie had to guard Steph in the finals.

Time to stop hiding those guys.