What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Been doing some research on potential free agent targets for the Jazz. I know this is somewhat aggressive, but Dennis Lindsey has repeatedly said they are going to be aggressive with free agents they like this year and has hinted that maybe they'll be using some of their assets via the draft to land a vet that is ready to contribute now. So here it goes...

Khris Middleton - shooting guard (defender and 3 point shooter)
Bismack Biyombo - bench player that accepts role (defender and rebounder)
Tristan Thompson - not sure he would take 6th man type role and will probably command Favors-type money (another defender and rebounder that can be a focal point on offense with the second unit)

My 10-man rotation would then be the following:

EXUM (20) BURKE (23)
MIDDLETON (24) BURKS (24)
HAYWARD (25) HOOD (23)
FAVORS (24) BIYOMBO (23)
GOBERT (23) THOMPSON (24)

Nice young team ages 25 and under next year! Will have to overpay Middleton and Thompson, and offer Biyombo a mid-level exception or less. I like Burks off the bench...hoping he would accept that role. Middleton is a nice shooter/defender that would compliment Hayward.

There are other nice free agents out there like Draymond Green and Jimmy Butler, but will get matched on any offers, including the max, IMO. I also like guys like Wes Matthews, Danny Green, etc, but they are a little older and have good situations with playoff contenders. I also like Greg Monroe, but not sure how he'd fit with a crowded front court with Favors and Gobert.

Booker is under contract next season. Need his energy. Middleton would be a nice add from what I've read.

Jazz will get a SF type and a backup C. 1 will come from the draft, the other possibly FA, unless they can get Tibor or Tomic to come over. My ideal offseason would be get Tomic to come over, draft Stanley Johnson or Hezonja (would have to trade to move up), and get Raul Neto to come over.

Exum/Burke/Neto
Burks/Hood/Exum
Hayward/Johnson/Ingles
Favors/Booker/
Gobert/Tomic/

Trade Burke for some asset about midseason if Raul is picking things up.

I don't think you can keep Burks and Burke. Two chuckers coming off the bench won't work. You only need one.

Trey Burke for Tony Snell. Chicago needs a PG, we need a 3&D guy.

I don't think you can keep Burks and Burke. Two chuckers coming off the bench won't work. You only need one.

Trey Burke for Tony Snell. Chicago needs a PG, we need a 3&D guy.
Just so you know, this season with Burks in the starting lineup, Burks was shooting the 4th most attempts per game on the team despite being second in minutes.
Trey, Hayward, and kanter all took more attempts per game than Burks.

The thought of Burks being a chucker is a myth.

Trey on the other hand.........

Just so you know, this season with Burks in the starting lineup, Burks was shooting the 4th most attempts per game on the team despite being second in minutes.
Trey, Hayward, and kanter all took more attempts per game than Burks.

The thought of Burks being a chucker is a myth.

Trey on the other hand.........

Isn't Burks ideal role a chucker? Isn't he more effective dominating the ball? So why hold him back? Move Burke, have Burks come off the bench and give him free reign to do what he does best.

Isn't Burks ideal role a chucker? Isn't he more effective dominating the ball? So why hold him back? Move Burke, have Burks come off the bench and give him free reign to do what he does best.
Ya, you are probably right.

And as another poster in another thread said, dl seems to be building the team based on defense and ball movement and with kanter and burks not playing we are looking pretty good even with a bunch of d leaguers playing.

It might be that if Burks wants to be a part of this team then it's in his, and the teams, best interest for him to be the scorer of the second unit...... or make big changes to his game. Primarily on the defensive end.
Offensively this year he was taking more three pointers and making them at career high percentage, and he was moving the ball pretty well (career high assist numbers) while attacking less and getting to line less (may have been by design or due to his shoulder).
If we become more of a fast break running team then Burks would thrive (our defense should lead to more to's and more fast breaks)........ and if not I have seen a willingness to adapt to the system from Burks this year.

