What's new

KOC - Bad at drafting talent?

Rate KOC's drafting ability

• Total voters

Mustang84

I was interested in looking up KOC's draft history since it looks like we will have some nice picks coming our way and many people have said that it's nice to have these picks, but KOC is terrible at drafting. I had forgot some of these, so I present to you the list:

2000 - DeShawn Stevenson
2001 - Raul Lopez, Jarron Collins
2002 - Curtis Borchardt
2003 - Sasha Pavlovic, Mo Williams
2004 - Kris Humphries, Kirk Snyder
2005 - Deron Williams, CJ Miles, Robert Whaley
2006 - Ronnie Brewer, Dee Brown, Paul Millsap
2007 - Morris Almond, Kyrylo Fesenko
2008 - Kosta Koufos, Ante Tomic, Tadija Dragicevic
2009 - Eric Maynor, Goran Suton
2010 - Gordon Hayward, Jeremy Evans

Based on this, and without looking at other GM's track records, do you consider KOC to be good, bad or decent at drafting talent?

Well, you should take into consideration during the 2001 draft Raul Lopez was rated by all the experts ahead of Tony Parker and the fact that you can never know if a player is going to blow out his knee, twice! And most of his picks since 2000 are still in the league, even considering our usual draft position and I'd say he's done about as good as you could hope for. There are definitely some obvious screw ups but what do you expect drafting in the 20's every season?

His worse year was 2004. You don't draft a undersized PF who shoots 44% from the field. Humphries has managed to stay in the league for being a decent hustle player. Snyder was drafted purely on need for a SG, a good example why you should pick best player available. That would have been Josh Smith, but we had AK beasting which blinded him from that.

I don't think he's any more hit and miss than any other GM in the league. He did pretty damn well with Paul Millsap, and the jury is still out on Hayward and Evans. Kris Humphries is a starter in the league (and not playing all that bad, even if it is for the Nets). Maynor is one of the better backup PGs in the league right now. Mo Williams is still plenty serviceable, as is Ronnie Brewer. A lot of players on that list were considered the best player available when they were taken.

Also, Morris Almond was a beast in NBA 2K8.

Snyder was drafted purely on need for a SG, a good example why you should pick best player available. That would have been Josh Smith, but we had AK beasting which blinded him from that.

That might be the pick that irks me the most, because they ended up moving AK to the 3 anyway once they signed Boozer.

I was interested in looking up KOC's draft history since it looks like we will have some nice picks coming our way and many people have said that it's nice to have these picks, but KOC is terrible at drafting. I had forgot some of these, so I present to you the list:

2000 - DeShawn Stevenson
2001 - Raul Lopez, Jarron Collins
2002 - Curtis Borchardt
2003 - Sasha Pavlovic, Mo Williams
2004 - Kris Humphries, Kirk Snyder
2005 - Deron Williams, CJ Miles, Robert Whaley
2006 - Ronnie Brewer, Dee Brown, Paul Millsap
2007 - Morris Almond, Kyrylo Fesenko
2008 - Kosta Koufos, Ante Tomic, Tadija Dragicevic
2009 - Eric Maynor, Goran Suton
2010 - Gordon Hayward, Jeremy Evans

Based on this, and without looking at other GM's track records, do you consider KOC to be good, bad or decent at drafting talent?

Just like every other GM in the league. Win some, lose a lot.

Picking Talent in the 1st Round with the #3 pick: A
Picking Talent in the mid first round (picks #14 - 30): D
Picking Talent in the 2nd Round: B+

i'd say he does a pretty average job overall, but picking in the 20's lately has been awful

Koufos over Ibaka, Batum, George Hill...oh man that was a fail
Maynor over Collison
Almond over Afflalo

i'd say he does a pretty average job overall, but picking in the 20's lately has been awful

Koufos over Ibaka, Batum, George Hill...oh man that was a fail
Maynor over Collison
Almond over Afflalo

There is always someone better is you look at ALL draft picks that come after. If you look at Maynor, he was a decent pick. A solid back-up at #20 is not bad at all.

I don't think you can say in any respect that he has failed or screwed up in terms of picks. I agree with many on this thread that it is a total crap shoot at 20. Obviously the reason Ibaka, Batum, and Hill went when they did and not earlier is that EVERY OTHER GM ahead of us didn't want them either. When you are picking that late how much difference statistically is there among 18-22? Really almost nothing. So if he had taken Batum and Koufos had gone 2 picks later would that GM have been a fail? No it was just luck that they picked who they did.

You really creep into the realm of all-out failure the higher you pick. At #9 there were a lot of players picked after Hayward that may have been worth the #9 pick. If he does not pan out you could say that was much more of a failure than Koufos.

I would actually say that the ability to find 2nd round picks that stay in the league is a better indicator of the GM's ability to identify quality talent. You could almost always jumble up the players between 18 and 24 and still not really have a much different outcome, but to find a diamond in the rough at #35 or even later, you then wonder what KOC saw in the guy (Sap) that all the other pickers up to #30-whatever did not. That is when you see if he can recognize talent. I think he is above average at drafting talent in the 2nd round. So completely average, maybe even a little above average in the first round, definitely above average in the 2nd round. Overall somewhat above average in his picks.