What's new

Game Thread Jul 09, 2024 07:00pm: Thunder Vs Jazz (Summer League)

Added to Calendar: 07-09-24

Gohlke forced Flip into a travel then juked him out of his shoes and buried a three over him. Tough night.

Brice - Got buckets, gave buckets.

Williams - Doesn’t do much bad, but the problem is he does nothing. Clutch 3 at the end of the game to avoid the second half Snell stat line.

Collier - Had some moments, he plays with some intensity at least. Not a great decision maker.

Flip - AWFUL defense.

Lofton - Tough shooting night, but still demonstrated some offensive skill + looked ok on defense which is saying something.

Bazley - Great hustle again

Preston - The best of the others for sure

DJones - Absolutely cooked tonight. Can he actually shoot or just a hot shooting night?

Dieng - Has improved his skill level a ton, looks good when the shot goes in. Still think he might be a year away. Will Cody Williams mimick his development?

A Mitchell - Ty Jerome reincarnate

Cody Williams has a wind up jump shot with a super slow release. I know we drafted him for potential, but fixing a slow motor is a tough skill to improve on.
He does do everything slowly - dribbles, shoots, drives at the rim - but he is incredibly smooth and deliberate doing it and has a very soft touch. Shades of prime Joe Ingles. Cody will be very, very good in a couple of years.

Went to the game again and it the crowd was a graveyard after how electric yesterday was (and for good reason, this was a soulless ****-fest)

Overall though it's the summer league and the insane reactions are too much. Cody Williams is a quiet player but I still love his game when he flashes, just a silky smooth player (and we'll see as he adjusts to the NBA line, the guy was the king of the long 2 tonight). Flip had some really bad defensive moments, but I'm still much higher on him than most people here. Collier is still my favorite rookie by far, but he'll need time but has the intangible fire that you need.

It was the first summer league of the year with seemingly no system, I don't think you can expect or honestly gleen much. Las Vegas will be a bit better and then I'm excited to see how people come into training camp.

not sure what williams is supposed to be good at. he's slow, slow release, not sure he can shoot (today was the first time in 6 months that he's looked for his shot and was crap), gets killed defensively - doesn't move his feet, gets bullied, lacks lateral quicknes - despite his length is mostly a below the rim player who lacks explosiveness, doesn't make plays for teammates, doesn't rebound his position, is passive, can't get to the FT line (because he's so slow and can't - or won't - play an aggressive style). he's just 19, so he has time, but the slow release, the lack of aggression, lack of quickness and lack of explosiveness may never change - and this is just carried over from the player he was the last couple months of the college season. he's just meh in pretty much every aspect. 7 points (on 10 shots) 1 reb, in 30 minutes. it's hard to watch. rooting for the young guy, but i'm just not seeing the upside.

Last edited:
Come on, you did not like what you saw from Lofton? He was good in the paint against the bigs, he was (mostly) able to stay with the wings on the perimeter and generally played with poise and fire. The Jazz were +1 in his 23 minutes, by the way.
We already knew that before the game though.

Look Cody Williams has to ditch the braids. With his lack of do stuff and that look he will never beat the Tony Snell 2.0 comp.

But then he’s just Kevin Knox.

On a serious note, dude has some skill…but the extremely low motor is a concern. This ain’t a SL overreaction either…his peripheral numbers were extremely low in college.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team pull out so fast after a reasonably competitive beginning. No question that OKC came out with a burr in their saddle after that initial ten point loss to the Sixers. El matador defense and no offensive direction whatsoever for the Jazz. I’d call deer in the headlights but it’s pretty obvious that there’s little direction from the bench.

Look Cody Williams has to ditch the braids. With his lack of do stuff and that look he will never beat the Tony Snell 2.0 comp.
Williams - Doesn’t do much bad, but the problem is he does nothing. Clutch 3 at the end of the game to avoid the second half Snell stat line.
People forget Tony Snell was a star in Summer League. Cody would love being a SL Tony Snell...

Just a friendly reminder that Summer League performance is not predictive of even a player's rookie season. It's good for rookies to get a taste of the speed, length, and physicality of the NBA, but for fans it should just be for fun. The highest leading scorer for last year's summer league was Orlando Robinson, who coincidentally was just cut by Miami. Brandon Miller shot 35% from the field and 26% from 3. I remember one of the guys who struggled the most was Lively. I was really high on him pre-draft, but he looked awful in summer league. Cason Wallace, GG Jackson, and Podz all averaged less than 10pts/game on horrible shooting splits.

In General the Rookies:
- Have not played competitive basketball in months
- Are practicing AND playing on same days AND on back to back days
- Are playing with players and in systems they are unfamiliar with
- Are playing against players who are fighting for their NBA careers and that have 10 fouls to give.

The Summer League is good to see how a rookie moves, what skills look like they will translate in the NBA, and what general weaknesses they need to work on. In particular, if a rookie doesn't shoot well, I don't think it means much.

I don't know who this Jazz summer league coach is, but he should definitely be the interim head coach this coming season.
Lololololol

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Just a friendly reminder that Summer League performance is not predictive of even a player's rookie season. It's good for rookies to get a taste of the speed, length, and physicality of the NBA, but for fans it should just be for fun. The highest leading scorer for last year's summer league was Orlando Robinson, who coincidentally was just cut by Miami. Brandon Miller shot 35% from the field and 26% from 3. I remember one of the guys who struggled the most was Lively. I was really high on him pre-draft, but he looked awful in summer league. Cason Wallace, GG Jackson, and Podz all averaged less than 10pts/game on horrible shooting splits.

In General the Rookies:
- Have not played competitive basketball in months
- Are practicing AND playing on same days AND on back to back days
- Are playing with players and in systems they are unfamiliar with
- Are playing against players who are fighting for their NBA careers and that have 10 fouls to give.

The Summer League is good to see how a rookie moves, what skills look like they will translate in the NBA, and what general weaknesses they need to work on. In particular, if a rookie doesn't shoot well, I don't think it means much.
None of this tells me why Flip is being put on skates by various nobodies.

Back