He has a long way to go defensively though and maybe it's best if he just comes off the bench and does what he does best naturally

All the angst over Burks. Before the injury, he was doing exactly what Snyder wanted him to and was taking good shots instead of always slashing when he got the ball. He was learning the system and playing within it - and shooting the ball better than most were giving him credit for. I'm excited to see what the future has in store for him considering the huge jumps that we've seen in Gobert, Favors and Hayward this year. My only concern is his defense. He has the physical ability, but maybe not the awareness. Missing this season might be a blessing in disguise because Rudy has set the bar high for team defense and everybody knows what their expectations are moving forward. Burks should still fit into the starting job to help Hayward create on offense, but he now also knows that poor defense will end up with him coming off the bench with Burke.

Burks gon start

people are also forgetting about Hood, tbh. I'm still high on him.

Ya, you are probably right.

And as another poster in another thread said, dl seems to be building the team based on defense and ball movement and with kanter and burks not playing we are looking pretty good even with a bunch of d leaguers playing.

It might be that if Burks wants to be a part of this team then it's in his, and the teams, best interest for him to be the scorer of the second unit...... or make big changes to his game. Primarily on the defensive end.
Offensively this year he was taking more three pointers and making them at career high percentage, and he was moving the ball pretty well (career high assist numbers) while attacking less and getting to line less (may have been by design or due to his shoulder).
If we become more of a fast break running team then Burks would thrive (our defense should lead to more to's and more fast breaks)........ and if not I have seen a willingness to adapt to the system from Burks this year.

He has a long way to go defensively though and maybe it's best if he just comes off the bench and does what he does best naturally

Good points. Part of my wanting Burks on the second unit are selfish reason. I don't think Burks is better than Hayward and I think Exum will be better than Hayward and Burks. That means if Burks starts, he's a third or fourth option.

He is too much fun to watch to be a third or fourth option. I like him off the bench, because he can then do his thing, and be more entertaining to watch. He can own that second unit, and thrive in the offense as the #1 option off the bench instead of the third option starting.

Surround Burks with Hood/Snell and Exum when Hayward goes to the bench...wow. That could be fun.

My only concern is his defense. He has the physical ability, but maybe not the awareness.

I agree.
Regarding his defense: Burks main struggles on defense are with bigger stronger more physical guards that overpower him or post him up (d-wade, joe jonhnson types) and players that move well without the ball and are good three point shooters (klay, reddick, korver, matthews, danny green) because he ball watches and looks to help too much and go after rebounds

Burks is actually not a bad defender against some of the smaller ball dominant players. I have seen him shut down lillard in the second half of a game where he was killing us in the first half.
He also did a really nice job on Chris Paul.

Having a bigger pg that is good at defense and likes to play defense (exum) means that against some opponents we could put Burks on the pg and exum on the sg...... parker and green, paul and reddick, lillard and matthews, steph and klay, teague and korver, etc etc.
Burks does ok against quick small guys that don't run around too much off ball

I like franklin's direction on this but lets just go big; lets get trade Eli and Joe for Butler, Lebron, and Lillard and bring back Ty. If you are going to fantasize, why not go whole hog.

Been doing some research on potential free agent targets for the Jazz. I know this is somewhat aggressive, but Dennis Lindsey has repeatedly said they are going to be aggressive with free agents they like this year and has hinted that maybe they'll be using some of their assets via the draft to land a vet that is ready to contribute now. So here it goes...

Khris Middleton - shooting guard (defender and 3 point shooter)
Bismack Biyombo - bench player that accepts role (defender and rebounder)
Tristan Thompson - not sure he would take 6th man type role and will probably command Favors-type money (another defender and rebounder that can be a focal point on offense with the second unit)

My 10-man rotation would then be the following:

EXUM (20) BURKE (23)
MIDDLETON (24) BURKS (24)
HAYWARD (25) HOOD (23)
FAVORS (24) BIYOMBO (23)
GOBERT (23) THOMPSON (24)

Nice young team ages 25 and under next year! Will have to overpay Middleton and Thompson, and offer Biyombo a mid-level exception or less. I like Burks off the bench...hoping he would accept that role. Middleton is a nice shooter/defender that would compliment Hayward.

