What's new

Kentuky cross country runner pulls out of the race because of the number.

Uhhh. Weird.

The mystical, magical God, who doesn't know true intentions, but instead only looks at trinkets, signs, and talismans...

Dumb people on both sides. Doesn't make Kentucky look good at all...just weird.

I worked with a gent a few years back who wouldn't write three consecutive sixes even if they were separated by a decimal. He would round up or down and didn't care if it made the numbers he reported slightly off.

Interesting how superstitions still take hold in a day of intellectualism.

Give the girl a different number and move on.

In some translations and ancient greek manuscripts the number is written as 616. I think to be safe they should avoid any number that can be used to derive the number 616 or 666 and any number that can be made using any of those numbers as well. That is the only certain way God can know that you are not secretly trying to invoke Satan.

Interestingly the number 666 is the sum of the first 36 numbers. So 1+2+3...+36 = 666. So just don't ever use any number between 1 and 36 in any context and you are assured to go straight to heaven!

After all, after all the Sundays spent in church, the 100% honest tithe, loving your neighbor as yourself, knowing your scriptures, partaking in every sacred ordinance available, and performing every good deed you can, you don't want to give God an excuse to say "Hey but that one day you ran with a bad number on your back...TO HELL WITH YOU!!!

Uhhh. Weird.

The mystical, magical God, who doesn't know true intentions, but instead only looks at trinkets, signs, and talismans...

Dumb people on both sides. Doesn't make Kentucky look good at all...just weird.
way to be a total dick.

So someone fill me in, what's supposed to happen if you have the number 666 on a piece of paper attached to your clothing? I get that it's the "sign of the beast" or whatever, but what's the actual significance of that number being written down or physically attached to you?

So someone fill me in, what's supposed to happen if you have the number 666 on a piece of paper attached to your clothing? I get that it's the "sign of the beast" or whatever, but what's the actual significance of that number being written down or physically attached to you?

The person in question believes that if they allow that number to be attached to them it will represent their acceptance of something God has forbidden. In revelation it implies that in the last days the followers of "the beast" will have his number placed on them and that it will be a sign that they follow "the beast". So if she allows them to give her that number, then she is implicitly following Satan. So to be true to her religion she cannot have the number of the beast on her as it would represent that she is a follower of Satan.

The person in question believes that if they allow that number to be attached to them it will represent their acceptance of something God has forbidden. In revelation it implies that in the last days the followers of "the beast" will have his number placed on them and that it will be a sign that they follow "the beast". So if she allows them to give her that number, then she is implicitly following Satan. So to be true to her religion she cannot have the number of the beast on her as it would represent that she is a follower of Satan.

Yeah, whatever. I would have taken the number and had some fun with it, like telling all the others not to get near me or I'd curse them. Still, the race organizers should have been more understanding. A huge number of people object to that number, just like many office buildings skip from floor #12 to #14. When I was heading up a software conversion project, we made the developers change their programming to block certain objectionable letter combinations when coming up with vendor id's (like FU, etc.). Still, I thought it was funny when I saw my new ID on an expense reimbursement (da ho).

I chuckle a little bit when I hear these kind of things. I know this^ sounds perfectly rational to many people, but I think it's straight up weird.

I chuckle a little bit when I hear these kind of things. I know this^ sounds perfectly rational to many people, but I think it's straight up weird.

It is straight up weird. Makes no sense at all even just from a logical standpoint assuming the existence and nature of deity. Throw in the question of the existence if deity at all and it becomes positively ludicrous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using JazzFanz mobile app