What's new

Jazz attendance

Stifle Tower

Punch Bowl Re-Filler
I'm laughing at the announced attendance of the Clippers game of 18,479. I was there and the arena was no more than 2/3 full (and I'm being generous). However, I know teams count tickets sold, not actual butts in the seats. Do the Jazz have 16,000 or so season ticket holders? Because according to the game stats, less than 1,500 tickets went unsold (19,911 capacity vs. 18,479 "attendance").

Home attendance could be on pace to be the lowest EVER in the history of the Delta Center/ESA. Through 8 games this season, it's only 18,623. Last season (the worst ever) was only 18,125. But you have to believe if the Jazz keep losing, fans are going to stop coming at an increasing pace. There was some early season excitement (new coach, Exum, etc.), but I sense that has all but disappeared.

I think most fans grossly underestimate how many people are at each Jazz game. I would strongly disagree with you that the attendance announced was much different then it actually was. I'm at every game and at any given time the arena could look empty but other times during the same game it could be almost to capacity.

Go stand by the main exits during halftime, it's absolutely shocking how many people are leaving and also showing up for the first time. Between the 1,000 to 2,000 people leaving at halftime and another 1,000+ showing up at halftime for the first time can make a huge difference in the total attendance and make the arena feel empty.

I think most fans grossly underestimate how many people are at each Jazz game. I would strongly disagree with you that the attendance announced was much different then it actually was. I'm at every game and at any given time the arena could look empty but other times during the same game it could be almost to capacity.

Go stand by the main exits during halftime, it's absolutely shocking how many people are leaving and also showing up for the first time. Between the 1,000 to 2,000 people leaving at halftime and another 1,000+ showing up at halftime for the first time can make a huge difference in the total attendance and make the arena feel empty.

Perhaps. But at no time during the game were more than 2/3 of the seats full. Every section, even the lower bowl. I would guess most of the season ticket holders have lower bowl tickets so that might account for the variance. With shopping and the David Archuleta concert, there were better things to do than watch the Jazz half-*** their way to another loss. I would seriously rather watch Clark, Novak and some of the others get a chance than the 1st and 2nd teamers continue to give up wide open looks.

Some people are standing in the beer line, or in the bathroom, or buying a hotdog, or smoking a cigarette.

OP is a closet Miami fan

I am?
Only been to Miami one time. I hated it. Was 85 degrees and felt like 110 because of the humidity. I would NEVER live in Miami. And I have never and would never cheer for the Heat with/without LBJ.

Some people are standing in the beer line, or in the bathroom, or buying a hotdog, or smoking a cigarette.

Perhaps. Food lines were pretty short, even during halftime. Was anyone else at the Clippers game that noticed all the empty seats?

seriously every time i go there, there are kids just walk around and eat popcorn OUTSIDE. i mean they don't even bother watching the game. that's what happens when you can get a ticket under $15

I'm not local this season so I have no right to blame Jazz fans for not showing up. But the announcers can quit with the hostile environment bit for now because it was not worth paying to see what Greg Miller put on the court under Corbin. And it remains to be seen if we have a legitimate playoff squad in the making now.

Hopefully Greg (who has ruined the franchise since becoming involved) gets bored of going to basketball games, and people continue to not pay to show up for his abysmal product and he is forced to sell the team to new ownership (who wants to keep the team in Utah).

seriously every time i go there, there are kids just walk around and eat popcorn OUTSIDE. i mean they don't even bother watching the game. that's what happens when you can get a ticket under $15
These are the kids that got free tickets for playing Jr. Jazz. Every kid that signs up gets two free tickets.

Hopefully Greg (who has ruined the franchise since becoming involved) gets bored of going to basketball games, and people continue to not pay to show up for his abysmal product and he is forced to sell the team to new ownership (who wants to keep the team in Utah).

Dafuq?

I'm not local this season so I have no right to blame Jazz fans for not showing up. But the announcers can quit with the hostile environment bit for now because it was not worth paying to see what Greg Miller put on the court under Corbin. And it remains to be seen if we have a legitimate playoff squad in the making now.

Damn, you suck.

Originally Posted by HighlandHomie I'm not local this season so I have no right to blame Jazz fans for not showing up. But the announcers can quit with the hostile environment bit for now because it was not worth paying to see what Greg Miller put on the court under Corbin. And it remains to be seen if we have a legitimate playoff squad in the making now.

Damn, you suck.

Yes, he does.

I think Greg Miller is to be commended. It is a HUGE risk he's taking by going with a full rebuild (i.e. dumping the vets and going lottery last year and this one). Could have very easily kept Millsap, Foye and Carrol, won 45 or so games last season and challenged for the last playoff spot. Attendance would have held at just under 19K. Probably would have stuck with Corbin as the coach. And in the 12-14 range, the Jazz may have drafted someone like LaVine, Warren, Payne or even Hood. Jazz then have a team that competes for the 6-8 seed every season. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather see Utah take some chances to try to eventually contend. Jazz have two shots at getting franchise players. Exum MIGHT be one; we'll just have to see. And there are some very good prospects coming out this summer. Utah will certainly draft top-10, maybe even top-5. Add that pick, maybe a quality free agent and Utah is in business.