There are other nice free agents out there like Draymond Green and Jimmy Butler, but will get matched on any offers, including the max, IMO. I also like guys like Wes Matthews, Danny Green, etc, but they are a little older and have good situations with playoff contenders. I also like Greg Monroe, but not sure how he'd fit with a crowded front court with Favors and Gobert.
Middleton is not a defender
Booker is under contract next season. Need his energy. Middleton would be a nice add from what I've read.
Not a nice add at the price people here are talking about
Jazz will get a SF type and a backup C. 1 will come from the draft, the other possibly FA, unless they can get Tibor or Tomic to come over. My ideal offseason would be get Tomic to come over, draft Stanley Johnson or Hezonja (would have to trade to move up), and get Raul Neto to come over.

Exum/Burke/Neto
Burks/Hood/Exum
Hayward/Johnson/Ingles
Favors/Booker/
Gobert/Tomic/

Trade Burke for some asset about midseason if Raul is picking things up.
What makes u think there is even a remote chance either Neto or Tomic come over. I'm sick of hearing about Tomic in a jazz uni. Not happening till he's old and gray
Don't ignore me NAOS, do you wanna go grab a coffee one of these days?
Why not wine and dine him. Go alllllllll the way.

Hey everyone, first post on these boards, so not really sure what all the common chatter is right now. But I'm just going to go over what I'm thinking for the team going forward into the next season and what we should be looking for.

Recently (after the break) I've really been a fan of our overall defensive effort but our offensive side of the ball still leaves a bit to be desired. The current players I see as rotation pieces moving forward are Exum, Burks, Hayward, Favors, Booker and Gobert. Hood and Burke are both more than solid players don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure how well they fit the new defense first and passing based balanced offense Quinn seems to be striving for going forwards. Burke seems a bit ball dominant to play with Burks, and he and Exum are an awkward fit together. Hood I just haven't seen quite enough from, if he could improve his shooting and defense just a bit I could buy him being a valuable player for us as well. And I don't really expect any of our overseas players to come over any time soon, any word on that for any of them? So that leaves needing about 4 more players to fill out our rotation for next season, with Hood and Burke as potentially movable pieces.

Things I think we'd need (no particular order)
1. Ballhandling- with Exum as the primary PG we'd need at least one more primary ballhandler to shore up that spot.
2. Shooting- Burks and Hayward can hit the occasional jumper, but we're in need of a bit more.
3. Defense- All new additions need to play some D so we can build on that identity.
4. Size- just need one more frontcourt player to fill out the rotation really.

So going into the offseason we'll have some cap room, but have never really been able to land a big signing before and I really don't expect that to change, so I feel we should aim for rotational pieces there. In the draft meanwhile I expect us to wind up around the 9th pick or so where there should be some solid players to go for. And even in the second round I could see us grabbing a back of the rotation guy. So here's some of the guys I'd like for us to target in the draft/free agency and a couple lineups I could see us rolling out next season depending on which route we went.

Draft
-Stanley Johnson- Probably not going to be there when we pick, but he'd be a great pickup.
-Mario Hezonja- Could either be a great scorer off the bench or could move Burks to the bench.
-Justice Winslow- One of my ideal targets right now (realistically) I think he could slot in at the two and hopefully develop his shot while playing some great D and letting Burks take over leading the bench mob.
-Willie Cauley-Stein- I think he'd be great at what we'd ask him to do, could be a top defender at either the 4 or 5 and could really provide some great time off the bench.
-Dakari Johnson- If available in the second round I'd be more than willing to take a flyer on him, ton of potential. Big body.
-Ron Baker- I really like him as player and believe he could play well alongside any of our other backcourt guys so that's a big plus.
-lots of other options for the second round depending on who falls of course.

Free Agency
-Going to focus mostly on unrestricted players, as I'd love to have a Butler or Beverly, but believe any reasonable offers will be matched.
-Wesley Matthews- Solid and everything we'd be looking for in a guy to move Burks to the bench, wish he'd never have left.
-Danny Green- Great shooter, solid D, I'm interested.
-Ed Davis- Puts up numbers when he gets a chance.

So if we got a bit lucky in the lottery or used Burke to move up a couple of picks I'd love a lineup like this:
Exum/Baker
Green/Burks
Hayward/Johnson
Favors/Booker
Gobert/Johnson or Davis

So what are everyone's thoughts?