What's new

Jazz at Analytics Conference?

The brightest analytical minds in sports are gathering in Boston for the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. In the opening panel Rockets GM Daryl Morey mentioned the NBA is a stars league having a bunch of good coachable guys is just enough to get beat

That is where the Jazz stand right now. Having lost three stars in the past 9 months, Boozer, Deron and Sloan the Jazz are confronted with the difficulty of surviving without a star.

https://www.nba.com/jazz/features/locked_on_jazz.html

I'd guess they know about it and are NOT in attendance, besides we have the Miller Metric, and the Analytics don't track deflections...

I am sure it is. Just curious if the Jazz went because I believe analytics can help somewhat in figuring out the best roster to put together.

Analytical Rule 1: You can't match up against the Lakers when you have a 6'10" "Center" who likes to shoot 3's and a PF who is 6'7" in shoes.

Analytical Rule 2: The "Shooting Guard" position needs someone who can actually hit shots. Jerry Sloan, former head coach of the Jazz said it best when he told reporters he had plenty of shooters, but needed a "making" guard.
Corollary to Rule 2: Chucking is not the same as shooting. Insert picture here of CJ Miles for the Powerpoint presentation.

Analytical Rule 3: To win in this league, you generally need more than 15 points off your bench.

Analytical Rule 4: To win in this league, you need to have players who have a chance off contributing or getting better, not washed-up veterans.
Exhibit A: Insert picture of Francisco Elson. He needs to go back to Amsterdam and take up gardening. His game, whatever he used to have that is, has definitely gone to pot. So it's time to become a producer and consumer - not an NBA player.
Exhibit B: Raja Bell

Analytical Rule 5: You generally cannot teach clowns the game of basketball, refer those individuals to the circus, or if they insist they are "athletes," the rodeo. Insert picture of Kry, Karill, Klo (you know who I mean, that big goofy looking guy from the Jazz).

There, I just saved the Jazz FO a ton of money on conference fees and travel costs.

I tried to give rep too, but I got a message that says I must first spread some around just like Elson should spread manure in his garden.