What's new

John Wooden dies

Just a bit before my time, so I don't really have an opinion other than, "Who cares?".

Well, if you want something about John Wooden to mean something to you, the Utah Jazz' offense has many of John Wooden's principles in it.

The greatest basketball coach ever. HBO did a show a couple years ago about him and the Bruins. I doubt there are many ex-Bruins who would speak ill of Coach Wooden. He was a better man than he was a coach. The world could use more John Woodens. So, to answer Trout, I care.

The greatest basketball coach ever. HBO did a show a couple years ago about him and the Bruins. I doubt there are many ex-Bruins who would speak ill of Coach Wooden. He was a better man than he was a coach. The world could use more John Woodens. So, to answer Trout, I care.

I should re-state my opinion: I don't know a darn thing about him, never saw him coach, and never read anything about him. I've heard of him, I know there's a trophy named after him, and he did a lot for the game. Props to him for that. I don't care because I'm ignorant of him, not because I'm a dick.

More than double the number of championships of the next best coaches. Truly awesome coach. 99 years is a helluva good run. RIP Coach.

Wasn't it Wooden that said John Stockton was the only NBA player that he'd actually pay to watch in a game?

Kinda like Bobby Knight, except Bobby said he would rather watch two frogs mate than any of them, as I recall.

Seemed like a truly class act and a quality modern(semi)day philosopher. R.I.P.

Some reading for Trout, to help educate him about Coach Wooden:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/columnists/la-sp-0605-wooden-plaschke-20100605,0,6728380.column?track=rss

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:John_Wooden

My favorite Coach Wooden story comes from, of course, Bill Walton. In protest of the war in Vietnam, Walton let his hair grow long. When he reported to the gym for the first practice, Coach Wooden looked at him and told him that if he wanted to play for UCLA, he had to cut his hair to comply with the team rules. Walton told Coach Wooden, that his hair was a show of protest to the war going on and that by asking Walton to cut his hair, Coach Wooden was infringing on his basic rights of freedome of expression. Coach Wooden told Walton that he admired the fact that Walton was standing up for his principals and that his social awareness was to be commended, but he would not be on the team and that he hoped Walton enjoyed the rest of his stay at UCLA. Walton said at that moment, he realized Coach Wooden was serious so he ran out, go on his bike and rode to the nearest barber shop and got his hair cut to meet Coach Wooden's requirements.

Trout, if you can find it, look for the HBO show on Coach Wooden and UCLA. You will see why the man was revered by everyone.

he lived a good, long life and died a good, short death - but it's really tough when legends die, no matter what the circumstances

he gave a lot to the game of basketball - thanks Coach Wooden!

My dad has some good Wooden stories that he told me growing up, thus when Wooden showed up at a basketball game and they panned to him on T.V., or I'd see him in person at a game, that was my hint that it was a big game. Not ****ing Chris Rock, Jack Nicholsan, Spike Lee, or Adam Sandler - John Wooden.