What's new

Kanter trade opinion

QuinSnydersHair

I read the first 13 pages of the other thread and people seem about half and half on it. I'm of the opinion that it was a good, maybe even very good trade, all things considered. I get it, those of you who are angry. Kanter is a really good offensive player. He was a #3 pick. But let's be honest. He didn't want to be here. That was made abundantly clear over the last couple weeks.

Knowing that and that we are not severely hurting up front with Gobert and Favors, as well as Booker off the bench, why would we not trade him? Why would we keep around a malcontent? To match some other team's offer and later hope we can flip him? We have no idea if that would even be possible if we would've had to match something like 11M. And to tie up our books with 11M and possibly struggle finding trade partners for a disenchanted bench player as we try to build a team and chemistry seems foolish.

Instead, this trade does many great things. It should improve our team chemistry and camaraderie, improve our tank this year, give us a ton of cap flexibility this summer (when you consider Novak too was dumped) and give us more assets to move up in the draft.

We're potentially building something special here. Kanter didn't want to be a part of it. At all. And we made out very well, all things considered.

SMALL MARKET SMALL BRAINS. Just bravado to fool the sheep into believing. Players don't want to come because they know we DONT have a clue.

I'm a huge fan of this trade. Yes we had to bite the bullet on a #3 pick, but it's not like Derrick Williams, or Brandon Knight would have led us to the promised land. Our 27th pick in Gobert is playing like a top 3 pick and that's where we really win.
Yeah the picks we got weren't great, but who knows what we could get in the future if we package the OKC 1st round, GSW 1st round, and our own. We have assets out the wazzou, so we have flexibility to start getting better this off season and secure the future as well.

There are plenty of folks hoping kanter doesn't become a stud; I'm not one of them. I hope he becomes an allstar. My biggest issue with this trade is that we couldnt get pj3 on his rookie deal. The start of the season showed what he could do by averaging 17 for okc.

There are plenty of folks hoping kanter doesn't become a stud; I'm not one of them. I hope he becomes an allstar. My biggest issue with this trade is that we couldnt get pj3 on his rookie deal. The start of the season showed what he could do by averaging 17 for okc.

I wish we could have gotten PJ3 or something out of this trade, too. He still has upside and costs next to nothing.

But whatever. Kanter's time here was at an end. It was very clear. It's unfortunate we couldn't get more, but we have flexibility with picks and cap space moving forward. Most importantly, we've shown Gobert we're fully committed to him.