What's new

Game Thread Jan 17, 2022 08:30PM MT: Jazz at Lakers

Added to Calendar: 01-17-22

I thought Royce was good tonight. There was a stretch of play where he was getting tips and deflections on seemingly every possession. The team as a whole played well on defense. He also hit a couple shots, which could not be said for most tonight.

Honestly, the Jazz lost to a freaking Stanley Johnson offensive outburst. I love Stanley Johnson and have believed in him not matter how bad he’s been. But we can’t let Stanley Johnson running a PnR as the ball handler destroy us. The first time was a beat quirk by the Lakers. But it can’t take you 5-6 possessions to figure out how to stop SJ running a PnR with no shooters around him. If Quin was alive he would have stumped that out after one possession, but he’s incapable. We got Terrance Mann’d again…but worse. A 5 put offense can be tough when 4/5 of your defenses can’t guard a cone. But there’s no way SJ running PnR with no shooters around him should unravel your defense. I don’t care how bad your players are you figure that **** out fast.

The Lakers have had their ups and downs this year, but over the years they’re really good at shrinking the court. Vogel knows what he’s doing and trains his players well. I thought their ability to help and recover was the key to their defense. They were rotating way faster than we could move the ball. I don’t know where the Lakers rank right now defensively, but I know they can turn it up on defense. They have that infrastructure and leadership from LeBron.

I do think our defensive issues are mostly talent centered. We’ve had good defense in the playoffs with good defensive talent. But we can’t divorce these bad habits from Quin. If we had Stanley Johnson, he probably would be staying home on THT like he’s prime Ray Allen while we give up open lanes to the basket.

I feel like SJ bumped into more people tonight than all of our wings combined. He knows he has to do that to make an impact. I’m fking dying watching JC do the same thing, except his idea of making an impact is trying to score at will and there’s no consequence for hijacking the offense.
Stanley Johnson, Terrance Mann, Lamar Stevens, even Saddiq Bey, although Bey is having a good season but he scored double his average against us. We simply cannot contain anyone on the wing that basically tries at all.

How the **** did Quin not challenge the Bojan foul on LeBron at the end? What was he waiting for?
Quin doesn't challenge. He gets a bonus or something for not using them.

I have actually been surprise how many he has used this year. I thought he was getting better about that.

If I were a coach I would use my challenge very ****ing game. I would also likely get tossed a lot because I would be all up in the refs about ****. It is absolutely the truth that the refs respond to the loud-mouths. Squeaky wheel and all that.

Contrarian take. The Jazz will destroy the Lakers in a playoff series. They played tired last night and it was close. With some rest they would bury the Lakers.
I used to think this. Not so much anymore. A healthy AD and refs will be more than enough to shred this paper soft jazz team.

It was never going to be overturned... but I really wanted them to look at it too. Essentially Bogey leaned over which is illegal if the guy decides to plow straight into you??? Basketball officiating makes zero sense tbh. The old white guy ref is one of my least favorite... he makes weird calls.

I also wanted a review on the Westbrook dunk just because it definitely was not a foul on Rudy. It may not have been an offensive foul I guess... but I wanted to see if the refs felt a little dumb calling a foul on Rudy on that play. Its the foul call that probably annoys me most when the only contact is the guys off arm and they call it on Rudy.
And imo they changed stuff this year to make it easier to simply call what they want. When they are all always wildly inconsistent it is easier to call anything that they feel they need to rather than sticking to any kind of objective standard. Either that or there is an extreme learning curve for the new rules interpretations they are trying to apply. But the results have been so inconsistent it borders on random. We watch Bogey get hit across the face with no call, while on the other end Rudy has a forearm on a guy's back and gets called for a foul, or what-have-you. But it goes the other way as well, where we have been the recipients of plenty of favorable ****** calls, or more often than not, non-calls. The problem is the players and coaches are frustrated because no one can guess what the call will be in any given scenario because it seems to shift game to game and ref to ref. How often have we seen multiple players stop or hesitate because they all expected a foul to be called that wasn't. It is the worst officiating I can recall, just on the whole. We will always complain about individual calls, but the rampant inconsistency and lack of objectively applied standards is creating near chaos on the floor. It is ridiculous.

And imo they changed stuff this year to make it easier to simply call what they want. When they are all always wildly inconsistent it is easier to call anything that they feel they need to rather than sticking to any kind of objective standard. Either that or there is an extreme learning curve for the new rules interpretations they are trying to apply. But the results have been so inconsistent it borders on random. We watch Bogey get hit across the face with no call, while on the other end Rudy has a forearm on a guy's back and gets called for a foul, or what-have-you. But it goes the other way as well, where we have been the recipients of plenty of favorable ****** calls. The problem is the players and coaches are frustrated because no one can guess what the call will be in any given scenario because it seems to shift game to game and ref to ref. It is the worst officiating I can recall, just on the whole. We will always complain about individual calls, but the rampant inconsistency and lack of objectively applied standards is creating near chaos on the floor. It is ridiculous.
They also have a lot of replacement refs with covid and protocols as well... so hopefully it gets better but there are a lot of newbies.

The wild inconsistency would drive me crazy... but if I was a coach I'd have my guys flopping a lot... refs are so reactionary.

Best call from last night was the one off Bogey that got overturned. Westbrook just got an And 1 where the only contact was his off arm hooking the defender... Bogey gets hit twice on the arm and the call is off him. If you are already in the review and looking at the exact action please tell me why the rules say you can't call a foul? The whole point is to get it right and you got it wronger.

They also have a lot of replacement refs with covid and protocols as well... so hopefully it gets better but there are a lot of newbies.

The wild inconsistency would drive me crazy... but if I was a coach I'd have my guys flopping a lot... refs are so reactionary.

Best call from last night was the one off Bogey that got overturned. Westbrook just got an And 1 where the only contact was his off arm hooking the defender... Bogey gets hit twice on the arm and the call is off him. If you are already in the review and looking at the exact action please tell me why the rules say you can't call a foul? The whole point is to get it right and you got it wronger.
The flop thing is valid. They should simply flop on damn near everything. Not to the point where they take themselves out of the play, but maybe more like Rudy. Rudy with some regularity now stumbles away and holds his face. More than a few times the replay showed minor incidental contact or none at all to his face, he still does it. It is his version of flopping, and sometimes it works. Everyone needs a go-to flop reaction to try to get the call.

This team is so frustrating sometime. Shots aren't going in? Well, keep shooting! Do nothing different!

tk758Ejwu00e1uvS6D9CuYe0Fl4=.gif

Donovan was apparently concussed last night... so maybe that explains it.

I am not the "I told you so" type but...

I told you so.

Melo ain't losing to the Jazz. That outcome of last night's game was pre-ordained (look that one up, folks) eons ago. Ahab chases the whale, Jazz lose to Melo teams.

Here's another sure thing:
Knicks will humiliate the Jazz when we play you February 7th. Ahab chases the whale, Knicks humiliate the Jazz. Pre-ordained. Nothing can change it.

I am not the "I told you so" type but...

I told you so.

Melo ain't losing to the Jazz. That outcome of last night's game was pre-ordained (look that one up, folks) eons ago. Ahab chases the whale, Jazz lose to Melo teams.

Here's another sure thing:
Knicks will humiliate the Jazz when we play you February 7th. Ahab chases the whale, Knicks humiliate the Jazz. Pre-ordained. Nothing can change it.
Y’all ain’t even in the play in dawg